UFC 158: 'St Pierre vs Diaz'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think you're half right David. I certainly think you're way off the mark with your "he's obviously not all there" quote though. I actually think Diaz is a very smart person. You see him when he's in a more intimate environment and calm, he's perfectly fine. As Jim says he obviously has a social anxiety disorder, but saying he's not all there ain't right to me.

A very smart person? Come on! He's not a complete fucking idiot, but the guy is far from being very smart. If he weren't involved in MMA I doubt he'd have been really successful at anything else, would he? He'd likely just be another dopehead living in California.

It's a mixture of both with him I think. I believe he does have some social problems, but he's also a bit of an idiot as well.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I think you're half right David. I certainly think you're way off the mark with your "he's obviously not all there" quote though. I actually think Diaz is a very smart person. You see him when he's in a more intimate environment and calm, he's perfectly fine. As Jim says he obviously has a social anxiety disorder, but saying he's not all there ain't right to me.

A very smart person? Come on! He's not a complete fucking idiot, but the guy is far from being very smart. If he weren't involved in MMA I doubt he'd have been really successful at anything else, would he? He'd likely just be another dopehead living in California.

It's a mixture of both with him I think. I believe he does have some social problems, but he's also a bit of an idiot as well.

I think you're being a bit perdantic David. Obviously he's not Einstein but I would say he certainly smart in a different way, not necessarily academically. To get to where he is he has to have a certain level of intelligence.

I agree with Lamby.

He obviously knows how to critically evaluate certain aspects of his game and work towards his strengths. He also has a mind-set of evaluating how he wants to remembered (as a guy who worked hard and would fight anybody) these things take at least a degree of thought and reflection.

If MMA did not exist I think he would be a boxer or a marathon runner. There are other route for him to go as he has proven with his swimming and cycling interests. I am not saying he is Einstein but he is smarter than most.

• Paid Members
Interestingly according to Frank Shamrock, Diaz is a big party guy so he is not meant to be a recluse or anything.

Really? I've never heard that, I always thought Diaz despised the party scene for some reason.

He touches on it here - any excuse for a Diaz quote;

Vegas is a fucking theme, dude, that shit doesn't fool me.

Every fighter I know wants to move there. These fucking assholes, They thrive off these big fucking fake-titty mutant chicks that are fucking disgusting whores, every last one of them. They're all trying to do something to get somewhere.

These people end up wanting to live there. All they do is go out and drink They all drink. Even the athletes there that don't, the other ones force them into drinking, and they don't go out stand around drinking water like I do. I've seen them and they all fucking move to Vegas and they go to these clubs, and it's just like...dude, are you fucking kidding me?

Frank does not like how the Diaz brothers act as he think they do not carry themselves as martial artists. That and the fact Nick beat him, may sway him to have sour grapes.

Frank seems to associate weed with partying, so he could be putting two and two together.

• Paid Members

Yeah most likely. I wonder if he's on better terms with Diaz now. It seemed like they buried a lot of the bad blood after they fought and Frank was always around as a commentator after that and I never read about any problems.

Today's press conference day, I hope Diaz shows up. If today goes without a hitch I think we're set because I can't see him no-showing the weigh ins or the fight. Especially after he's put a full training camp in.

The build-up to this fight has been rather strange, the countdown did nothing for me with regards to making Diaz out to be a serious threat to georges. in the past when one sided matches had been announced that I woud assume were a foregone conclusion wether it be mma or boxing the promotion can usually sway me round come fight night and make me second guess....So far this one has failed with that.

At least the other welterweight matches should be closely contended.

• Paid Members
lamby, you can't say that then not post the Presser link.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/03/watc...com-at-1-p-m-et

Pretty good so far and looking like it's going the way of the conference call.

Don't be a lazy sod SK :laugh:

Anyway, fantastic presser with all the questions bar one going to Diaz and GSP. For someone who's not very media friendly, Diaz loves to talk. At times GSP looked absolutely furious and Diaz didn't hold back. At one point basically accusing GSP of steriod usage....

• Paid Members

I was laughing at that quote, until I saw this headline on MMAJunkie...

Dana White: UFC 'probably' will cut Nick Diaz if he fails UFC 158 drug test

Shit. Wouldn't be a shock of course, it would be his third failure plus all the no-showing. But still, shit.

I have no interest in watching Diaz get wrestleraped by Fitch in WSOF or by Askren in Bellator. There are some great fights out there with the likes of Ben Saunders, Doug Lima, Jim Wallhead and rematches with Daley and Zaromskis. But there's loads of fights I want to see with him in the UFC. It would be a shame to see him throw away a good spot in the UFC over a smoke. If he was just a bit easier for Dana to deal with and could keep his smoking under control, even with losses, you'd think he'd be kept around in a Wandy/Franklin type role. He just seems determined to fuck up.

If he fails his test again I can't even say I'd blame them for sacking him. It gets to the point where as fun as he is to watch, is it worth the hassle?

I hope he doesn't get cut. If he loses to St-Pierre and Hendricks beats Condit why not set up a Diaz/Hendricks bout? We all know that St-Pierre isn't fighting Hendricks next, even if he beats Condit via triple hit dragon uppercut after 0.3 seconds of the 1st frame this Saturday.

A KO win over Diaz would put Hendricks firmly on the map. After that he may only be four or five wins away from a shot at the title.

Archived