DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Loki said:

I used to religiously watch every Coen Brothers movie but somewhere along the way... something happened.  They started to make, well, some films that I really didn't enjoy - Intolerable Cruelty, Ladykillers, Burn After Reading and A Serious Man.

That's pretty much what happened me. Rightly or wrongly - and more likely, the latter - I gave up on them after the beautiful 'O Brother, Where Art Thou?' because of the string of movies of - in my opinion - declining quality that followed. No Country for Old Men got me excited again and then absolutely wasted such a magnificent cast with Burn After Reading, which my mate maintains is their greatest movie. Takes all sorts, I suppose.
But like yourself, I'm second guessing myself...

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

That's pretty much what happened me. Rightly or wrongly - and more likely, the latter - I gave up on them after the beautiful 'O Brother, Where Art Thou?' because of the string of movies of - in my opinion - declining quality that followed. No Country for Old Men got me excited again and then absolutely wasted such a magnificent cast with Burn After Reading, which my mate maintains is their greatest movie. Takes all sorts, I suppose.
But like yourself, I'm second guessing myself...

Burn After Reading is shite but A Serious Man, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs and Hail Caesar are all really solid. True Grit is fantastic. They're probably past their best now but still making really good films, usually.

• Paid Members

Burn After Reading has Brad Pitt playing 1992 Brad Pitt and George Clooney destroying a dildo chair, as well as John Malkovich doing angry aerobics. It doesn't all hang together sensationally, but it made me laugh a lot.

• Paid Members

I hated Intolerable Cruelty as well. By and large, when the Coens try and do broad comedy, it doesn't work at all. They're much better doing dark comedy and marrying it to crime like they did with Raising Arizona.

Of course, Miller's Crossing is their best and the best film ever made as me and @PowerButchi have been trying to tell people for years.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Burn After Reading is shite but A Serious Man, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs and Hail Caesar are all really solid. True Grit is fantastic. They're probably past their best now but still making really good films, usually.

I spotted True Grit had been added to Netflix recently and must rewatch it. Loved that film when it came out.

I go to bat for Inside Llewyn Davis as a great film too, I love the picaresque nature of it, and Singing Oscar Isaac is fantastic, but most people I know who’ve seen it didn’t like it at all.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator
Autocorrect doesn't like Welsh names

I don't think I've seen a Coen Brothers film that I'm indifferent about, I either really like them, or love in the case of Barton Fink, or I can't stand them, in fact just to amuse myself I'll list them off the top of my head 

Barton Fink, Hudsucker Proxy, Raising Arizona, Big Lebowski, Blood Simple, Miller's Crossing, No Country for Old Men

Couldn't stand 

Fargo, Burn After Reading and The Ladykillers, the latter two especially are hideous 

Just remembered I watched O brother where art thou? and would actually say I'm indifferent to it, so basically I've just contradicted the entire point of my post

The Coens have made a lot of really, really good films and a couple of great ones. Even when their films don't completely work there's usually something enjoyable to be found in them. 

My favourites are Blood Simple, Raising Arizona, Fargo, The Big Lebowski and Barton Fink. 

The Man Who Wasn't There should get more love than it does, too. 

Need to give Miller's Crossing another watch as it's been years and I've fancied The Hudsucker Proxy but not taken the time to sit down and watch it. 

Any good? 

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I go to bat for Inside Llewelyn Davis as a great film too, I love the picaresque nature of it, and Singing Oscar Isaac is fantastic, but most people I know who’ve seen it didn’t like it at all.

I liked it but it was a bit dry and overly serious for my my tastes.

1 minute ago, SaitoRyo said:

I've fancied The Hudsucker Proxy but not taken the time to sit down and watch it. 

Any good? 

Yeah it is. Much like The Man Who Wasn't There, it's rather unfairly seen as one of their lesser works but it's very funny and clever. One of the few times I've been able to abide Tim Robbins as well.

1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Yeah it is. Much like The Man Who Wasn't There, it's rather unfairly seen as one of their lesser works but it's very funny and clever. One of the few times I've been able to abide Tim Robbins as well.

Assuming one of the other times is The Player? 

I watched that again fairly recent and fuck me what a film it is. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

Assuming one of the other times is The Player? 

I watched that again fairly recent and fuck me what a film it is. 

Yes, The Player is a great film. I'm a massive Robert Altman fanboy but it's certainly one of his best.