DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

Skyscraper

As long as you're happy to suspend all knowledge of gravity then it's an above average Rock disaster vehicle.  Towering Inferno meets Die Hard, but obviously not as good as those.

Is it better then Rampage? I’ll pretty much watch a film with Dwayne in it, but I hated it (probably because I loved the games)

• Paid Members

Danger Diabolik followed by the absolutely incredible Class of 1984.

I have been a huge fan of Class of 84 since I was a kid, and the revisit to it last night just rekindled my love affair/obsession with it.  Perry King should have been a bigger star than he was and it dawned on me last night that I think I subconsciously gravitated towards Nathan Fillion because he reminded me of King. (King was the reason I never minded watching Melrose Place with my girlfriend at the time) and if you haven't seen Search and Destroy, seek it out. It's great fun.

Danger Diabolik isn't as great as I remembered. I found myself going on my phone a few times throughout, but it's still a decent enough watch, particularly if you're into comic book movies. Think Barbarella crossed with a sub standard Fantomas, Pink Panther and Adam We's Batman.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Moderators

I watched the original Nightmare on Elm Street for the first time ever the other day. All I can say is that I assume it has.. Uh.. Not aged well.

I could see the potential in the ideas knocking about, and it has some tense moments earlier, but overall it was just really clumsily made and poorly acted.  It really descends in to Home Alone-esque slapstick towards the end once they're trapped in the house, and that scene at the very end was fantastically dumb.

• Paid Members

I agree with that. I remember watching it as a kid and being absolutely terrified, but I made the mistake of watching again with adult eyes and it's just really campy and daft. There is a certain charm to that, but, yes, the ending about sums up the experience.

I watched Black Mass (2015) starring Johnny Depp as James "Whitey" Bulger, which turned up on Netflix recently.

It's not a bad film, but it wants to be Goodfellas... hard.  Unfortunately the script is pedestrian and the director is uninspiring.  Also doesn't help that for some reason Depp decided to turn up in makeup that makes him look like a character from a Tim Burton movie; it's so incongruous, you've got this street-crime drama and there's Depp dressed like Lemony Snickets.

Also, my usual bug-bear.... wall to wall music meant there was no space for any suspense or intrigue to build, so you were just spoon-fed the whole way through.

----

Has anyone mentioned the upcoming film The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then Bigfoot?  Produced by John Sayles, starring Sam Elliot.

2271454.jpg

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

For shame! Nightmare on Elm Street is both a genuinely good classic and aged tremendously. I can't say so much for the sequels but I still love the gloriously homoerotic second one.

EDIT - For some reason my phone insists that the below quote can't be removed.

On 6/26/2018 at 8:47 PM, CavemanLynn said:

Edited by DEF

gfmhbrvqjapcbig.jpg

The long awaited sequel to Island of the living dead. Y'all seen Aliens the movie, right? Well it's that but with zombies. Almost unapologetically scene for scene. More of the same as Island; Baaaaad dialogue, acting, dubbing with the obvious gore.

#SueForCopyright

Oh, and it features Goldberg's theme music in it too~~~~~!!!!!

• Paid Members

Is the original Nightmare on Elm Street Scary? Not really. But I think it is actually a very clever film which played on things such as the rise in missing children in america and the roles of gender, specifically women at that period of time.We studied it in a media class about 18 years ago and, at least the first one, was definitely full of subtext. As they went on they became more generic and Freddy less menacing and more comedic

40 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Is the original Nightmare on Elm Street Scary? Not really. But I think it is actually a very clever film which played on things such as the rise in missing children in america and the roles of gender, specifically women at that period of time.We studied it in a media class about 18 years ago and, at least the first one, was definitely full of subtext. As they went on they became more generic and Freddy less menacing and more comedic

Have you seen the ultra meta New Nightmare? It's really the only other one in the series truly worth seeing, although 2 can work great as a standalone and needs to be watched as it's own thing.

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

But I think it is actually a very clever film which played on things such as the rise in missing children in america and the roles of gender, specifically women at that period of time.

That sounds less like something you think and more like something they may have told you word for word in said media studies class.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Don’t Breathe

didnt know anything about it going in, fun little thriller that I could see some grizzled leading man playing the blind guy if the budget was higher. And of course the film would have been worse for it. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

That sounds less like something you think and more like something they may have told you word for word in said media studies class.

I can barely remember a presentation I had to do last week, let alone remember something word for word some 17 years ago. I do remember seeing a documentary in said class describing the characters like Freddy and Jason as representing the fear of Aids at the time. But I don’t think seeing Nancy as a strong film character is that hard to grasp really. That seems very obvious to me without dissecting the film

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Have you seen the ultra meta New Nightmare? It's really the only other one in the series truly worth seeing, although 2 can work great as a standalone and needs to be watched as it's own thing.

I rewatched them all last year and while the first 3 have aged okay and the others have aged terribly, New Nightmare is still genuinely scary. Great film.