DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I watched a film called The Guest the other night, on the cover it claimed to be a mix between The Terminator and Bourne Identity and that got me interested enough to download it. I discovered after watching it that the main guy is from downton abbey, I guess he's really playing against type in this film but I haven't ever seen him before so I was just judging him on his performance in this.

It's one of those films that I knew nothing about going in which can be fun but there's not much point in mentioning it if I'm not going to say anything. I can see where they're coming from with the Terminator comparison but there are no killer cyborgs or time travel, it's essentially a horror movie with a Jason Bourne like character at the centre of it. It starts off with a mysterious soldier turning up at a family house and gets progressively more intense and violent as he gets more entwined in the family's life. The music really stands out too, it's a bit like Drive for that. It's a pretty decent B-movie if you feel like that kind of thing.

poster227x227.jpeg

I also missed City Hunter as a child because it wasn't included in the video shop's 3 for a quid offer. I made sure I paid the full 1.50 as soon as I got my first paycheck though. If I remember rightly, he had a cool "City Hunteeeer" jingle accompanying him through the film. That's probably where the extra expense went, and rightly so.

• Paid Members

A film and a TV film for me this weekend.

Finally Got to see The Grand Budapest Hotel. I have only started to watch Wes Andersons output (always thought it looked like pretentious arty fluff, maybe it is) and really enjoyed this. As much as I liked The Royal Tennanbaums and Moonrise Kingdom, I think this was probably my favourite of his I have seen thus far. Great performance from Voldermort and just had me smiling throughout.  

Last night we watched Esio Trot. Really good perfomances from Hoffman and Dench and just a lovely Sunday Night easy watch. Bit cheesy but enjoyable none the less.

• Moderators

Cheers for the article, Scotty! It's a long 'un so I haven't had a chance to read it all yet but I hd a flick and it looks good.

I also finally got around to Grand Budapest Hotel a couple weeks ago as it happens. Not sure if I posted on here about it at the time, but I loved it. I like all Wes Anderson films that I've seen though, so I wasn't surprised.

Still haven't got around to watching Life Aquatic though....

I also missed City Hunter as a child because it wasn't included in the video shop's 3 for a quid offer. I made sure I paid the full 1.50 as soon as I got my first paycheck though. If I remember rightly, he had a cool "City Hunteeeer" jingle accompanying him through the film. That's probably where the extra expense went, and rightly so.

I got to see City Hunter as a child after borrowing a Jackie Chan boxset from an uncle which for whatever reason packaged the light hearted anime adaptation together with Master With Cracked Fingers, a period piece made up of re-edited footage, and Island Of Fire, which as far as I remember is an incredibly grim and hard boiled prison drama.

I dunno whether it's part nostalgia, but I rate City Hunter higher than most seem to. It's not Police Story like, but what is!

Which is the Jackie Chan movie that is basically one big advert for his racing team?  About half the film is him racing a car that has "JACKIE CHAN" written across the side. 

Also, I watched the Arnie vehicle "Sabotage" over the weekend.  It was ok.  Fuck knows what Arnie was doing in it, though, he was totally miscast.  Some good action sequences and good sound, and it doesn't overstay its welcome.  Not the worst.

And I went to see Foxcatcher in the cinema.  Great film, but fucking heavy.  As good as the performances were, and as good as the direction was, its pace was SO slow that it really dragged in places, and they could have cut 20m from it without spoiling the effect at all.  Very powerful and I absolutely wouldn't watch it again.

• Awards Moderator

And I went to see Foxcatcher in the cinema. Great film, but fucking heavy. As good as the performances were, and as good as the direction was, its pace was SO slow that it really dragged in places, and they could have cut 20m from it without spoiling the effect at all. Very powerful and I absolutely wouldn't watch it again.

I'd agree with that. I knew it was good but I felt myself being close to bored several times. Saw Birdman straight afterwards, though, and absolutely loved it. Masterfully done, thrilling to watch. Edward Norton stole it for me performance-wise.

• Paid Members

Based on Bellers’ comments on The Guest back there, I gave it a watch last night. And I fucking loved every second of it.

I’ve been waiting for another anti-hero akin to Chev Chelios to come along, and “David” fit the bill nicely. The character is kind of like a cross between Gosling in Drive (D-Mal won’t like this), Chelios, The Terminator, Jason Bourne and Bill Murray.

It starts off in action/thriller territory and ascends/descends (depending on your genre preferences) into horror/slasher territory by the end, but it’s tongue never leaves it’s cheek...which is nice.

I can’t give too much away, as there are gleefully absurd plot twists aplenty but it’s a cracking B-Movie and it’s magnificent soundtrack is reminiscent of Drive and Hotline Miami (even sharing a song with the latter).

Two bollocks dropped from ol Malbranque, here! Top marks.

Aye I loved The Guest but it's best viewed with as little prior knowledge of it going in.

I really enjoyed Anerican Sniper and it stands as much as a thriller than straight up biopic. It's a bit 'Team America' but what are you expecting? Bradley Cooper is excellent in it and Sienna Miller puts in a surprisingly good turn as his wife.

I've started watching Inherent Vice twice now but the dream like editing and slightly quiet sound level keeps sending me to sleep. There's about 600 characters as well so I'm gonna put it to the side until I'm full of caffeine and don't have any distractions.

• Paid Members

Based on Bellers’ comments on The Guest back there, I gave it a watch last night. And I fucking loved every second of it.

Safe blud, glad you liked it, I did too but how did you get any kind of a Bill Murray vibe off the main guy? Are you just saying that because everyone likes BillMur and you want everyone to see it?

I watched Birdman last night, it was obviously excellent. I've loved Michael keaton since I was a kid, brother was Batman and Beetlejuice, I've even seen his bottom of the barrel thrillers from the mid 2000s so I'm really glad he's had this resurgence, he really deserves it (Nic Cage would've killed in the role too - just sayin). I know it's really not the film's fault but the only thing bad I can say about it is after ages of wanting to see it, then a week or so of everyone bumming it my expectations were probably unrealistically high, it is a great film though, Ed Norton was amazing in it.

Edited by Call me Bellend