DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Pogue said:

Haha I do appreciate I'm in the minority with not liking Fargo, just thought it was dull

I'll admit Fargo is one that's never quite connected with me. I've tried a few times but it's never left a lasting impression.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

If you only watch one of the more recent Coens then make it True Grit, a magnificent remake with an extraordinary turn from kid Hailee Steinfeld.

Top 3 Coen’s for me are Millers Crossing, O Brother and Lebowski but the only one I choose with ease is Millers, those bloody hats!

• Paid Members

Da 5 Bloods (Netflix)

The perfect time for a new Spike Lee. And as ever with him, it's messy and complicated and occasionally bewildering. But it's also quite often amazing and extremely loud. I don't think anybody could be ready for what this is actually like, nor for just how brilliant Delroy Lindo is in it. The role he's always deserved and the performance of a lifetime.

7 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Da 5 Bloods (Netflix)

The perfect time for a new Spike Lee. And as ever with him, it's messy and complicated and occasionally bewildering. But it's also quite often amazing and extremely loud. I don't think anybody could be ready for what this is actually like, nor for just how brilliant Delroy Lindo is in it. The role he's always deserved and the performance of a lifetime.

I'll give that a go over the weekend. Love Spike Lee Joints and Delroy Lindo is superb in pretty much everything I have seen him in. Only recently found out that Delroy is British by birth and nearly 70, which was a bit of a shock as I thought he was about 50 and American.

• Paid Members

That's good to hear. I'm looking forward to watching this over the weekend. I rewatched Clockers a few weeks ago and Lindo os one of those actors who's reliably great even when the material he's working with isn't. 

Spike Lee movies are, as Gladders said, always messy but he's a hell of a filmmaker still.  I like that he's still angry.  I will definitely give this a watch.

Da 5 Bloods

As am unashamed Spike Lee fanboy ( I even love Bamboozled) I was really looking forward to this...until I saw the run time.

No need to worry, it's a masterpiece. In my opinion, Spike is (and has been since he debuted) the most underrated film maker around, and I will always go to bat for him.

The way he weaves the narrative together, the decision not to use younger actors in the flashbacks which adds to the gravity of the situation, the way it addresses issues currently present in America but isn't overt about it, the way it's shot. It's glorious.

You can say he's messy and sprawling, and that's true of most of his films, and this one is no exception, but the heart and soul he pours into everything is evident. He's also one of the most culturally relevant film makers around who is always trying to move with the times and innovate.

The performances? Outstanding. Chadwick Boseman oozes charisma and takes up the whole film when he appears. And Delroy Lindo? Well, I don't give a fuck about awards and no one should, but if he's not nominated for every award going, and doesn't win them, I'll personally go and beat up every member of the Academy. Staggering.

To think, Oliver Stone was set to direct this. What a bullet dodged.

11/10. There won't be a better film this year.

• Paid Members

Da 5 Bloods commands every second of your attention during it's run time. I've just watched it so feel a little bit dizzy after it all, but it's definitely one of Spike Lee's better efforts. Not the masterpiece that is BlacKkKlansman, but it gets close in some parts.

Personally, I find Spike Lee films to be a mixed bag but that's two undeniable films he's released in a row.

45 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Chadwick Boseman

Not gonna lie. I thought I’d found another The Good Fight fan at first glance. (For those who don’t know, Delroy Lindo’s character is called Boseman) 

• Moderators

It was weird that every word of DA 5 BLOODS' subtitles were capitalised, Like How Your Dad Types On Facebook When He's Being Racist. I've never seen that before. At one point there's even a bit of dialogue (said quite calmly) like "this way!!!" with three exclamation marks. I figured it was an error rather than a choice, but the closing text is all capped-out like a song title too. Spike Lee's such an odd director. Obviously he's made a bunch of great stuff, but he's one of those ones, like Herzog, who sometimes directs like he's never even seen another movie before; like he's figuring out film-making techniques as he goes along. A few of the action sequences in this were staged like a Troma film, just no sense of geometry, with camerawork like a sixth form project. I don't want to seem like I'm shitting on it, because I guess that's part of his charm, although there was one moment which took me right out of it where

the guy suddenly stands on the landmine. It's obviously meant to be a huge emotional moment, but they cut to him wearing this ludicrous rubber torso squirting blood everywhere, and it reminded me so much of that really misjudged bit in The Butterfly Effect where Kutcher wakes up and does a big double-take as the camera pans back to reveal he's got no arms.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

Continued our habit of watching more films in a day then we watch in the average month. Watch Along Came Polly which we saw when it came out and it's as boring and cliche now as it was then. The lasses enjoyed it though.

Then actually got to watch something decent so picked The Nice Guys off my watchlist. Thought it would be something I'd come back to after falling asleep but ended up watching it all. What a great film. I can't believe no-one on here has recommended it...

Quality cast, obviously, but I thought Gosling was particularly great. It's a brilliant character too. They both are. The young lass was really good too. 

Thrilling story that revealed itself as the film went on, gratuitous tits, good scrapping, two flawed but supportable anti-heroes, a kid whose smarter and more wholesome than any of them and funny dialogue. What's not to like?