UFC 158: 'St Pierre vs Diaz'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I think Ellenberger will get Saffiedine next. Or maybe Maia. Either makes sense as far as contention and rankings go.

I agree on the Hendricks stuff. The wait has just built his aura up more. He's now beat 4 top welterweights in a row, 2 of them in less than a minute combined. I still think GSP beats him but it's definitely a dangerous fight. If GSP can make it a long fight I think he can tire Hendricks out, his overall striking is better and despite Hendricks great wrestling background I think GSP will be able to take him down.

But what Hendricks has that Diaz didn't is that huge one punch KO power and elite wrestling. And despite it looking a bit wild, he's great at landing that left. And his confidence is at an all-time high. He's a really dangerous opponent for GSP right now.

Both GSP and Anderson are fighting perhaps their most challenging opponents next. If they both win I think that will be the time to make the superfight.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Ellenberger will get Saffiedine next. Or maybe Maia. Either makes sense as far as contention and rankings go.

If GSP gets past Hendricks and Maia keeps winning, I'd really like to see GSP vs. Maia for the UFC Welterweight Championship because GSP likes his wrestling, Maia has elite BJJ and has looked great as a Welterweight so far.

• Paid Members

If GSP vs Maia ever happens, I'd bet my left love spud that GSP would try to keep it standing. Basically I think he'd try to re-run the gameplan he had against Shields. Would be an intriguing fight though with how fantastic Maia has looked at 170.

Who does Condit fight next? Do they do the Rory McDonald match that should have taken place last weekend?

Ellenberger vs. Saffiedine makes sense as the next fight for both, but then who would everyone like to see Maia fight next?

Who does Condit fight next? Do they do the Rory McDonald match that should have taken place last weekend?

I think it depends on MacDonald's injury status, but it's the obvious fight for both, isn't it? Should be a complete cracker as well.

As for Tarec Saffiedine, I think a win over either Ellenberger or Maia would see him move into the #1 contenders slot.

• Paid Members

Yeah it has to be some combination of Ellenberger, Maia and Saffiedine. I'd have picked Woodley to fight the odd man out of those three but it seems he's fighting Jake Shields.

I'd love to see Condit vs Rory 2 but the problem there, as well as Rory keep getting injured, might be that Rory is coming off a 4 fight win streak and Condit's lost his last 2.

If Diaz decides to fight on, and doesn't fail any drug tests, and doesn't get locked up for tax evasion - maybe Condit vs Diaz 2 is the fight to make.

Then do Ellenberger vs Saffiedine and Rory vs Maia. Or some other combo of those 4.

If Diaz decides to fight on, and doesn't fail any drug tests, and doesn't get locked up for tax evasion - maybe Condit vs Diaz 2 is the fight to make.

If Diaz is being honest about wanting "super fights", then why not put him in there with someone like Wanderlei or Rich Franklin? He's obviously not going to be making a title run any time soon.

• Paid Members

Wanderlei Silva vs Nick Diaz would be absolutely fantastic. I've brought it up on here before as well. It's the perfect fan friendly fight between two names who have big fan followings and are both at a point where they won't be going for titles anytime soon. But they can both still put on great fights.

They could do it at 185. Only problem is Wand's back at 205 and doesn't seem too interested in cutting weight at this stage. I'd love to see it though, it's been a proper dream fight of mine for a long time.

• Paid Members

im all for Diaz/Condit II, the controversy that came around from the decision and the shit that was aimed at Condit afterwards leads me to believe that Condit would come in swinging, let's settle it.

• Paid Members

Condit vs Diaz 2 makes sense. I like Silky's suggestion of Diaz vs Leben at 185 as well, that's a fight that never crossed my mind before. Imagine how great the build up to a Diaz vs Bisping fight would be as well?

I'd love to see Diaz vs Lawler 2 actually. Or Hardy. Or Alves.

So yeah, basically, I'd be gutted if he retires. So many great fights to be made.

St-Pierre went into his bout with Diaz with not only a fever but an injured Achilles tendon, according to Firas Zahabi;

News has begun to trickle out about the health -- or lack thereof -- of St. Pierre, who was apparently under the weather on the morning of the blockbuster pay-per-view, fighting a fever before having to perform for 25 exhausting minutes against perhaps the best-conditioned athlete in the sport.

St. Pierre managed to push through it and register a dominant decision win, however, it was pretty clear that "Rush" did not turn in his most spirited and/or impressive performance to date against a trash-talking, "disrespectful" opponent who he uncharacteristically vowed to beat into premature retirement.

It all made a little more sense when his head trainer, Firas Zahabi, revealed post-fight that he was battling a bug, but now Le Journal de Montreal has additional comments from the head of Tristar Gym, who revealed St. Pierre tweaked his Achilles tendon toward the end of training camp.

He explains;

"Fortunately, there were no tears. That said, it was very tense and very painful, but not enough to cancel the fight. Our concern was that the tendon tears during combat. For the moment, we do not know if he aggravated his injury, but it certainly will undergo treatment in the coming weeks for the tendon can heal properly. "

With the combination of sickness and injury, St. Pierre, naturally, found it "incredibly difficult" to compete. The good news is that he did, and even on perhaps his worst day, St. Pierre was skilled enough to convincingly defeat the former Strikeforce 170-pound champion.

Perhaps more important, St. Pierre -- who was sidelined up until relatively recently for about one year because of major knee surgery -- did not exacerbate the Achilles injury to a point where it would require another extended leave or, worst case scenario, another trip to the operating room.

With two post-op wins now in the bag, St. Pierre certainly deserves some much-needed rest and relaxation to get his mind and body right again. And, according to Zahabi, the French-Canadian will likely convalesce for about six months, putting him on a collision course with No. 1 division contender, Johny Hendricks, sometime in fall 2013.

Archived