The Ultimate Fighter 17: 'Team Jones vs Team Sonnen'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
i aint sure what they have planned for tonight, 2 hours of elimination fights is too much though, id prefer an hour highlight show then an hour of normal shit.

Tits Mcgee Ebb, in all my freaking out attempting to get tickets I completely forgot that this is on tonight!

The old ball and chain's on night shift tonight so I'm going to stay up and watch this and head into work late tomorrow.

I don't really know what to expect from this season now we've seen elements of a bro-mance developing between Jones and Sonnen. However, it's actually made me a little more intrigued how the season is going to play out.

Will be interested to hear Supremo's opinion on this opener after his thoughts (and mine) believing the UFC could be shooting themselves in the foot broadcasting the 2 fighters like this.

• Paid Members

I was cautiously looking forward to tonight, but now Ebb has just reminded me of the very likely possibility of shitty elimination fights. In my excitement I'd forgotten about that dog shit concept. Even if it's only an hour of elimination fights followed by a regular show, that hour will be enough to kill everything. It's fucking excruciating watching endless fights between blokes we don't know and if they're truly concerned with turning this show around this season then dropping that concept of fighting to get into the house should be at the top of the list.

• Paid Members

Tits McGee? Didn't she marry Paul Daniels?

I've decided after our discussing this early in the thread that Chael's gift of gob will probably shine mostly in the talking heads bits. It's well documented how serious he is in the training room so of course he won't be arsing about there. I think he'll have some good stuff lined up for the interview bits though which they will likely edit in for maximum effect.

I won't base much off tonight's episode though. This will be about evaluating the fighters for team selection so I'm not really expecting much in the way of hype between the coaches.

I agree though, 2 hours of elimination fights is overkill. We've said the same the last few seasons as well. This was another reason The Smashes felt so fresh in my opinion, because they didn't have the elimination fights and the first episode was instead more of an introduction to the fighters and coaches.

Still, really looking forward to this.

• Paid Members

i dont like the concept full stop, pick 16 guys good enough to be in the house and put them there...If they are gonna have elimination fights though, clipped form is fine, and allow people view them in full on the website afterwards.

• Paid Members

They showed a sneak peak on UFC Tonight of the bit where Jon and Chael meet up for the first time in the gym. Whilst it obviously wasn't anything like when Rampage and Rashad or Ken and Tito first met, it still felt like we could be in for some fun. Like others have said, at the very least, Chael will still be Chael in the talking head segments, so that alone will make this an improvement on the last couple of years.

Put me down as another one who doesn't want elimination fights at all. They're torturous to watch. As I've said for what feels like years and years; if you insist on doing those fights then just put them on the Internet or something. A constant stream of nobodies fighting each other for an extended period of time is just asking for people to change the channel, when the whole purpose of moving this show to a new night was to improve the ratings and save the show.

• Paid Members

I agree that it should be better than the last few seasons. It can't be any worse than Shane 'Personality Of A Potato' Carwin and his monotonous drone. I like Carwin but seriously, he was a boring lump of a man in that role.

As well as Chael, I'm very intrigued by how Jones comes across on this. Little has been said about that but it could be a big factor in shaping his future popularity. I think he's actually developed and shown more of his natural personality over the last year and I'm interested to see how he does in this setting. It could be one of them deals where it really changes people's perceptions and wins him more fans or even could push him into full on villain territory. I think he'll come across very well myself. I've warmed to him a lot recently.

• Paid Members

Supremo it does indeed look like your going to have to endure the elimination battles first.

The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 17: "Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen" is set to make its two-hour season premier TONIGHT (Jan. 22, 2013) at 8 p.m. ET on FX Channel, featuring UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones and unlikely division number one contender Chael Sonnen as head coaches.

And let's not forget about the cast of middleweight hopefuls trying to bag the 'six-figure contract."

Episode one, "Enter the Octagon" will follow the standard TUF format, meaning fighters will have to bang their way onto the show in a series of eliminations rounds. So, if you see someone you like on the recently-released roster (see it here), don't get too attached.

Half of them are going home by the end of the night.

Following the conclusion of TUF 17, Jones will put his 205-pound title on the line against Sonnen at the UFC 159 pay-per-view (PPV) event from the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ, on April 27, 2013.

Remember to tune in later tonight to join your fellow Maniacs in discussing TUF 17 as it unfolds. And, as always, be sure to check back as soon as episode one wraps for our complete results and recap of "Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen."

• Paid Members

Add me to the anti elimination fights club.

I get why they introduced them because the first few seasons you had guys leaving for stupid reasons and the 'fight to get in the house' rule lessened that problem. But it's clearly an awful way for a reality TV show to kick off, having wall to wall fights between guys the viewer has zero investment in yet.

Say they had elimination fights on The Smashes and Freakshow lost? He turned out to be my favourite TUFer since Luke Cummo way back on TUF 2. Yet he could have been eliminated on something flukey like a cut or injury. I wonder how many guys like that we've missed out on over the years who for whatever reason didn't get into the house. Guys who might not win the whole thing but might develop a fanbase and possibly go on to a decent UFC run.

I'd like to see them either sack them off or at least just show highlights and get on with the show. The Smashes not having them meant we got familiar with the guys quicker and the show hit the ground running as a result.

As most of you would have guessed, I'm personally more than happy to see all of the elimination fights. I do know that I'm not in the majority though, and that they would be better served sticking them online for the likes of me to watch.

• Paid Members

Hang on, wasn't TUF Brazil 2 with Nog and Werdum meant to be starting around now as well? Sure both seasons were supposed to start in January.

EDIT - ahh TUF Brazil 2 begins filming in January, that's where I've got mixed up. Starts airing around March best I can tell.

• Paid Members
Supremo it does indeed look like your going to have to endure the elimination battles first.

Episode one, "Enter the Octagon" will follow the standard TUF format, meaning fighters will have to bang their way onto the show in a series of eliminations rounds. So, if you see someone you like on the recently-released roster (see it here), don't get too attached.

Urgh. Like most season openers I'll probably try and watch the elimination fights, get bored about half way through, and then just start skipping to the finish of each fight. I'll be very interested to see the ratings pattern. I thoroughly expect people to start tuning out during those fights, before hopefully returning for the second hour. It's unbelievable they're sticking with the format given everything that's at stake.

Archived