UFC 158: 'St Pierre vs Diaz'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

They don't have to go that far, but they have to at least make the match somewhat competitive. A catchweight between both divisions would work fine in that respect if Anderson could make 177lbs and still feel healthy.

My point rested on the original suggestion that St-Pierre move up to 185lbs (which was seriously discussed, as St-Pierre had mentioned the time he'd need to put on the extra weight correctly and so on).

Even at 177lbs I'd still favour Anderson heavily. He's taller, he's longer, and he's able to use those advantages to devastating effect. As a small welter who relies a lot on using his jab and getting inside to utilize his wrestling I simply can't see a way for St-Pierre to win. Anderson negates those tactics without much trouble, and would finish the fight within three frames.

As I said, I'd watch it (I watch everything MMA-related regardless!), but I really do prefer going into my fights not entirely sure who's going to win. The Anderson/Jones fight would throw that unpredictability factor up, whilst the Anderson/St-Pierre fight simply wouldn't. I would be interested in the bout, but not amped up to see it.

The fight on this card is a perfect example of that. I watched the original prime time series on the fight, and whilst it was good television I wasn't as invested because I have no doubt what the outcome of the fight will be.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I truly believe Jones/Silva would be a lot less closer to GSP/Silva. Jones is a complete beast and is the size of a heavyweight. Yet, he can make LHW due to how skinny his legs are.

Personally, I believe Jones would absolutely destroy Anderson.

• Paid Members

Chuck Liddell got knocked out in spectacular fashion by both Rampage and Rashad. Neither time did it negatively affect his drawing power

In that case he should face Anderson at whatever weight Silva feels comfortable at, go out and get creamed and then wait on the dollars to flow in when he picks himself up off the canvas I guess.

Come on Dave, you know what he meant. He just gave Chuck as an example of a guy who was still able to draw on PPV after being KOd.

And what's this "whatever weight Anderson feels comfortable at"? It's GSP who seems to be calling all the shots about weight. Anderson is game for 185, 177 or 170. GSP seemed open to it at 170, until Anderson agreed, now he's gone quiet again.

I agree with Lamby, I actually think GSP/Silva would be more competitive than Silva/Jones.

[And what's this "whatever weight Anderson feels comfortable at"? It's GSP who seems to be calling all the shots about weight. Anderson is game for 185, 177 or 170. GSP seemed open to it at 170, until Anderson agreed, now he's gone quiet again.

If the fight gets signed at 170lbs-177lbs then, as I said, it could be a bit more competitive. As for St-Pierre going quiet, it may have something to do with him fighting Nick Diaz in a few weeks? He strikes me as one of those fighters who doesn't look beyond his next opponent.

• Paid Members

Oh yeah I don't expect him to overlook Diaz. But Anderson was on about 170 months ago, before the Diaz fight was signed. After UFC 154, GSP and Firas Zahabi were both going "Anderson said he could make 170,, if he wants to drop to 170 we'd like the fight at 170". Then Anderson said yes to 170 and there's been fuck all said from Georges and Firas since. It just strikes me that they asked for 170 thinking Anderson wouldn't go for it and they could spin it as him turning it down.

As soon as GSP vs Diaz was signed, I wouldn't expect him to talk about Anderson. I could have worded that better.

Thing is, even if he beats Condit, Hendricks still might be in for a long wait. if GSP and Anderson win their next fights and Dana manages to get the superfight on for November, Hendricks is gonna have a serious breakdown.

Thing is, even if he beats Condit, Hendricks still might be in for a long wait. if GSP and Anderson win their next fights and Dana manages to get the superfight on for November, Hendricks is gonna have a serious breakdown.

Hendricks should know fine well how the UFC works. He's the last resort as far as matching St-Pierre up anytime soon, and no amount of wins or knock outs will change that.

Speaking of Jones, how many title defences does Velasquez need to have before theres serious talk of a superfight against Jones? Lets be honest, even with zero title defences so far, everyone knows Cain is leagues above everyone else, and has pretty much already wiped the floor with the entire division. Considering the lack of real challangers for both guys, I thought there would be at least some rumours going about for this.

I want everyone to fight everyone.

I will happy fight you Wand, anyone who dislikes Frank Shamrock deserves a pasting ;)

Where you at Jim? Where you at motherfucker?

In my bedroom waiting for a Domino's to be ordered as it happens. I am being a bit lazy today, so you may be able to catch me.

Anyway, my two cents.

Around 2008 I actually favored GSP to beat Anderson. I am amazed some would dismiss it as a miss-match even now. GSP is a small WW for 2013, but he is as strong as a tank. Plus he does not make that many mistakes. Anderson tends to make wild and aggressive fighters look like fools, but a conservative wrestling approach coupled with a tight top game is the recipe I think beats Anderson.

Now people will say Chael is bigger and Anderson has a bad rib, but GSP is a better technical wrestler than Chael. He is far more explosive than Chael and is just as relentless. GSP is very strong for his weight and if Anderson cuts to say 175-180lbs, than the weight advantage may only be 10lbs come fight night. Coupled that with the 4 inches of height Anderson has and GSP maybe the as big width wise. Now, I think Anderson only has to connect once, and GSP can be clipped as Condit and Serra proved. But GSP is a master gameplanner and would stick to a plan that would enable him the least risk onward to victory.

Its a fight for me that has enough doubt to it that I could see the argument for both sides.

Lamby and Wand sum up Jones/Silva.

Archived