DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

3 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Get a new joke.I know you may struggle, but there are plenty of funny people who can probably help you. Also, Pogue made the mistake of loving Fallen Kingdom last night and admitting to writing that half way through watching, which was "the Baywatch defence". 

Fuuuuuucking hell. Touchy much? 

Jurassic World is in the same pile as the Marvel films for me, it was a nice little bit of junk food that didn’t really leave me satisfied. I’ve never really been desperate to revisit it and I’d say Fallen Kingdom was a bit shitter. I think I only genuinely love the first film to be honest.

World and Fallen Kingdom suffer in much the same way as many modern blockbusters, you can’t see the film makers craft and they lack soul. I know aesthetically they look great but for me they lack the authenticity you’d get from a classic Spielberg summer blockbuster. Shit, even Michael Bay left more of a stamp on his films than the current crop do.

• Paid Members

Fallen Kingdom is so much worse, it's the only Jurassic Park film to treat the dinosaurs with no sense of wonder or respect.

The dinosaurs are just a commodity to be killed off, moved about and be the maguffin for human characters unimaginative interactions, it's like it never occurred to them people might watch the film because they like dinosaurs. If the film had just been about saving and moving the dinos it could have been a cool and different JP movie but all the human baddie stuff made it impossible to enjoy. 

8 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Fuck that. Jurassic World doesn't rehash any of the best bits of the originals and has no crowd pleasing moments.

Agree with it being a film that doesn't really hit the mark and theoretically could have been better but as far as crowd pleasing moments goes, seeing the park finally open with all the attractions is the closest to recapturing the wonder of the first glimpses of dinosaurs from the original, that's a damning review of the films that followed though. The wonder doesn't last long unfortunately but that was something on first watch that stood out. Fallen Kingdom lost the plot and could have maybe been interesting if it'd not come up with fourth wall breaking genetically engineered winking super dinos and maybe looked at the dinosaur rescue element but I guess the first trying to capture the first film beats meant they didn't want to redo "A T-Rex in San Diego". That said, it probably would have been a better film and looks like what they're aiming for with World 3.

The Nice Guys (Prime)

Been on my list for a while. Shane Black has a thing about cars careering down hills in Hollywood?  Really good film, well shot, well acted. Really cannot understand why I cannot get into Kiss Kiss Bang Bang at all despite several attempts at watching it though. Anyone suggest any particular thing I am missing, seeing as I love Last Boy Scout, Long Kiss Goodnight and now Nice Guys?

I'm struggling with The Raid 2 as well. Multiple attempts, just not catching my attention. Ick

I genuinely don't know if I've seen Fallen World.  Mrs Loki thinks we have but I think we just saw the extended trailer and thought "fuck that".  Even having read the plot synopsis I still can't tell if I've seen it or not.

More than once recently I've started watching a film only to think "aah, shit, I've seen it".  Ones from the last 10 years too.  Anyone else get this?

Watched Water World the other night. I don't think I've ever made it to the end of that film and somehow I'd found some super extended directors cut for my first attempt to watch the whole thing. It's not amazing but I wouldn't say it's as shit as it gets made out to be. One of the things everyone seems to remember was them spending $200m to make it and it bombing so I did a bit of reading and huge chunks of the budget went on Kevin Costners hairline being digitally altered and him insisting on being put up in a $4.5k a night suite with a butler and a chef which made everyone in the rest of the crew hate his guts. What I really want to know is how much they paid for Kim Coates to learn how to do that horrendous accent.

Wife is demanding we watch The Postman next. Eurgh.

Couldn't find a better thread to ask this in but figured this was the best bet, I watched a film years ago on BBC 2 where a woman looks for the lad who killed her son on a Scottish housing estate, thought Gina McKee was in it but looked at her filmography and couldn't see it

Anyone got a clue? 

53 minutes ago, Juan Manforce said:

Red Road

29 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

^ Yeah, it's Kate Dickie in the lead role. Great film, too, and one for all the family.

Cheers lads, was doing my head in

Definitely right about it being equally great and grim, it's up there with Bad Lieutenant for me needing a shower after I'd watched them, which I suppose is a compliment to the respective filmmakers 

TREES LOUNGE (AMAZON)  - Steve Buscemi's directorial debut. A really good little movie. I sometimes forget just how talented Buscemi is as an actor. Probably up there with the best character actor of the last 30 odd years (with Seymour Hoffman) Anyway I loved this film. I watched it mainly as it was an inspiration for David Chase on who he wanted to cast in The Sopranos (a lot pop up)