The Ultimate Fighter 17: 'Team Jones vs Team Sonnen'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
A good fight this week, but fucking hell, this season sucks balls. Chael and Jon having a nice little chat in the corridor before shaking hands was unbelievable. When they announced this season I was exploding with excitement for both the show and their fight, but now I don't give a shit about either. This is easily up there with the Brock and JDS for worst season of all time. Chael better turn it to 11 by the time they start recording the Countdown show because right now this fight means fuck all.

My god Supremo, this season so far has been quite good, but labelling it the worst ever is madness.

Now, perhaps what's really clouding your judgement was the hype you felt when you found out Jones and Sonnen were coaching against each other? The thing is, Chael will never be an Ortiz or Rampage type guy. He plays mind games. That's his thing. He's not that aggressive in your face character.

I believe he's playing mind games with Jones and Jones is dropping his guard.

So, whilst the season doesn't have those explosive coach elements, it's more than made up for it with fighters with more personality.

I think this season so far in terms of fights has been one of the best, whilst additionally I believe this current crop of fighters could yield more stars in the future than any past TUF season.

I think the trick to this Jones/Sonnen feud is to not let it blow it's wad too early. Sonnen has already said he has no problem with "coach Jones" however, come fight time, he will have a serious problem with Jon Jones the fighter.

Don't give up hope yet as I think this will be great...plus..it better be as it's costing me a fucking fortune.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think this season so far in terms of fights has been one of the best, whilst additionally I believe this current crop of fighters could yield more stars in the future than any past TUF season.

For a lot of people, and I may possibly throw Supremo into this group (let me know if Im wrong), but fight quality and the future potential of the fighters is almost irrelevant when talking about TUF. Its a TV show afterall. You can see good fights all the time, so most people would prefer a dip in fight quality and an increase in house antics and personalities. I could name loads of fighters from the Kimbo TUF, for example, yet the fights were mostly awful. Also, I have to majorly disagree with:

So, whilst the season doesn't have those explosive coach elements, it's more than made up for it with fighters with more personality.

Ive watched every episode, and theres no way theres a wealth of great personalities. In fact, there have been very few standout characters. Bubba, for instance, is one of only 2 or 3 who I actually know the name of when I see them, and he has hardly been a massive douche doing crazy shit throughout the season (which sums up how bland the others are). The rest just sort of blend into one "I had a rough childhood/Im doing it for my family" fighter.

"Slow build" or not, not even one scene of Sonnen hamming it up for the cameras yet has to be seen as disappointing.

I've quite enjoyed this season so far, I gave up on Carwin/Nelson after a couple of episodes but so far, I'm enjoying this and looking forward to tuning in every week.

Though I would have liked for there to be more drama between Jones and Chael, them getting along has added a strange dynamic to it, I'm intrigued by their relationship and I want to see where it goes, in fact Chael has kind of won me over and I've found myself liking him.

The fighters so far are pretty likable too, I like that there hasn't been a lot of douchebaggarey in the house, as that usually puts memoff.

• Paid Members

really hoped that Josh would get eliminated this week, that would be the two guys i dislike knocked out in consecutive weeks, wasn't to be though :( I guess the 'myth' of Tor going in was finally put to bed too :laugh:

Most interesting guy on the show is Urijah Hall without doubt, he's a strange cat. I get the impression that the guys in the house are purposely poking him to make him react, the whole firepit sequence looked like they were trying to make Urijah react, they obviously know he's abit of a loose cannon so why push him? Bubba even came out and had a little pop at breakfast, he clearly knew what was said so why bring it up again?

• Paid Members

My personal feeling is that the UFC have sown the seeds for the eventual show finale in Uriah Vs. Luke B. It's like the WWE doing one of those slow builds to a fued blow off match between two tag partners. It almost comes across like the Bisping/Hamill season on TUF 3 where the two of them would complain about each other and how Hamill was going to hard in training etc. Gutted that Tor lost I thought he was going to be the shows dark horse and cut a swaith through the rest of the cast. Did enjoy the bowling sequence though Sonnen is starting to grow on me too much now. To the point where I'm beginning to hope he beats Jones. That with him and Bisping on analysis duties this weekend the "bad guy" is going to be the one who gets the most out of this season.

Quick note: tonight's episode isn't on at 2 due to basketball and my sky link kept it for friday morning at 3.30 but I noticed today it's on at 5 early tomorrow but im putting the programme after on as well to make sure. It's also on wednesday at 10 pm

• Paid Members

Decent fight this week, Clint Hester looked great for a round, he did a good job of stuffing the takedowns whilst doing a lot of damage, he even did significant damage when put on his back. Luke argued that the round was Jimmy's?!? not for me, scoring 3 takedowns is all well and good but all the damage came from Clint.

Round 2 started with probably the dumbest move of the season, Hester shot for a sloppy double leg, got reversed and it was game over...with Jones talking of Clint's poor cardio beforehand i can only think that he was going to be unable to defend Jimmy's shots and assumed his only chance of winning would be to get top position. Eitherway it was a poor decision and it cost him the fight.

Loved Chael giving Jones the jersey, it was bit of a nothing, playful bet but the payoff was pretty cruel, especially when you know Jones is a bad loser, great stuff :D

Right, possibly the most random and metrosexual question that has been asked in this thread.

Does anybody know where I might get a top like the one Josh was wearing while bowling?

It was pretty nifty if I do say so .

Pretty pretty nifty.

Recorded this on tuesday night for half the recording to be nba basketball , i thought fair enough i recorded it again last night for it again to be half a basketball game just watched the rest on dailymotion. that will teach me to not record the next show after it :angry:

• Paid Members

Dylan Andrews might be the surprise package of the house, he's been very quiet throughout, was the last pick but he could be the darkhorse for me. He's interesting in front of camera too, everyones saying he's a super nice guy but there's a bit to him than that, Urijah was transfixed during that table talk.

The wild card thing was interesting, i thought Jon came up with the most logical excuse on how to keep Bubba in in the end :laugh: , he was in a tough spot. The wild card is a cruel thing though.

Unfortunately, some earlier season goings on and the post show preview leads me to think we already know the result of next week's fight :(

Unfortunately, some earlier season goings on and the post show preview leads me to think we already know the result of next week's fight :(

Well, we were right, but not in the way we thought! I never thought he'd quit and give up before round three, but I guess if you don't have the gas you don't have the gas. Disappointing.

I'm still not sold on Bubba. He really didn't do anything to impress in that fight, and would have likely been soundly beaten had Kevin had a decent gas tank. Still, I have no doubt he'll get his backside handed to him in the next round.

The story of the night has to be Josh playing games to avoid the fight with Uriah. He's obviously playing it smart, and I can't quite understand why the fuck Collin Hart was asking for that fight.

What's the picks for next week then?

Collin Hart (4-1-1) vs. Kelvin Gastelum (5-0)

Luke Barnatt (5-0) vs. Dylan Andrews (16-4-1)

I'll go for Hart & Barnatt to go through, although I wouldn't be shocked if it went completely the opposite way.

It's an incredible comedown in image for Bubba. Remember before his first fight, when everyone in the house thought he was brilliant? "Trains with Jackson, Jones' sparring partner, very big for weight" etc etc. Then he gets exposed as being very average in his first fight, lucks out on a wild card, then gets dominated for a round in his next match. After some average ground and pound against a corpse in Round 2, his reaction to winning was hilariously inappropriate for what he actually did in the fight. He's gone from potential winner to someone it's very likely we will never see in the UFC.

Archived