UFC 158: 'St Pierre vs Diaz'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

People keep saying how Hendricks got robbed and should have got the title shot. I don't disagree, he deserves it more than anyone else at 170 right now. But people seem to overlook that he got a pretty iffy decision over Koscheck sandwiched between his 2 (admittedly awesome) KOs of Fitch and Kampmann. Still, he's earned his shot and definitely deserves it more than Diaz on merit.

But the way people are going on like Hendricks is unstoppable now and that GSP is shitting his skin-tight shorts at the thought of fighting him, it's kind of getting silly.

Hendricks is good. His left hand is ridiculous, his wrestling (when he uses it) is great and his 2 KOs of Fitch and Kampmann were mega impressive. But just 10 months ago I had Kos outpointing him. Before that Rick Story was able to beat him and TJ Grant (now a lightweight) took him to a competitive decision.

I agree Hendricks earned his shot. But I'm not buying him as the man in GSP's nightmares. If GSP's cacking it about anyone it's Anderson Silva.

People keep saying how Hendricks got robbed and should have got the title shot. I don't disagree, he deserves it more than anyone else at 170 right now. But people seem to overlook that he got a pretty iffy decision over Koscheck sandwiched between his 2 (admittedly awesome) KOs of Fitch and Kampmann. Still, he's earned his shot and definitely deserves it more than Diaz on merit.

But the way people are going on like Hendricks is unstoppable now and that GSP is shitting his skin-tight shorts at the thought of fighting him, it's kind of getting silly.

Hendricks is good. His left hand is ridiculous, his wrestling (when he uses it) is great and his 2 KOs of Fitch and Kampmann were mega impressive. But just 10 months ago I had Kos outpointing him. Before that Rick Story was able to beat him and TJ Grant (now a lightweight) took him to a competitive decision.

I agree Hendricks earned his shot. But I'm not buying him as the man in GSP's nightmares. If GSP's cacking it about anyone it's Anderson Silva.

Yep I agree, that's why he's fighting everyone and their uncle apart from Anderson. Every now and then Dana pops up and says if they both win their next title defences its on, then when they do it all goes quiet. Maybe it's not meant to be

Going back to Hendricks, I don't think Georges is scared either but he is the only worthy challenger at the moment with the tools that could test him.

Nick Diaz has accused UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre of being on steroids.

"I believe that he is on plenty of steroids and I don't think they test around here either," Diaz said in an interview with Sportsnet Radio on Thursday. "I doubt I'll be tested as well. I don't care what they're saying or marketing to the media. I don't think either of us are going to be tested. And if so, he's probably got a bottle of piss in his pocket. I doubt they're standing over him and making sure he's not on steroids."

The California fighter faces St-Pierre on Saturday in the main event of UFC 158 at the Bell Centre.

Unlike St-Pierre, Diaz has failed drug tests. He is coming off a one-year suspension for his second positive test for marijuana.

Diaz says he used the drug medicinally to deal with social anxiety issues.

Diaz also raised the issues of cheating at Thursday's pre-fight news conference when he talked about "the strong guy on steroids" benefitting under the current MMA rules in terms of wrestlers holding opponents down.

The doping issue was raised again when the two fighters got involved in a verbal exchange.

"I'm not on steroids," said St-Pierre. "I've never cheated in my life."

"We'll see if they test who for steroids or what," answered Diaz.

"I hope they do," answered the champion.

UFC president Dana White also rubbished the drugs claim.

"He's never been busted for anything," he said of GSP. "The guy's fought a million times in title fights and mostly guys in title fights are the ones that get tested. He's never tested positive for anything even close."

In 2009, B.J. Penn also accused St. Pierre of taking steroids, although he said he had no proof.

"It's just my opinion that he uses steroids," Penn told Yahoo Sports. "That's it. My opinion. I do believe it. I can't hand you any proof, but that's my opinion."

Penn also accused St-Pierre of illegally greasing during their last fight. Again it was denied.

The Quebec commission will handle drug testing for UFC 158.

Diaz really is a prat, isn't he? Considering he's the guy who's just back from a drug suspension, making such a claim is simply ridiculous.

I know Dana wanted this fight because it'll obviously draw bigger than a St-Pierre/Hendricks fight, but he must be shitting himself that Diaz somehow pulls off the upset win. Imagine having this moron representing your company? Fucking hell...

He's worded it in a really shitty way, but the claim may have some merit. GSP is ridiculously muscled for his frame and looks much bigger now than several years ago. GSP very well could simply be the ultimate dedicated athlete with great genetics, but it's not a "ridiculous" statement.

As for testing clean in the past, so did Overeem until he got a random test. GSP always knows when he fights, and knows that he would get tested at that time.

I'm not saying that he is on something, just pointing out that it's very feasible. If a news headline popped up tomorrow saying he tested positive, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

• Paid Members

Can't link to it (maybe some other kind soul can) but the scrum's on YouTube, an hour long this time. Look for TheFightNetwork channel and you'll find it.

The subject of PEDs comes up. At one point Kevin Iole is debating drug testing with Dana and he seems a rattled. It's good to see reporters asking him tougher questions, for ages these scrums have been full of yes men. It also highlighted how poor Dana can come across debating. If he's challenged on something he just shouts the person down. Iole raised some interesting points though.

Also, this from the scrum on GSP;

I've never seen Georges like this before a fight. He's really nasty and short with everybody. I brought them all in earlier said hi to everybody, and Georges was weird. Georges isn't Georges right now. Not even close. I think, he's coming off this knee surgery, coming off this tough title defence against Carlos Condit, a lot of people are talking smack about him..the pressure...he's in Montreal again. This stuff wears on you.

• Paid Members

Who is that guy? A UFC PR employee I guess right? I still see GSP winning but Diaz certainly seems to have got into his head more successfully than anyone else. GSP looked legitimately livid at times during the press conference.

Just to add to Wand's post regarding Dana, he was fuming after Ariel Helwani questioned Diaz about no showing. Never seen him act that way to Ariel before.

He went mental at Ariel during the scrum as well when he asked about fighters who have been suspected of using PEDs.

Just a UFC P.R rep.

I would like to add my name to the people who think GSP may have some added assistance. It could all be sour grapes, but when some insiders think between 70-80 per cent get added help, I do not see why GSP would not be part of that.

Two of the guys who have accused him in Diaz and Penn are maybe bitter but they do have a leg to stand on (unless you bring up their pot use) both are from a PED or HGH point of view two of the cleanest in the sport. If someone comes out and gives a opinion on not being on something out of nowhere, they are usually clean. It is usually the secretive ones you have to look out for.

For example, Frank Mir dismissed a question on TRT quite sheepishly and a few months later it turned out he was using TRT.

I have no proof on GSP at all, just speculation and my own opinion. The truth is we may never find out one way or another.

A reminder weigh-ins start in nearly 15 minutes. There are times they are eventful, times when they aren't. I have a feeling this is going to be in the former camp because of the main event. Let's hope Nick doesn't do a Nate in December. Still can't believe that.

Here's the link for the weigh-ins:

EDIT: Voted GSP, Condit and Ellenberger by decision. If I wasn't picking Condit, I'd like Hendricks to win as he should be fighting GSP on this show.

University work, F1 and other distractions have made me not dip into MMA media as much this week. Luckily, I have been about today to watch press conference, weigh ins and Dana's scrum. The result is, I am looking forward to this more than any other UFC fight since Chael vs Anderson 2.

There is a real gritty feel to the whole event, whilst the hype is not the level of Chael/Anderson it is a lot more realistic. Neither play the clown or a OTT personality. They are both very real life people, no one is putting on a show here. Diaz, right or wrong, I think believes every word he says. There is a genuine bile to him when he talks about GSP, and it is visible that GSP in response is legit annoyed with Diaz's words.

BJ Penn claims he used to put word to GSP to hype fights and talk trash about George so he would respond to gain public interest. GSP could never respond as it was not in him. But he has found it in him to respond as Diaz has pretty much questioned everything about GSP's character over the last week. Every critic of GSP whether fellow fighters or forum posters have said stuff this stuff before but not to such a extent on a public platform. Here is a list.

Accusation of PED's use - Yep

Questioning the nice guy act - Yep (calling GSP out on wanting to legit hurt him)

The athlete over "real figher" or martial artist accusation - Yep, in several ways as well like questioning his fighting style and whether it is actually fighting and also questioning GSP pampered lifestyle.

Making GSP out to be in Dana's boys club - Yep

Whether he is a genuine person - Yep (wolftickets)

The obsession with bullying - Yep, this one is probably the worst with the PED accusation, as they are the subjects it seems GSP is most sensitive to.

The only thing missing is the accusation that he is gay that some fans bring up now and again. He has gone too far at times but it has made for terrific viewing. MMA purists can moan all they want, but would GSP vs Hendricks grab the interest this has? No. Would Hendricks make GSP this interesting? No. And finally does Hendricks provide much more of a challenge to GSP than Diaz? In my view again No.

Enjoy this all whilst it lasts, because this is all MMA at its very best and whether you love him or hate him, you can thank Nick Diaz for it. I bet it will draw decent numbers on PPV as well. The only downsides are that no one else can get me excited for a GSP 170lbs fight after Diaz, and Diaz's antics have highlighted what a unreasonable tosspot Dana White can be. The conversation with Iole and Helwani underlines that perfectly.

• Paid Members

Well the weigh in was lively wasn't it. Diaz with the Stockton and Pride shirts, and that weird flex thing on the scales. The brief staredown and antics followed by GSP mimicking Diaz. The crowd was mental.

Can't wait for this fight now. For a fight which I've always felt pretty sure about result wise, Diaz has fucked with and drawn enough out of GSP to place just a hint of a doubt in my head on the result.

Odds are we'll get the same GSP as always tomorrow night and he'll batter Diaz for the full 25. But we've never seen GSP go into a fight this wound up and angry. The shit talking Penn and Hardy offered was nothing compared to this and it's shown in GSP's demeanour this week. I wouldn't think he'll let it get the better of him but if he does come in over-aggressive to really go for the kill he could leave himself open and Diaz could take advantage.

Sticking with logic - GSP on points, but the fight has been made more interesting after seeing GSP's usually cool temper heat up over the last week or so.

Archived