DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I thought it was ok. Not great, but decent. Gary Oldman's performance is undeniably very good, even if I couldn't help but see Dracula now and again.

That tube scene is an abomination, though. It deserves the derision I've read and heard from a few fair reviews. Mainly because it felt completely out of whack with the rest of the movie, so much so I was watching it thinking what utter bollocks it is.

Anyway, I've watched Phantom Thread three times now and it somehow got funnier. I've yet to see Call Me By Your Name and The Shape Of Water, but from the other Best Picture nominations, Phantom Thread is easily the best bit of work. It's been a while since I've enjoyed a film this much.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Awards Moderator

Doing okay with this year's Best Picture nominations - I'd only seen one of last year's bunch, but so far we've got round to Dunkirk, The Post, Get Out and Three Billboards, with plans to go and see Lady Bird at the weekend.

Hoping to also get to Shape of Water at some point, but other half has no interest in it so that'll be a solo trip at a later date.

I have to say that of the nine, Darkest Hour appeals the least. I'm sure Gary Oldman's excellent but John Lithgow's kind of got that definitive Churchill performance nailed down in The Crown so I don't really have any desire to see Oldman's take.

18 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

That tube scene is an abomination, though. It deserves the derision I've read and heard from a few fair reviews. Mainly because it felt completely out of whack with the rest of the movie, so much so I was watching it thinking what utter bollocks it is.

The tube scene stuck out like a sore thumb but I forgave it for what it was and for what it lead to.

I, Tonya is definitely worth a watch. There's a disclaimer at the start which states that the interview tapes the film is based on are massively hypocritical so you can fully enjoy the film without wondering how much of the film is bollocks. They play on that throughout and there's a couple of bits where they show different characters versions of events. The spliced in interviews and the fourth wall breaks made it that bit different. Allison Janney is typically brilliant, as is Margot Robbie. I really want to see it again.

Watched Three Billboards earlier this week. Suffice to say I didn't like it, really couldn't understand why it's done so well on the awards front. Don't get me wrong, Woody Harrelson, Sam Rockwell and Frances McDormand put a shift in, Rockwell playing the role of someone slightly unhinged brilliantly, and some of it is good to great but on the whole I just thought the whole film meandered.

There's some great moments of tension mixed with some good black humour and some fairly gruesome violence. When Rockwell's character gets the shit kicked out of him in the bar I was on the edge of my seat and genuinely thought it was going to build to finding the killer or tracking the guys in the bar down, instead the ending just sort of happened which is probably why I felt so deflated. 

Edited by cobra_gordo

• Paid Members

Loathe as I am to agree with Quagmire on anything, but Sam Rockwell is awful. As an actor but also especially in Three Billboards. He just comes across as the archetypal bumbling corrupt hick cop idiot in a film that's apparently supposed to be a bit deeper and more serious than that. I just hate him, I don't understand the love for him at all.

• Paid Members

Good, not the only one too, then. An old friend and I occasionally get into drunk arguments about Rockwell, because he reckons Rockwell is the greatest modern actor, or something.

I just do not get that hype at all. Not when you've got the likes of Michael Shannon out there doing the good work. 

@HarmonicGenerator Good point about Lithgow. His Churchill is much better than Oldman's, thinking about it.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

Good, not the only one too, then. An old friend and I occasionally get into drunk arguments about Rockwell, because he reckons Rockwell is the greatest modern actor, or something.

He completely ruined Moon for me. He just overplays every role I've ever seen him in and I'll probably just avoid anything he's in from now on after this debacle. He's shit.

• Paid Members

I didn't mind Moon, from what I remember. But, aye, for the most part he's such a big hammy bugger.

FYI, Duncan Jones' Mute is getting released on Netflix tomorrow. Apparently it's a bit 'Blade Runner' and takes place in the same universe (yuck) as Moon. Hopefully it gets him back on track after World of Warcraft.

Edited by ColinBollocks

Speaking of shit actors, it's a testament to how good Seven's script is that not even Brad Pitt's acting towards the end can ruin it.

Fun watching Morgan Freeman, Kevin Spacey and even Gwyneth Paltrow act circles around him though, while pondering how someone who acts like such an impulsive moron could become a detective.

Speaking of Brad Pitt trying to singlehandedly ruin movies, if his tacked on scene in 10 Years a Slave was supposed to lend gravitas to proceedings then it certainly didn't accomplish it.

FFS he wasn't even good in Friends and that show was full of shit actors.

6 minutes ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

Speaking of Brad Pitt trying to singlehandedly ruin movies, if his tacked on scene in 10 Years a Slave was supposed to lend gravitas to proceedings then it certainly didn't accomplish it.

12 Years.  It weren't, his character represented white guilt.  

But he said himself that he was a producer and having a prominent white actor in the film, albeit in a tagged on in the script role, made it so much easier to secure financial backing for the film.  Sadly, had he not had that part clumsily added to proceedings, the film wouldn't have been made.

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

Speaking of shit actors, it's a testament to how good Seven's script is that not even Brad Pitt's acting towards the end can ruin it.

Fun watching Morgan Freeman, Kevin Spacey and even Gwyneth Paltrow act circles around him though, while pondering how someone who acts like such an impulsive moron could become a detective.

FFS he wasn't even good in Friends and that show was full of shit actors.

Congratulations on returning to being wrong and shit, we missed you!

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

I didn't mind Moon, from what I remember. But, aye, for the most part he's such a big hammy bugger.

FYI, Duncan Jones' Mute is getting released on Netflix tomorrow. Apparently it's a bit 'Blade Runner' and takes place in the same universe (yuck) as Moon. Hopefully it gets him back on track after World of Warcraft.

Tomorrow? I knew it was coming quite soon but didn’t expect it quite so quickly. It won’t be hard to be better than Warcraft, and if it’s better than Bright and Cloverfield Paradox I’ll be happy to Netflix it. Talk about low expectations!

I’ve never minded Sam Rockwell but he was definitely the wrong choice for Zaphod Beeblebrox and his boring villain is one of the reasons I’ve never rewatched Iron Man 2.

11 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Congratulations on returning to being wrong and shit, we missed you!

If you're going to belittle me then you might as well be funny when you're doing it, and that comment made me laugh. So mission accomplished.

I'll double down on the Michael Shannon love. He's the closest thing to a modern day Robert De Niro.

Such a catalogue of great work he has done: The Iceman (which butchered the source material), Take Shelter, Bug (such an intense performance), Let's Go To Prison (showing his versatility), and Boardwalk Empire. 

The scene where he dies in Boardwalk Empire almost gave me shivers.

You either have it or you don't. Sam Rockwell should look at Shannon and he might learn a thing or two about nuance.

Edited by Chest Rockwell
Boardwalk spoiler (I'm assuming. I haven't seen it).

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Tomorrow? I knew it was coming quite soon but didn’t expect it quite so quickly. It won’t be hard to be better than Warcraft, and if it’s better than Bright and Cloverfield Paradox I’ll be happy to Netflix it. Talk about low expectations!

Keep them. Initial reviews have not been kind at all. I've noticed a 1* in The Guardian and little else deviating above it.

Expect a sequel.