UFC 158: 'St Pierre vs Diaz'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeah Ellenberger vs Sanchez was 3 rounds but being such a good fight it was the reason Dana decided to make all future main events 5 rounds. There were a couple that were still 3 rounders like Gusty-Silva (already booked in advance as a 3 rounder) and Mouse-Creepy (tournament rematch) but it was Ellenberger/Sanchez that changed Dana's mind. I think before that it was meant to just be for the numbered UFCs.

I hope you're right on GSP vs Diaz. It needs to happen now, there's been too much gone on for it to go tits up at the last minute. As long as Diaz shows up to the presser tomorrow I think we're alright. He shows up for weigh ins and definitely for fights.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Dana's know mentioned that after UFC 137, Nick Diaz tried fighting GSP in the hotel after the show.

This has been one of the weirdest build ups i can rememeber, the fight seems to have taken a backseat to the antics of Nick Diaz.

• Paid Members

I have to say Dana's slightly pissing me off now. Fair play for press conferences, but fucking open workouts? I'm sorry but this shouldn't be something a fighter has to do. White of all people should know the hell fighters go through to make weight and adding horse shit media responsibilities on top of the standard press conference (which should be enough for the media I might add) is ridiculous. Diaz has done more than anybody to sell this PPV by simply being himself.

It's at times like these I believe fighters would be better off portrayed as individuals like boxers are. Would you really someone like White raining hell on someone like Floyd Mayweather for not turning up to an open workout?

Diaz NEVER no shows a fight (ok, that ridiculous BJJ fight with Estima was one, but it was a joke) and that's all that should matter.

• Paid Members

It will certainly play into Nick Diaz's crazy self-destructive tendencies if he decided to no-show the biggest fight of his career. Pretty much kills his UFC career too.

I wasn't a massive fan of the Countdown show, if I'm honest. They seemed to spend more time going on about how mental Diaz is, while that's entertaining it doesn't make me extra excited to see GSP cave his skull in. Not for me, this one.

• Paid Members
I have to say Dana's slightly pissing me off now. Fair play for press conferences, but fucking open workouts? I'm sorry but this shouldn't be something a fighter has to do. White of all people should know the hell fighters go through to make weight and adding horse shit media responsibilities on top of the standard press conference (which should be enough for the media I might add) is ridiculous. Diaz has done more than anybody to sell this PPV by simply being himself.

It's at times like these I believe fighters would be better off portrayed as individuals like boxers are. Would you really someone like White raining hell on someone like Floyd Mayweather for not turning up to an open workout?

yeh, but Lamby the fighters are obligated to do these things, it's in their contracts and it's their responsibilty as high-level fighters. It's all to do with the promotion of the fight, boxers do this shit as well.

It's not a case of whether they want too or not, it's their job.

As for Mayweather, bad example...you ever think Floyd would ever miss an oppurtunity to play it up for the camera's? the dude invites fans and streams his open workouts online, it's all in the game.

Nobody plays the media game better than Floyd Mayweather Jr. and as a result he's one of the richest athletes in the world.

There's something a little unsettling to me when the whole event is built on pointing & laughing at the slightly retarded kid who can't handle pressure & structure very well. I'll be happy when it's all over & done with, and for his own sake I hope Diaz doesn't win this fight.

• Paid Members

Yeh its strange, i get the feeling that their trying to get a reaction out of Diaz but it aint like Diaz hasnt been to the dance before though, hes been in massive fights before, he knows what hes in for when he signs up.

Diaz came out of the Condit Primetime/buildup looking better than ever, it was as if we got to see the real Diaz and fans were generally impressed, all that shit seems to have been forgotten now.

• Paid Members

yeh, but Lamby the fighters are obligated to do these things, it's in their contracts and it's their responsibilty as high-level fighters. It's all to do with the promotion of the fight, boxers do this shit as well.

It's not a case of whether they want too or not, it's their job.

As for Mayweather, bad example...you ever think Floyd would ever miss an oppurtunity to play it up for the camera's? the dude invites fans and streams his open workouts online, it's all in the game.

Nobody plays the media game better than Floyd Mayweather Jr. and as a result he's one of the richest athletes in the world.

At no point did I even bring up contracts. The point is this shit SHOULDN'T be in a fighters contract. A friggin open workout and people are panicing? Come on.

And the Mayweather thing, again you missed the point. It doesn't matter whether Mayweather shows up to these things or not, it's the fact that if he chose to not show, he wouldn't have someone like Dana White on him with an itchy trigger finger to cancel the thing.

What puzzles me with White's approach is that Diaz not playing his game is actually creating more headlines and interest. If Dana White can't see this then I'm completely baffled.

• Paid Members

ok i see what you're saying, you may think an open workout is pointless but it serves a purpose and it aint like they spring these things on the guys last minute, there's a schedule and when the fighters agree to fight they also agree to take part in the other stuff, Diaz is the only person in the wrong here.

Dana would be pissed at anyone for not showing up to these things, it aint like hes singling Diaz out either, it's just that Nick's the only one stupid enough to not attend.

• Paid Members
ok i see what you're saying, you may think an open workout is pointless but it serves a purpose and it aint like they spring these things on the guys last minute, there's a schedule and when the fighters agree to fight they also agree to take part in the other stuff, Diaz is the only person in the wrong here.

Dana would be pissed at anyone for not showing up to these things, it aint like hes singling Diaz out either, it's just that Nick's the only one stupid enough to not attend.

I agree, I see the purpose in the open workouts. However, it should be an optional thing. White losing his shit and causing a frenzy about it is nonsensical. If Diaz - who is approaching the biggest fight of his life - decides he needs to rest that day, then so be it.

Do you really think it's all down to him being stupid though? He obviously knew he was supposed to be there, so it would take someone really stupid to simply not show. I think he has mental issues. He most likely was planning to go, then decided at the last minute that he simply couldn't do it.

As I said a few posts up, he's obviously not all there, and for the UFC to use this as some sort of promotional angle is pretty off in my opinion.

Do you really think it's all down to him being stupid though? He obviously knew he was supposed to be there, so it would take someone really stupid to simply not show. I think he has mental issues. He most likely was planning to go, then decided at the last minute that he simply couldn't do it.

As I said a few posts up, he's obviously not all there, and for the UFC to use this as some sort of promotional angle is pretty off in my opinion.

Yeah, he is not stupid. I think he is a fairly bright guy with major social anxiety issues. Whether you agree or disagree with some of the stuff he says, he never talks complete jibberish, even if he does talk in a very unrefined way.

Interestingly according to Frank Shamrock, Diaz is a big party guy so he is not meant to be a recluse or anything.

• Paid Members

I think you're half right David. I certainly think you're way off the mark with your "he's obviously not all there" quote though. I actually think Diaz is a very smart person. You see him when he's in a more intimate environment and calm, he's perfectly fine. As Jim says he obviously has a social anxiety disorder, but saying he's not all there ain't right to me.

I personally don't see where you get the idea of the UFC playing off his issues though? They are simply promoting this fight as bad blood between the pair.

My point is that Dana White should recognise Nick has these anxiety issues and cut the guy some damn slack.

• Paid Members

its very hard from the outside to put a finger on it, you can make arguments from every direction a) he doesn't like the media b) he's stupid c) he likes to mess with people) d) he has a social anxiety problem but i doubt we'll ever get a true answer.

Did Diaz ever give Strikeforce any problems? i know it was on a smaller scale but Diaz was headlining every card he was on for the last couple of years he was there, i don't recall any real problems, people's opinion of Diaz around that time was that he was a bit of a scumbag with a bad attitude.

Archived