DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I saw Solo last night, I find the Force and the Empire and the mythology the most boring thing about Star Wars but I love space adventures, aliens and droids so I was well up for this. It mostly delivered for me but my big complaint is how dark the picture was, it definitely affected my enjoyment, it was ridiculous, there were times where you could barely make out the characters faces, did anyone else find this or am I just going blind?

• Awards Moderator
5 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I saw Solo last night, I find the Force and the Empire and the mythology the most boring thing about Star Wars but I love space adventures, aliens and droids so I was well up for this. It mostly delivered for me but my big complaint is how dark the picture was, it definitely affected my enjoyment, it was ridiculous, there were times where you could barely make out the characters faces, did anyone else find this or am I just going blind?

It’s been a common problem from what I’ve heard. Some of it is by choice of the cinematographer but some cinemas are worse than others for it. A friend of mine saw it at a Cineworld and ended up making a complaint because he couldn’t make anything out on the screen. The emergency lighting was apparently brighter!

• Awards Moderator
8 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

A widely complained about issue. I saw it at a Vue and it was fine, but saw it again at a Cineworld it was hard to make out faces in some scenes. The distributors have been quiet about it.

Hopefully tweaked well for the home release.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Can’t say it was a problem when I saw it at Vue. You weren’t watching in 3D were you? I always found those to stupidly dark on the rare occasion we stumped up for them

I hate 3D films, haven't seen one for years, mainly because they're so dark. 

I saw it in an Odeon.

Thanks for the info guys, it's weird that it's not a problem every screening has had, if you didn't get a "dark one" you're lucky, it looked like shit.

• Paid Members

It's been absolutely fuckin gik weather in Lanzarote so I went off to see Hereditary.  

It's absolutely bonkers. Just goes in a direction nobody could possibly see coming. Not as scary as I'd have thought but creepy enough to have my pots gone at 3am when random noises are going off in the hotel. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Not a film but this site made me go all misty-eyed: retail VHS packaging shots. Memorex! BASF! AKAI! All these firms I only know as producing VHS tapes.

https://vaultofvhs.tumblr.com/

My first audio cassette mixtape was on a BASF, still got it somewhere. Got a couple of AKAI and TDK too.

We recorded a lot of stuff on to VHS which, it has emerged, is now impossible to get hold of online or on DVD, so we've kept our VCR (although we will eventually transfer to DVD, I guess). There are a lot of Scotch cassettes in that collection.

2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

You might also like Steelberg. He creates old VHS covers of modern movies and TV shows.  https://www.instagram.com/iamsteelberg

It looks like HMV are doing some mock-VHS releases starting next month.

https://store.hmv.com/film-tv/vhs-range

"Each title feature a retro sleeve inspired by their original CIC VHS release. The box is imprinted with a VHS cassette design, but with the height of a DVD to ensure it fits on shelf. Inside are copies of the movie on both Blu-ray, and DVD featuring cassette reel disc art. They also include a fold out replica theatrical poster, bubblegum card and sticker."

Edited by DJM

On 6/19/2018 at 1:18 PM, DJM said:

It looks like HMV are doing some mock-VHS releases starting next month.

https://store.hmv.com/film-tv/vhs-range

"Each title feature a retro sleeve inspired by their original CIC VHS release. The box is imprinted with a VHS cassette design, but with the height of a DVD to ensure it fits on shelf. Inside are copies of the movie on both Blu-ray, and DVD featuring cassette reel disc art. They also include a fold out replica theatrical poster, bubblegum card and sticker."

They are no way near as cool as I was expecting them to be.

See, I quite enjoyed Fallen Kingdom for what it was. The telling sign for me was that when it'd finished, I wanted to watch it again despite there being a few flaws. I totally agree with a couple of the points you raised on your mega-post @HarmonicGenerator in particular-

I did think the bit where the pachycephalosaurus winks at the camera before helping Chris Pratt was a bit shit. I thought the cloned kid was a bit tacky and there was nowhere near enough Ian Malcolm

I really liked the chase scene in the house towards the end though. They definitely ramped the horror up in this one and it reminded me a lot of how I felt watching the original in the cinema as a kid.

Other than that I found it to be a fairly inoffensive summer action blockbuster.