UFC 158: 'St Pierre vs Diaz'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Dave i don't wanna beat a dead horse, but i like the way you think a fight between a small GSP and a much bigger Anderson Silva is ludicrous, but a similar situation in the female divsion is perfectly logical.

I'm sure you said this to me before, and when you did I made the point that Rousey has fought at 145lbs before on more than one occasion. St-Pierre hasn't fought at 185lbs before.

Both situations are entirely different.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

yeh i know that, and i said that Ronda fought at a heavier weights but at much lower level than fighting a chick like Cyborg. Ronda's optimum fighting weight is 135, just like GSP's is 170, its the same situation but you have a different opinion for each side.

anyway's this aint the place, we can do this in the 157 thread :laugh:

Just read on wiki that GSP has been training hands with Lucian Bute for this fight, wondering if we might see GSP out and box with Nick, could get interesting.

• Paid Members

Anderson Silva is up for dropping to 170 though. A weight he hasn't made since about 2005/06. So it's not a case of poor Georges having to go up in weight. He'd be fighting at his weight, Anderson would have to drain himself.

This stuff GSP was saying that Anderson would be 230lbs or whatever come fight night, that's a bunch of shite. Anderson's not 230lbs in the cage even when he fights at 205. He only weighed in at 202 vs Bonnar for fuck sake.

The fight hasn't even been talked about as a middleweight fight in ages. When it's brought up it's usually a catchweight of 177ish that's commonly thrown around. Then GSP suggested Anderson drop to 170 and he'd be up for it. Anderson calls his bluff and agrees, and we don't hear a peep out of GSP since.

To hammer home and put in perspective GSP's claim that Anderson is a 230lbs monster, fucking Cormier weighed 230 for his last fight.

No way Anderson would weigh in at 177, and defo not 170, and be able to pack on 50-60lbs overnight. Come on Georges.

Whats the rough amount that a big weight cutter cuts these days? I always figured it was around 20lbs. Is it even more? During the whole Belfort/Johnson pre match mess, didnt Rogan say that Belfort weighed in on the day at 205lbs? Vitor is massive, so I cant see fighters cutting more than what he did.

On a related note, I just rewatched Diaz vs Penn, and Diaz looks very small for the division. Doubt he would have any problems dropping down a division.

St-Pierre would go into the Anderson fight with a four inch height disadvantage and a reach disadvantage as well. Anderson is more evenly matched with Jon Jones, which is why it's a fight I'd rather see.

Anderson would be at a height and reach disadvantage fighting Jon Jones, just as GSP would be fighting Anderson. Anderson is perfectly in the middle to be able to fight both and if Jones vs Silva is a fair fight, then so is Anderson vs GSP in my opinion

• Paid Members

Dai -

Yeah, Diaz used to fight at 160 in EliteXC. And the Gomi fight in Pride. I think he could make 155. Him and Nate look about the same frame.

It seems anywhere between 10-20lbs is the average for most biggish weight cutters. But a freak like Tibau weighs in at 155 and probably weighs a good 180-185 on fight night. Alves probably packs on close to 30lbs as well.

Even if Anderson put the 10-20lbs back on after the weigh in, for a fight at 177, that's 187-197lbs. Even call it 200lbs. Probably even less if they fought at 170. GSP reportedly weighs around 190lbs on fight nights. So they wouldn't be far apart in weight. The difference would be Anderson would have to cut more weight than he has in 7 years, while GSP would be cutting less, presumably making him fresher on the scales.

I don't see how this would be a terrible stacking of odds against GSP like he makes out. It would be Anderson making all the concessions.

St-Pierre would go into the Anderson fight with a four inch height disadvantage and a reach disadvantage as well. Anderson is more evenly matched with Jon Jones, which is why it's a fight I'd rather see.

Anderson would be at a height and reach disadvantage fighting Jon Jones, just as GSP would be fighting Anderson. Anderson is perfectly in the middle to be able to fight both and if Jones vs Silva is a fair fight, then so is Anderson vs GSP in my opinion

Yeah, but the difference would be that Anderson has fought in Jon Jones weight class a good few times already. As I said, St-Pierre is a small welterweight, never mind anything above that.

Don't get me wrong, if they made the fight I'd watch it, but it's pretty much a certainty that St-Pierre loses. It's just a case of how badly he loses, and how much damage it does to his reputation.

A decision loss won't affect him too badly, but if he loses to a typical Silva wonder finish it will affect his drawing power. I don't care what anyone says, seeing a guy get laid out in highlight reel fashion damages a reputation.

• Paid Members
A decision loss won't affect him too badly, but if he loses to a typical Silva wonder finish it will affect his drawing power. I don't care what anyone says, seeing a guy get laid out in highlight reel fashion damages a reputation.

Chuck Liddell got knocked out in spectacular fashion by both Rampage and Rashad. Neither time did it negatively affect his drawing power, with him going on to draw even higher buy rates in the fights that followed each respective loss.

I'm nowhere near as excited for this fight as I thought I would be. It still feels tainted by Diaz's loss and drugs suspension. I fully expect an absolute demolishing though. Diaz will spend a couple of rounds getting frustrated than Georges won't stand still and let Nick hit him, then I predict either a late stoppage or an easy decision victory for GSP.

• Paid Members

GSP himself has proven you can get laid out and go on to draw big on PPV. By all rights the KO loss to Matt Serra should have killed his drawing power. Getting sparked in the first round by a guy who really should have been a lightweight and was coming off a stint on a season of TUF for going nowhere journeymen fighters. That journeymen KO'd GSP live on PPV. It should have finished him as a PPV seller by logic.

He's the UFC PPV king now. If he lost to Serra and people were still willing to shell out to watch him, I doubt they'd hold a loss to Anderson Silva against him, in fact it might even create more interest with people wanting to see how he bounces back.

Yeah, but the difference would be that Anderson has fought in Jon Jones weight class a good few times already. As I said, St-Pierre is a small welterweight, never mind anything above that.

Again though, as has been mentioned before, Anderson has said he'd go down to 170 or at best a 177 catchweight, so GSP is not being asked to go to Middleweight, it's Anderson who's the one willing to do all the work. As I said before, if Jones vs Silva is a fair fight, then so is Anderson vs GSP in my opinion

Chuck Liddell got knocked out in spectacular fashion by both Rampage and Rashad. Neither time did it negatively affect his drawing power, with him going on to draw even higher buy rates in the fights that followed each respective loss.

In that case he should face Anderson at whatever weight Silva feels comfortable at, go out and get creamed and then wait on the dollars to flow in when he picks himself up off the canvas I guess.

Archived