DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Saw Stan and Ollie over the weekend - a very nicely made, nicely acted film with some great slapstick from Coogan and Reilly.  They've managed to make them look pretty authentic, some impressive makeup.  It feels more like a BBC tv film than a movie theatre film but well worth the watch.  I think it's out in January next year.

Went to see Fantastic Beasts 2 today. The sound was really poor and (despite complaining) never improved. It made a really boring film less atmospheric and we left after 45 minutes. 

I wasn't hugely enamoured with the first film to be honest. They both lacked the charm of the Potter films, and Eddie Redmayne's dull persona and mumbling don't help.

• Paid Members

Assassination Nation - possibly the worst film I've ever seen at the cinema. The first time I've ever done a walkout so I was in time to watch.....

The Girl in the Spider's Web - which I didn't really want to watch anyway but it was actually really entertaining and far better than any of the other Lisbeth Salander films too. A nice surprise.

Tragedy Girls - horror satire is shit.

The Place Beyond the Pines - seems to have been largely forgotten since its release but deserves much better. One of the better American films of the decade, even Bradley Cooper and Dane DeHaan were pretty good in it.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Assassination Nation - possibly the worst film I've ever seen at the cinema. The first time I've ever done a walkout so I was in time to watch.....

The Girl in the Spider's Web - which I didn't really want to watch anyway but it was actually really entertaining and far better than any of the other Lisbeth Salander films too. A nice surprise.

Tragedy Girls - horror satire is shit.

The Place Beyond the Pines - seems to have been largely forgotten since its release but deserves much better. One of the better American films of the decade, even Bradley Cooper and Dane DeHaan were pretty good in it.

I’m not having it. I’m yet to see Dane DeHaan act anywhere decent in anything. Ffs, the man was out acted by a supermodel and a singer in Vallarian

• Paid Members

I think it might have been @Astro Hollywood who talked up the quality of Calibre on here, apologies if it wasn't you, sunshine. Even so, it's a cracking thriller and I'm always pleased to see Netflix giving younger filmmakers a platform and being rewarded by a film as good as this. The scene on which this film turns nearly made me fall off my bed. Really good stuff.

• Paid Members

Right, UKFF hive mind, my 4 year old has requested to watch a Christmas film with the following plot points:

- Man thinks he's santa, isn't santa.

- Gives people a bag of rubbish instead of presents.

- There are Lions at some point.

- There's a girl with a bicycle.

Any idea? Or has she just made it up?

Much obliged.

• Awards Moderator
12 minutes ago, KJHenley said:

Right, UKFF hive mind, my 4 year old has requested to watch a Christmas film with the following plot points:

Much obliged.

Sounds like Arthur Christmas to me. Plot revolves around a girl who’s supposed to get a bike from Santa but she gets missed off the list. Santa’s son Arthur goes with the retired Grand-Santa to deliver it, and they accidentally end up in Africa with a pride of lions. Grand-Santa’s also a bit bonkers and ends up leaving rubbish under a tree after crash landing in a bin.

Man who thinks he’s Santa but isn’t could apply to Arthur, Grand-Santa or Arthur’s older brother Steve.

It’s my favourite Christmas film. You’ll enjoy it! Aardman Animation so there’s tons of background detail to spot even if the plot’s not for you.

Pretty sure it’s on Netflix, Prime or both.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, KJHenley said:

Much obliged.

33 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

i have just downloaded "jigsaw". 

No I don't think that's it.

Yeah that’s definitely Arthur Christmas, we watch it every Christmas Eve.

Nothing has come close to it in the years since, although we did watch The Christmas Chronicles on Netflix yesterday, which has Kurt Russell playing Santa. It’s still proper straight to DVD stuff, or straight to streaming services as it is these days, and it’s no Jingle All The Way but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. The 2 kids in are a bit annoying, but Kurt is decent enough in it

40 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

i have just downloaded "jigsaw". Can i watch this as a stand alone or do i need to re watch all the saw films i have seen (i have not seen the final one yet) for it to make sense? 

If you’ve seen upto and including Saw 3, you should be OK. There are little nods here and there, but nothing that’ll leave you confused (what with its ‘they had the whole thing mapped out in advance’ writing) from what I can recall. It’s more of a reboot rather than a continuation

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Sounds like Arthur Christmas to me. Plot revolves around a girl who’s supposed to get a bike from Santa but she gets missed off the list. Santa’s son Arthur goes with the retired Grand-Santa to deliver it, and they accidentally end up in Africa with a pride of lions. Grand-Santa’s also a bit bonkers and ends up leaving rubbish under a tree after crash landing in a bin.

Man who thinks he’s Santa but isn’t could apply to Arthur, Grand-Santa or Arthur’s older brother Steve.

It’s my favourite Christmas film. You’ll enjoy it! Aardman Animation so there’s tons of background detail to spot even if the plot’s not for you.

Pretty sure it’s on Netflix, Prime or both.

5 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Yeah that’s definitely Arthur Christmas, we watch it every Christmas Eve.

Nothing has come close to it in the years since, although we did watch The Christmas Chronicles on Netflix yesterday, which has Kurt Russell playing Santa. It’s still proper straight to DVD stuff, or straight to streaming services as it is these days, and it’s no Jingle All The Way but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. The 2 kids in are a bit annoying, but Kurt is decent enough in it

Was fully expecting her to have made that up. Thank you both! That's this afternoon sorted.

• Paid Members

I watched The Elephant Man last night, which is a very fine film with some fantastic performances from John Hurt, Hannah Gordon and Anthony Hopkins (who incidentally is fucking smoking in this. I've never considered him to be particularly handsome, though maybe it was because he was acting against someone dressed as John Merrick). It's always a bit of a risk when something has been referenced and parodied so much that it will lose something when you finally watch the original, but that wasn't the case here. 

Edited by gmoney