The Ultimate Fighter 17: 'Team Jones vs Team Sonnen'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bubba's name is actually Robert? I missed them saying that on the show, thought his name was just Bubba and thought, "Can you get any more redneck?"

Nice semi-final fights. I like that both Kelvin and Uriah are very different fighters with marketable stories. You have the underdog in Kelvin, who isn't great at any one thing but gets the job done, against Uriah, a cold blooded killer who already has a formidable highlight reel. Uriah has the hype of being a MW contender already, the next Anderson Silva according to some, and Kelvin would be the youngest TUF winner in history.*

I liked seeing Josh get humbled, I felt like he was super cocky going in. It's one of those things where if you showed a random in the street a picture of both Josh and Kelvin, they'd likely all pick Josh, he looks like an incredible athlete and Kelvin looks like your average bloke. Very cool to see.

I thought Dylan froze up in this fight, he's looked much better throughout the season. I think he was just intimidated by the aura of Hall, and in the respect the Anderson comparisons are apt. I thought Chael telling Hall he could beat any top 10 middleweight was a little much, and there was another comment that I can't quite recall that seemed like pure hype, but one thing Dana nailed on the head was saying that he's never seen a KO from the bottom like that, that was mental.

It's shaped up to be an excellent fight card. We've got Urijah and Uriah- the California Kid and Mr. Tekken/Street Fighter (nice Hadoken), we've got Miesha Tate, heavyweights, a very promising TUF cast, and a sick Facebook card. Seriously, I deactivated my Facebook the other week, and am considering getting back on just to make sure I catch these fights. Miller vs. Bartimus will be a violent, fast paced, technical war, Justin Lawrence should add to his highlight reel, and Sam Sicilia is another impressive TUF alum. Exciting times, indeed!

* I think they've been saying Kelvin is the youngest TUF competitor in history as well, which is inaccurate- the Smashes' Patrick Iodice was 19.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah they're always streamed live on Youtube as well as FB.

Regarding those fights - fuck Sam Sicilia, I'm hoping this will be Maximo Blanco's time to shine. I was really excited for his debut but his fight with Brimage left me cold. The best part of that fight was them both doing backflips after it. I'm hoping for something better out of Maximo this time out.

I hope Bart sparks Cole Miller. Never been able to stand him. But if Cole fights to his strengths, his BJJ is excellent and I think he could win. He has been seemingly a sufferer of Jorge Gurgel-itis in recent years though, fancying himself as a striker. If he does that here I don't think he has the skill or chin to stand up to Bart's power.

• Paid Members
Any wors on why Zac Cummings is the only TUF'er without a fight? Im assuming its an injury.

I mentioned on the previous page that I'm guessing he was supposed to fight Clint Hestor with Clint being the only one with a random opponent. I would imagine as you say injury. That, or he is just shit?

• Paid Members
Nah, Cunmings was among the better guys in the house.

Whilst what I saying wasn't to be taken serious, I'm not really sure how you can make that claim?Lost in the first round quite easily to Dylan and he's lost 3 of his last 8 fights. Now I'm not pretending I've seen a lot of him, but I wouldn't classify him as one of the best in the house based on his TUF performances.

• Paid Members

I thought I might as well whack a poll up now we know the finals. Only 2 days to vote but sod it.

I agree with those saying it's kind of odd to see Bubba vs Gilbert on the main card as neither set the world alight during the show. Maybe it's a favour to Jones getting his mate a main card spot? I don't know. I think Barnatt vs Hart would have been my choice. Casey vs Samman makes sense as the FUEL headliner for the reasons Lamby said.

Whatever, looks a strong card. I'm still mostly looking forward to Faber vs Jorgensen and Tate vs Zingano though. I'll be hoping for something spectacular out of Hall. He's got that expectation to him now that some fighters have, like Anderson Silva and Anthony Pettis, where you start to expect something crazy and if it doesn't happen you're slightly let down. It's early days for Uriah though and we'll see how he handles the pressure.

I've got a feeling Cat Zingano will beat Tate. Everyone's overlooking her and talking about how great TUF: Rousey vs Tate will be and how the rematch will be this and that. Zingano's a dangerous fight for Miesha, she's meant to be a really good wrestler, she's done well in BJJ competitions, she's got some nifty throws;

i6X4YX6MttO2c.gif

Slick submissions;

ibd2avbbW3rYJw.gif

She has a KO via slam on her record as well. She's undefeated and she's fucking vicious. Tate's got the experience and she's tough, she still very well might win but I don't know why so many are looking past Zingano. Should be a really good fight either way.

• Paid Members

Zingano/Tate is a massive fight, the winner of that will be literally be put into a life changing situation. They get to coach TUF alongside one of the hottest talents in the game, mainstream media will be all over it...you gotta imagine endorsement deals fly in for these chicks too, it's fucking huge. I've never seen Zingano fight, but i really wanna see Tate win because i think Tate/Rousey 2 is gonna be great, the history will lead into a wild season of TUF as well. I can't wait for it.

If Hall goes in and smashes Kelvin's he gonna come off this show a potential superstar. Whereas most recent TUF winners come off the show and just mix in the pack, Urijah has legit star quality, and an insane style, sky's the limit.

The whole card looks quality.

Archived