The Ultimate Fighter 17: 'Team Jones vs Team Sonnen'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I don't have much of a life at the minute to be fair. My girlfriend's doing nights in a children's hospital at the moment so I'm at a loose end on the nights she's doing that. Well, being skint this week doesn't help matters either.

But it really doesn't take a lot of time or effort like you might think to knock a post up and add some pics. 10-15 minutes tops if you know what type of pics you're looking for. Certainly not worthy of post of the year or anything like that but glad my boredom provides some enjoyment.

• Paid Members
Yeah, I made an error that I promised myself I'd never do again. Mention Brock Lesnar in a negative light as far as MMA goes on a pro wrestling forum :laugh:

It's nothing to do with pro wrestling for me. I just genuinely don't feel that Brock was protected.

Same here. It's got nothing to do with Brock being a former pro-wrestler. The facts are the facts regardless.

As for your fight prediction wand, I think you're spot on apart from one thing; I don't think he'll be going after Vitor next. The way Chael talks about only having the one goal of being champion, and considering the opportunities that are coming in for him these days, I think this might be his last hurrah and he'll hang up the gloves afterwards.

I'll be gutted if he does though, and I'd love to see him headline a FOX show against a Vitor or a Little Nog. But yeah; I have a sneaky suspicion, particularly now that he's joined UFC Tonight permenantly, that once he loses again he might decide to call it a day. There'll be no more titles to go for, and he's obviously a smart enough guy to realise he's got a lucrative career awaiting him in broadcasting, without having to get punched in the face for a living.

• Paid Members

Yeah retirement would make sense as sad as I'd be to see it. And I always thought he'd hang the gloves up if he felt like he couldn't get another title shot. But I don't know, he's already started hyping a potential Belfort fight so maybe it's not totally out of the question.

Here's Chael's response to Vitor's recent callout;

Let me be real clear and speak direct with you, Vitor: you've been telling the world that you'd like to meet Jesus. I'd be glad to arrange that travel. But, first, I'm going to get rid of Jon Jones. But, you are next. Let me be clear: Vitor, I accept. Don't make any mistake about that. You have called me out twice now, once after I signed a contract to fight Anderson Silva and once when you know I was busy with Jon Jones. I accept.

And then this implying that Vitor chickened out;

"I thought he challenged me. Which I quickly accepted. Then his people reached out to me and said I simply [misunderstood], that he simply wants the fight that I have, that he does not wish to fight me.

"It's a good move by him. He's terrible."

He's clearly baiting with that second quote.

One point regarding Brock and Cain

Cain was not thought as highly as some may think in 2010. Whilst most hardcores felt Cain would beat Brock, these same fans as Supremo mentioned also felt Mir and others would tool him.

Cain had serious questions in 2009 after Kongo dropped him and his GnP was seen by some to be weak. People generally thought Cain was being pushed along too fast and some felt Carwin was a slight favorite going into their potential fight that never happened. Carwin had yet too be exposed also.

Brock's weaknesses were only on display in mid-2010. So with what we knew back then, why would the UFC safeguard Brock from Cain if most felt that Brock was the more proven of the two? I remember experts confidently predicting Brock would beat Cain in 2009, and that opinion only changed after Carwin, and then Cain and Brock actually fought. So when was Brock protected from Cain, did Dana have a crystal ball.

Every fight Brock had made sense, the UFC did not protect him in the slightest. Cain was the better fighter when they fought and maybe always was, but that is not the argument.

• Paid Members

Bloomin hell Wand, that was an epic scale post. May as well cancel those tickets as I've already seen the fight now.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Chael gives Jones more problems than anyone Jones has faced so far simply due to Sonnen's conditioning. Now, I'm not saying he will win, just that the fight may be closer than expected.

And yes Wand, I will be the one in tears in the crowd.

• Paid Members
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Chael gives Jones more problems than anyone Jones has faced so far simply due to Sonnen's conditioning. Now, I'm not saying he will win, just that the fight may be closer than expected.

Well, as one sided as I'm expecting it to be, if Chael scores even one takedown it will have been closer than I expected :p

Really enjoyed this weeks ep. Absolutely loving the new filming style they're doing, its doing a great job in giving the show a bit of a fresher look.

Absolutely lovely flying knee KO, nice to see Barnatt get through. Jones' baffling fight pick turned out to be just that. I wasn't too impressed by Jones' coaching during the fight either, mainly just consisting of "just punch him" and not very helpful for Gilbert considering Jones more than anyone should've known what weaknesses to exploit for a lanky fighter.

Looking forward to next weeks fight and the crazy finish. I think that has pretty much guaranteed that Uriah is the hyped up guy we've been hearing about. Excited for next weeks show!

• Paid Members

I always make a point of not watching the 'next week' previews because it spoil things in some ways, i'd rather not know that a violent finish is coming but i'd be lying if i didnt say i aint excited by it :) It has be Hall unleashing the fury, Jones alluding that there's a guy in the house that reminds him of Anderson leads me to believe it's Hall based on his prelim fight. Someones getting fucked up.

This week's episode was good though, I disagreed with the general consensus after the fight though, i thought Gilbert was doing all right considering, i had Luke winning round 1 and he was winning round 2 but it didn't come across as the bad matchup everyone was saying and Gilbert did seem to be out-cardio'ing Luke towards the end (Luke looked like he was struggling before the knee), Gilbert even had a nice standup exchange just before the flying knee, he just made a poor decision on the shot and it cost him. Not the most action packed fight but it was a constant struggle for position.

Bubba and Josh are most definitely gonna be the dicks of the season. I dont see what telling a team mate he isn't ready does to help anybody involved?! there was no way Gilbert could get out of the fight and the team was aware that he was struggling confidence wise...to do that in front of the whole team too, it was a sneaky, low move and i hope Josh/Bubba get messed up along the way based purely on that.

Bubba's assessment that Gilbert was 'mentally' weak might be correct, but if you know that surely as a team mate you should attempt to fill the guy with confidence and support him? he took it upon himself to just destroy any confidence Gilbert had left, dick move.

I hope Kevin Casey rips the fuckers arm off...Casey seems like a real chilled out cat now though, back on the old Strikeforce shows he was all flash and confidence, i read that he was a 'humbled king' and it appears that way.

Good show though, well back into it already...the filming style is lovely shit.

I hope you guys did not watch the ambulance scene at the end too closely, you can see who is getting carried away next week.

Potential Spoiles for future episodes- SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Its a bluff, you can see a black man in the back of the ambulance. However, it is meant to be Kevin Casey from a future fight.

I did not know it was the same Kevin Casey who allegedly spat and drew a gun on Mark Laimon. He does seem a bit more chilled out.

Good show, this season is shaping up nicely, I think EBB covered everything with his post.

• Paid Members

I don't think Brock was protected at all, if anything his fast track to the belt made it almost impossible to protect him. He came in a unique time in UFC the heavyweight division was pretty poor at the top end, with the heavyweight champions not really drawing (not including Randy),all the current top guys was still making names for themselves lower down the card, Mir is a test for any top fighter in the world and a former champ, UFC knew that if Mir beat Brock he would be in the spotlight and crated a new contender either way for Randy, UFC kinda fell in the honey pot tho, with the the way the fight went and how outspoken both Mir and Brock was after the fight a rematch was always going to happen down the line, Herring was a test for anyone who only had 2 fights at the time, Randy was the champ who just beat a fighter much larger then himself. The rematch with Mir was perfect for the company, then Brock just went to the number 1 contender. Every fight made sense for the UFC, maybe Brock would have had Cain over Carwin, but Carwin was the interim champion and took Brock's nemesis to peaces to earn that right, UFC was probably hoping Mir won that fight to make a 3rd match between Brock and Mir but things dont always go to plan.

It would have been interesting if Brock was not x WWE champ and had to start at the bottom of the card, he might have bumped into fighters who could have really tested him while he was fit, guys like Kongo or even a Dos Santos.

Really enjoyed this weeks ep. Absolutely loving the new filming style they're doing, its doing a great job in giving the show a bit of a fresher look.

It reminds me a lot of the NHL 24/7 shows in the build up to the Stanley Cup final, and the NFL show "America's game", which is being shown on Sky Sports this week. Superb stuff. It makes the whole thing come across more as a sport than basically Big Brother with tattoos & mohawks.

Archived