The Ultimate Fighter 17: 'Team Jones vs Team Sonnen'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sonnen came across really well this week with his pep talk with Hall.

I actually know one of the guys who gets sent to the hospital, the spoiler is on a previous page and I would advise anyone who wants to remain spoiler free, to not check out other forums. I do not know if its by Hall though, but I can probably guess it is.

Hall looked really good, diverse striking and good movement. Bit of polish and he could be a force in the UFC. I state "could" because it is hard to tell with the level of class he is facing on TUF.

Another great episode, it it keeps up this could be one of my all time favorite series of TUF.

• Paid Members

fucking hell that was harsh...the thing with TUF and the environment it's in means that it really shows how nasty a KO is. If that had happened in an arena full of fans, people would have been screaming and bouncing around like it was greatest thing ever, but when you see it in a closed environment it really is a scary experience, it hammers home how dangerous this sport is.

• Paid Members

Yeah a massive KO in the TUF gym just has a scarier feel to it for me. I think it's the silence after the initial reaction to the KO.

Anyone remember that Matt Riddle KO on TUF 7 during the elimination fights? The one where the guy got knocked out cold and was just lying there for ages letting out groans. I really thought he might be seriously, permanently hurt at the time.

I can't find a video or gif but this was the guy Riddle KO'd;

img_29577_matt-riddle-vs-dan-simmler-ko.jpg

Up there with the scariest knockouts I've ever seen in MMA, Boxing or K-1. And that's saying a lot.

Anyway, fuck spoiler tags, anyone entering this thread after the show has aired and expecting not to see spoilers gets what they deserve 1358_fuck_you.gif

hall-KO.gif

Sweet Christ! OK, I was wrong. This is the guy causing shitty pants at the house, not Tor. I think I just got caught up on Tor's Fedor-like demeanor. And the name fucking Tor.

Uriah Hall is scary. As Jim says though, it's too early for everyone to get too moist over him, just yet, because as Jim says we don't know enough about the competition on the show yet. Taking nowt away from the breathtaking KO of course but before the internet declares him 'the next Anderson Silva' or something, it doesn't mean he can do that kind of stuff when he gets in the proper UFC. Let's keep Philippe 'the next GSP/Anderson Silva' Nover in our memory.

Awesome KO though. Is this going to be an annual thing now every January? Barboza last year, Hall this year.

EDIT - OK, yeah it's February. I'm thick.

Sonnen came across really well this week with his pep talk with Hall.

He certainly did. I'm glad we're getting to see the other side of Sonnen on this show, rather than the clown who plays up to the cameras. If things continue as they are he should have a lot of support going into his bout with Jones.

• Paid Members

I've really enjoyed this season, so far. I'm sure that has a lot to do with not watching much TUF since the GSP/Koscheck season.

The KO was indeed worthy of the hype. I like the story they're telling of Uriah being this normal, likable and humble bloke that turns into a monster when he's competing/fighting.

• Paid Members
Anyone else's sky series link annoyingly change to Wednesday evening 10pm this week? Originally it was set for the 3am showing or whatever time it is.

Yes I noticed this too. Had to delete it and reset it.

On David's point on Sonnen, I agree completely. I usually start eye rolling as soon as he opens his mouth, but this series thus far, he's been actually quite likeable. It might be in the editing, but they are also making Jon Jones come across as Aloof and non caring.

• Paid Members

Enjoying this season, not as much as 'The Smashes' but it's definitely better so far than the Nelson/Carwin TUF. It's a shame the ratings haven't improved, I reckon this will be the last US series. They may continue in emerging countries where they're establishing themselves but unless they shake it up I can't see them carrying on in the US.

Anyone remember that Matt Riddle KO on TUF 7 during the elimination fights? The one where the guy got knocked out cold and was just lying there for ages letting out groans. I really thought he might be seriously, permanently hurt at the time.

This is exactly what I thought of after the KO. Scary stuff! Uriah's winning the mental battle already after that.

Little bit surprised at people's reactions to Chael's 'pep talk' to Uriah. I was watching it through my fingers it was that cringeworthy. Completely fabricated & the worst aspect of 'reality TV'. Like some awful X-Factor type shit.

• Paid Members
Enjoying this season, not as much as 'The Smashes' but it's definitely better so far than the Nelson/Carwin TUF. It's a shame the ratings haven't improved, I reckon this will be the last US series. They may continue in emerging countries where they're establishing themselves but unless they shake it up I can't see them carrying on in the US.

This is exactly what I thought of after the KO. Scary stuff! Uriah's winning the mental battle already after that.

Little bit surprised at people's reactions to Chael's 'pep talk' to Uriah. I was watching it through my fingers it was that cringeworthy. Completely fabricated & the worst aspect of 'reality TV'. Like some awful X-Factor type shit.

Whilst I see your point, people should realise this is what Chael ALWAYS does when he coaches. All you need to do is look on youtube at the numerous clips over the years to see how Sonnen trains kids/students.

It's nothing new and completely 100% genuine from his part. It wasn't just for cameras, it's simply how he motivates his fighters.

Edit: Eg

Also,

Interesting interview with Chael recently regarding Sonnen being friendly with Jones...quite an interesting response.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr9CxaldiRk

• Paid Members

I feel what Mike's saying, i can be very critical of reality based shows...the Fight Factory show was terrible for fabricated conversations/situations and i did let it hamper my enjoyment of it a little. You just gotta shut that stuff off when your watching from your brain, Mike clearly can't so he's always gonna be questioning the legitimacy of it all, but in doing that your kind of missing the point that the show still has to create 'storylines' within the show, if it wasnt edited in such a way the show would be a mish mash of random footage that doesnt make any sense.

I think the show has been great so far. It already turned me into a Urijah Hall fan for life.

Archived