The Ultimate Fighter 17: 'Team Jones vs Team Sonnen'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Urgh. Like most season openers I'll probably try and watch the elimination fights, get bored about half way through, and then just start skipping to the finish of each fight. I'll be very interested to see the ratings pattern. I thoroughly expect people to start tuning out during those fights, before hopefully returning for the second hour. It's unbelievable they're sticking with the format given everything that's at stake.

Agreed, two hours of fights between guys you have little or no reason to care about can get wearing.

I liked the format of having the fighters already in the house, that way most of them you can get a feel for who you like/dislike before they fight. The opening episode with this formula is usually interesting with the coaches picking their teams.

If it was me I would have tried another comeback show with Chael and Jones as coaches, but you cannot have it all.

Despite the bromance, I still see this doing 700-800k on PPV

• Paid Members

Well? What was everyone's verdict. I would say a mixed bag personally.

The new production style was certainly a big bonus and a few of the fights were pretty good. When both Sonnen and Jones were on screen they kept my attention too and this "coming up this season" certainly has made the season look interesting.

However, there was just too much fucking cheese. The guy kissing his son's on lips was creeping me the fuck out. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but christ, it was overkill and the sloppy noises he was making was making me want to gip.

From looking at the fighters, I'm guessing the guy who is scaring everyone will turn out to be Urijah Hall. The guy looked like a beast.

To be fair, I think we have an excellent crop of fighters this season.

One final thing, I really wanted to slap that guy (can't remember his name) who screamed out "YOU READY?!" then proceeded to double punch his opponent, whilst also screaming in his opponents face. Bell end.

• Paid Members

i complained prior about the qualifying fights but i take it back, i think they tweaked it enough where the first episode ended up being pretty good. The involvment of the families and the personal touches to everything made it much more watchable.

Fight-wise it appears that all the names i recognised going in got through ok, and if im gonna make an early show pick im going for Uriah Hall. Might be a bit of an obvious pick as he seemed to have the most airtime and praise from the coaches but i liked his style and he seemed like a real nice cat.

No obvious sign of the 'crazy guy' on episode one, Tor is the guy it's predicted to be but he seemed like a sound, quiet guy and his fight wasn't overly impressive still it's early days.

Episode 1 gets a thumbs up from me.

• Paid Members
i complained prior about the qualifying fights but i take it back, i think they tweaked it enough where the first episode ended up being pretty good. The involvment of the families and the personal touches to everything made it much more watchable.

Fight-wise it appears that all the names i recognised going in got through ok, and if im gonna make an early show pick im going for Uriah Hall. Might be a bit of an obvious pick as he seemed to have the most airtime and praise from the coaches but i liked his style and he seemed like a real nice cat.

No obvious sign of the 'crazy guy' on episode one, Tor is the guy it's predicted to be but he seemed like a sound, quiet guy and his fight wasn't overly impressive still it's early days.

Was there a "crazy guy" rumour?. I was under the impression it was more from a fighting perspective where the guy is destroying people.

My thoughts.

- The production and presentation has improved the show by a mile. Its repackaging that has worked very well, and helped the show become more watchable and seem more professional. The UFC have clearly put more time and thought into this season than any other in years.

- I think Clint is the standout as he was showcased in the most areas, great boxing and good grappling. He was a worthy number 1 pick for Jones.

- Both Jones and Chael are very likable, it works that they are so different.

- Frank Mir being on Jones's team shocked me a bit, as I thought he was big mates with Chael.

- As said, no one stood out as the scary guy, I would guess Tor, but maybe it could be Clint if he gets his boxing going. The talent overall seems the best in previous years, only the Mayhem vs Bisping season may challenge it.

- Despite still being a good half hour too long, this was a very good show. The best opening to a TUF in quite some time. It did enough to convince me that I should watch every week.

• Paid Members

Was there a "crazy guy" rumour?. I was under the impression it was more from a fighting perspective where the guy is destroying people.

oh, i aint sure. I was under the impression that there was a guy that no one wanted to be around full stop. Maybe i got ot wrong.

• Paid Members

Really liked the tweaks they made to the production. Cutting to Jones and Sonnen analysing the performances during the longer fights really made the whole thing more watchable, and the simple stuff like a bit of shake on the camera and the panning was a nice addition to the talking head bits too. Adding the family and friends and seeing how that played out adds a few layers too, which is always a good thing.

Really good start to the series. Josh Samman is going to be an absolute arse.

• Paid Members

eh? ^

anyways, FX Exec talks TUF, the first episode did great numbers...

Viewers of Tuesday's debut of "The Ultimate Fighter 17" didn't have to wait long to witness the differences promised in the latest addition of the UFC's long-running reality-competition series.

First, there was the visual element as producers completely overhauled the look of the show. Second, for the first time in series history, prospective cast members' friends and family were invited into the "TUF" training center for this season's schedule of elimination-round fights.

The combination of those two elements, and the presence of notable coaches Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen

• Paid Members

I stand corrected, on a couple of points. The elimination fights were dealt with a bit better I thought. It didn't feel like it dragged as long as past seasons. For me anyway.

Also, I wasn't keen on the idea of having family members there in the gym originally but it did add to the show. Must have been hard for the losers' families though. The Cummings/Fekete fight springs to mind when I say that. Fekete got decked in seconds and Cummings' wife was screaming her tits off in joy while Fekete's family sat there distraught. I know it's natural but can you imagine? Seeing a loved one get sparked would be hard enough without hearing someone a few feet away almost having an orgasm over it.

Few other points;

*I liked the new way they filmed it. It felt different, and anything that freshens up the feel of the show is good by me.

*I still think the guy who has everyone bricking it will probably turn out to be Tor. Uriah Hall looked great from what we saw and they were certainly hyping him up as a big prospect so maybe it is him but I don't know, there wasn't an invincibility aura really like I'd expect. The other guy still came back and put him in some trouble. Tor wasn't spectacular but he was dominant and got the finish. I get a feeling there will be better to come from him and I get a bit of a Fedor-quiet killer vibe off him. We'll see. It's defo one of these two though. None of the others had that feel about them for me.

*I loved what a sarcy cunt Chael was during the Bubba McDaniel fight. Something like;

Chael: Boy, your guy is really setting the world alight. I might as well scratch him off my list because you'll definitely be picking him won't you Jon? He's gone.

Jones: Maybe not. He's fair game.

Chael: How? He's your team mate. What, are you gonna say? 'Hey sorry I didn't wanna pick you'. That would be weird for the next 10 years.

*Oh and I know Dana and Jones mentioned the resemblances on the show but, Gilbert Smith, seriously...

Gilbert-Smith-MMA.jpg

...when did Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr fuck?

Archived