DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, ThumpSquids said:

Re-watched Song of the Sea last night, for the eleventeenth time. My 9 year-old isn't much into movies, but he'll always sit and watch this one with me. It's gorgeous. 

It's possibly the most beautiful animated film I've ever seen, an awesome film.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Morricone's score is a big part of the reason why The Untouchables is so great. It's perfectly matched. Great article about it here:-

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/06/30-years-ago-ennio-morricone-proved-he-was-untouchable/

THUNK!!! BWAAAWAAA...THUNK!blat(chugga)blat(chugga)blat(chugga)blat(chugga)blat(chugga)blat(chugga)blat(chugga)blat

Diddledin (blatblatblat) dinin (blatblat) diddledin didi diddledin didi dadidledun din...THUNK!

Diddledin (blatblatblat) dinin (blatblat) dididdlin dinin dadiddledin dannin din danduddledoodledinnin...THUNK!

Honestly, when I heard the Main Ttiles live, I nearly cried. A wonderful, amazing piece of music that lets you know you're in for something special.
Morricone made everything that bit better, though.

Fuck all of you, Dances With Wolves is a fucking masterpiece.  Sure, it's white saviour as fuck, but it's ace.  The Untouchables is another reason why the Oscars are shit and worthless.  Connery winning one for playing an Irish cop with a Scotch accent? Nah m8

• Paid Members

I've never actually seen Dances With Wolves, mostly for how long it is. I reckon I'd like it though because I'm a Costner fan.

The Untouchables is one of my favourites of all time though. I just remembered that the esteemed Mr. Seven commissioned me to do an article on its soundtrack a few years back as well but I can't find it now.

• Paid Members

The Ref - It's really actually quite good, even though Denis Leary still has 'that' stand up stink off him, that I find hard to look past sometimes but I have enjoyed him in this, Suicide Kings, Monument Ave and Who's the Man, so he's not as much a shitebag as I thought. Or maybe he is...but he was still less discomforting to watch than Spacey. 

My missus thought Leary was "Your man Slim Shady, that you fancy from the thing with your one with the mad jumpers. " (she meant Joel Kinneman and The Killing) so fair play Leary. He does look quite handsome with a bit of downy fluff on his face, in fairness to the lad. 

But, yes, very good movie and one I'll probably watch again at Christmas.

I must watch more Judy Davis also. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I must watch more Judy Davis also. 

I'm assuming you've seen Barton Fink, but if not definitely that. I watched a film with her in a few months ago called My Brilliant Career that she's fantastic in, think it was maybe only her second role. I've heard Heatwave is really good too but I can never find it online. But like you, I could do with seeing more of her, she's great.

• Paid Members

Ah, I adore Barton Fink. Not one misstep in that movie. 

I only binged all the Coen Brothers' flicks up as far as O Brother, a couple weeks back and even your mentioning Barton Fink makes me want to watch it again. 

Had no idea Judy David was in Blood and Wine, either. I actually really enjoyed that in the cinema, so I'm popping that on now. Nefarious means. Demand a genuine casette from your video store...

• Paid Members

Dead Silence (Netflix)

Just total, complete and utter piss from start to finish. Mark Wahlberg might be a racist, weird cunt but at least he's not Donnie trying to act. That ending as well. GOD.

The Browning Version (1994) (Google Play)

Magnificent version of the Terence Rattigan play. Albert Finney's as brilliant as always (almost as good as in Miller's Crossing here) and if you don't know the story, go in blind with this one and let it surprise you.

Volcano and Dante's Peak (nefarious means / Netflix)

Had to watch them back-to-back. It's a narrow win for Volcano for me, Clive, because it has some nerve with that ending which is unintentionally the funniest and most horrible thing I may ever have seen. The effects in Dante's Peak are still great though.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

"Is that your recipe for frog soup?" 

"No, it's my recipe for disaster"

That's one of my worst lines in movie history.

At least it's not, "They all look the same."

1 hour ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Ah, I adore Barton Fink. Not one misstep in that movie. 

I only binged all the Coen Brothers' flicks up as far as O Brother, a couple weeks back and even your mentioning Barton Fink makes me want to watch it again. 

Had no idea Judy David was in Blood and Wine, either. I actually really enjoyed that in the cinema, so I'm popping that on now. Nefarious means. Demand a genuine casette from your video store...

I used to religiously watch every Coen Brothers movie but somewhere along the way... something happened.  They started to make, well, some films that I really didn't enjoy - Intolerable Cruelty, Ladykillers, Burn After Reading and A Serious Man.

So now I almost don't want to watch their films in case they disappoint me.  I did watch that Netflix portmanteau which was pretty good so maybe I should go back and give the others a go.

Managed to watch a few decent films recently, my favourite of which was Bright Angel

I'd never heard of it before but it's exactly the sort of thing I like, a kind of independent neo-noir with western overtones. The 90 minutes breezed by and there's some good performances there, particularly Lili Taylor, who I've always liked. 

Would recommend for people who like Gas Food Lodging, Lone Star and the like. 

Another decent one was Fear, with Marky Mark and Renee Zellwegger. It was described as 'Fatal Attraction for teens' and that's exactly what it is, basically. 

Director James Foley has had such an odd career. He's made some really good films like this, At Close Range and Glengarry Glen Ross and then some terrible shite like Who's That Girl? and the Fifty Shades films. An odd one. 

Skipped Costner night last night and watched Taken with our 15 year old daughter instead. Some of the dialogue is absolute shite, it's the first time she's seen it and she was in stitches at the "I will find you" speech and said it was "totally cringe". The fight sequences are still top drawer though, particularly the punchy punchy stabby parts. Also I struggle to find a scene in a film that makes me laugh as much as Liam Neeson's character waiting at the French agent's house with his wife, her cooking dinner for the three of them, offering Neeson more carrots and him then shooting her in the fucking shoulder.

Daughter was telling us how she was confident she'd be able to kick the shit out of those Albanian traffickers so we got chatting about Becky. Looks like we'll be watching that again tonight which I don't mind in the slightest.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

Another decent one was Fear, with Marky Mark and Renee Zellwegger. It was described as 'Fatal Attraction for teens' and that's exactly what it is, basically. 

It's been a while but I'm sure it's a young Reese Witherspoon.