The Ultimate Fighter 17: 'Team Jones vs Team Sonnen'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

That's exactly my point, that it's just a TV show. I take it all with a pinch of salt, like when they showed the ambulance & Chael's KO reaction which we later learned was edited in from other episodes. To try & make a judgement of character or form a valid opinion of anyone based on 'reality TV' is nigh on impossible as it's all so contrived & manufactured. When people are saying 'Chael came across really well' - Of course he did, that was the intention of the director & producers, job well done!

It's not like I'm sitting there watching it picking bits which are overly produced/edited, just that conversation was so contrived it stood out more than the rest to the point where it took me out of the show.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
It was a cracking KO, but when Dana said it's the worst he's seen I'm guessing he was too busy Tweeting to see Edson Barboza put Terry Etim away at UFC 142.

Can't say I agree David old chap. Whilst visually Barboza's was picture perfect, Hall's was flat out fucking nasty. The impact was really full on and the site of his his opponent (sorry, can't remember his) sucking air was horrible.

I think it seemed more emphatic simply because it happened in a closed area with no crowd. The sounds that we heard in the fight on Tuesday simply couldn't be heard in a noisy arena, and that added to the effect.

Barboza's KO was much nastier and connected much cleaner. Neither of them were as harsh as either Manny Pacquiao's KO of Ricky Hatton, or Marquez KO of Pacquiao in my opinion though.

That's exactly my point, that it's just a TV show. I take it all with a pinch of salt, like when they showed the ambulance & Chael's KO reaction which we later learned was edited in from other episodes. To try & make a judgement of character or form a valid opinion of anyone based on 'reality TV' is nigh on impossible as it's all so contrived & manufactured. When people are saying 'Chael came across really well' - Of course he did, that was the intention of the director & producers, job well done!

It's not like I'm sitting there watching it picking bits which are overly produced/edited, just that conversation was so contrived it stood out more than the rest to the point where it took me out of the show.

I know what you are saying, but I do not think it is always impossible to form a judgement of someone from TUF. Take Rampage, I doubt anyone tried to make him comes across as a fool when he coached.

Chael did have a reason to give a pep talk to Hall, so it was not like it came out of nowhere. You have a point, it probably was edited for dramatic effect. I am not going to try and argue Chael is the greatest person who ever lived or anything, but if we get to the end of the season and his fighters have a positive opinion on him, that must count for something.

Its not like fighters who were coached by Ken Shamrock and Koscheck had a gun to their head when they said they were shit coaches.

I think Chael is a decent guy behind the trash talk, I cannot prove that its just a gut feeling from when he is shot on camera and out of "Chael P Sonnen" mode. You could say he is playing up to the camera in these off moments, but why would he play up then when most of his OTTness he puts on makes him come across as a deluded bellend to people who do not see the joke anyway.

I know Chael's style of OTT trash talk will not appeal to every fan, even if they do get the joke and understand what he is doing is actually very productive. But some fans fail to get the joke in it.

I think Chael is a decent guy behind the trash talk, I cannot prove that its just a gut feeling from when he is shot on camera and out of "Chael P Sonnen" mode.

Being that he is a right-wing Republican who has been done with money laundering I'm not sure how much of a "decent guy" he could be. He's undoubtedly a decent coach though, and is far smarter than his "character" would suggest.

Is he not more Libertarian than Republican? I don't know its just what I heard. Either way, I may not agree with his politics and the money laundering, but from reading his book and seeing him out of trash talk mode, I think he is decent.

He is a lot less cocky than other fighters I like, namely Frank Shamrock and Michael Bisping.

• Paid Members
It was a cracking KO, but when Dana said it's the worst he's seen I'm guessing he was too busy Tweeting to see Edson Barboza put Terry Etim away at UFC 142.

Dana didn't say it was the worst, he said it was 'one of the worst'.

Can't say I agree David old chap. Whilst visually Barboza's was picture perfect, Hall's was flat out fucking nasty. The impact was really full on and the site of his his opponent (sorry, can't remember his) sucking air was horrible.

I feel the same way. One of the scariest/nastiest KO's I've ever seen in MMA/boxing.

• Paid Members

It was simply the full on connection of Hall's kick that does it for me. If you watch Barboza's it's not quite as plum a connection.

PS, apologies for the horrendous spelling error, I meant 'sight' instead of 'site'.

Uriah Hall was good but he seems to move backwards in a straight line with his hands low, he did it constantly in the fight with Cella. Someone with decent technical striking will pick him apart when he gets into the UFC if he doesn't change his habits.

Brutal KO though, very well timed. He looked to be trying to set it up a few times throughout the fight.

Awful episode this week, I thought. Loved the way that after the fight, the loser still thought he was in for a chance with the wildcard, when you know for a fact that Dana would be furious after such a shit display. A shame we didnt get a Dana "Wanting it/Your one shot to impress" promo at the end.

• Paid Members
Awful episode this week, I thought. Loved the way that after the fight, the loser still thought he was in for a chance with the wildcard, when you know for a fact that Dana would be furious after such a shit display. A shame we didnt get a Dana "Wanting it/Your one shot to impress" promo at the end.

It was funny that two slugs to the face wasn't enough to open him up, but a love-tap headbutt was.

Loved the way that after the fight, the loser still thought he was in for a chance with the wildcard, when you know for a fact that Dana would be furious after such a shit display.

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

I think Casey is brought back, and he loses again. In a preview for a earlier episode you see him being wheeled out in a Ambulance.

Archived