UFC 158: 'St Pierre vs Diaz'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

How do yous see the Ellenberger vs Marquardt and Freakshow vs Ricci fights panning out?

I like Marquardt to beat Ellenberger. Providing he doesn't get blasted early on I think Nate will outwork him and Ellenberger's had dodgy cardio in the past which a veteran like Marquardt might exploit. I'm thinking Marquardt on points or possibly a late TKO.

Sadly I reckon Ricci will beat Freakshow. I hope I'm wrong but I think he might just outstrength him and win a decision. Who knows? The weight cut might be rough on him or something but I just have a feeling he'll be able to shut down Freakshow. I'd love to see the Freak win though. I want him to stick around and a loss here could close the door on that. He'd be 0-2 and with all the cuts recently, it would be very likely he'd be gone.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sadly I reckon Ricci will beat Freakshow. I hope I'm wrong but I think he might just outstrength him and win a decision. Who knows? The weight cut might be rough on him or something but I just have a feeling he'll be able to shut down Freakshow. I'd love to see the Freak win though. I want him to stick around and a loss here could close the door on that. He'd be 0-2 and with all the cuts recently, it would be very likely he'd be gone.

Ricci would be 0-2 also. I like both guys here, so fingers crossed it's a draw and they both go on to win their next fights and both stick around

Ricci would be 0-2 also. I like both guys here, so fingers crossed it's a draw and they both go on to win their next fights and both stick around

I'd say Freakshow would stick around with a loss. He's very marketable, and although his TUF Finale fight wasn't that thrilling, his fights on the Smashes showed that he's one of those fighters who "come to fight", which helps with job security.

I just realised I haven't actually posted in this topic yet, which is a rarity for me. I think the booking of GSP/Diaz has really turned me off the event. I derided this and the Jones/Sonnen booking when they were made, but I did think that I would get amped closer to the fight. The transparency of the hype is one thing, and also we've seen the GSP gameplan for good/great strikers- take them down for five rounds. Diaz has beaten a blown up lightweight and gotten handled by the last guy that GSP beat, it's hard to buy him as a credible challenger.

Condit vs. Hendricks doesn't fill me with glee either. Unless Hendricks gets the flash KO, he's a pretty boring fighter, and I don't want Condit to suffer that fate. Ellenberger vs. Marquardt could be great if the right Nate shows up, but it doesn't sell PPVs.

Honestly, the Freakshow is the most appealing part of this card by far.

• Paid Members

I was talking to Freakshow & his manager at BAMMA at the weekend. Even if he loses, he is no-where near the cut list according to what Silva & White have told them. Again it comes down to his uniqueness much in the same as it was/is with Dan Hardy.

• Paid Members
I was talking to Freakshow & his manager at BAMMA at the weekend. Even if he loses, he is no-where near the cut list according to what Silva & White have told them. Again it comes down to his uniqueness much in the same as it was/is with Dan Hardy.

I would say that would be right. The thing is with freakshow he is new to the US audience and he needs some exposure. The main thing about the cuts were that they were cutting guys who were on the slide and or losing their marketing appeal.

I would say he will get at least one more fight if he loses on his first PPV card.

• Paid Members

I think the fact that Fletcher is on the main card of a stacked PPV, despite losing his first UFC fight, goes to show that they like him and see some potential. I might be way off here, but I can't think of many other TUF losing finalists that would get that sort of spot. (Mike Ricci is another, obv)

• Paid Members
I think the fact that Fletcher is on the main card of a stacked PPV, despite losing his first UFC fight, goes to show that they like him and see some potential. I might be way off here, but I can't think of many other TUF losing finalists that would get that sort of spot. (Mike Ricci is another, obv)

your right Silk. your finding that recent TUF winners are finding themselves on prelims so for Ricci/Fletcher to get a PPV slot is massive.

i expect Urijah Hall to get similar treatment even if he ends up losing during the current season.

• Paid Members

Dana White says if Diaz wins the belt, he's going to fly him to Vegas for a meeting where he'll explain that if he misses a single scheduled event after that he'll immediately be stripped of the title.

How do yous see the Ellenberger vs Marquardt fight panning out?

I like Marquardt to beat Ellenberger. Providing he doesn't get blasted early on I think Nate will outwork him and Ellenberger's had dodgy cardio in the past which a veteran like Marquardt might exploit. I'm thinking Marquardt on points or possibly a late TKO.

I like Ellenberger.

I have no confidence in Marquart, far too inconsistent. Over 3 rounds Jake's cardio will not be such a issue. So I will go with Jake on points.

Lamby is right, the countdown show is excellent. Nick was the star of the show. The boxing comments in comparision to who he boxes with and who GSP boxes with made me piss myself.

• Paid Members
Dana White says if Diaz wins the belt, he's going to fly him to Vegas for a meeting where he'll explain that if he misses a single scheduled event after that he'll immediately be stripped of the title.

Diaz pulling off the upset and winning the title, only to get stripped of the belt for no-showing something or failing the weed test again, would almost be fitting in a way. It would be Diaz all over.

I've still got a bad feeling I'll be changing the thread title before Saturday. We've still got the press conference tomorrow to get through yet. And the weigh in on Friday. Dana's already saying if Diaz goes AWOL tomorrow he doesn't know what he'll do but "it won't be good".

Jim - I don't know. Ellenberger gassed in a 3 rounder with Sanchez. And had punched himself out within two frames against Kampmann. I agree on Marquardt's inconsistency though.

I'll watch the Countdown later. Looking forward to it.

Do not want to jinx it but

I doubt no matter what Diaz does the UFC will cancel this weekend, I think we are getting GSP vs Diaz. Only thing that will stop it happening is if Diaz does not show up to the arena. No way Dana wants to risk another Jones/Hendo situation.

I think it is too late for GSP to expect Hendricks or Condit as a replacement. Or vice versa. Dana may not be grandstanding, but his bark in this case may be worse than his bite.

Edit: For some reasons I thought Jake/Sanchez was 5 rounds, my mistake it may be a issue.

Archived