Wrestling Pod Casts / Radio Interviews

uk_wrestle_fan_1981

So, to make up for you beautiful people for our lighter schedule of late, we have a double bill of SCG Radio for you this Christmas Eve...

Firstly, a show with me talking to Matt Holt about my book on Brian Pillman, 'Crazy Like A Fox - The Definitive Chronicle of Brian Pillman 20 Years Later', quizzing me on all things to do with the conception, construction and execution of the book, the major lessons learned along the way, key insights into why the book turned out the way it did, and delving into the mindset and mentality of Pillman, one of professional wrestling's most captivating stories. A fireside chat talking about the book Dave Meltzer has dubbed "the best biography of a wrestler ever done": https://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/download/vhghc6/SCG_Radio_126_-_Crazy_Like_A_Fox.mp3

And then of course, our annual Christmas Mailbag show! With you steering the ship, we discuss all manner of wrestling topics, such as the women's Royal Rumble, Vince bringing back the XFL, the Okada Vs. Omega series, dream matches that fell short or hit expectations, an inspired debate about the current indy wrestling boom, 2017's surprises and fuck-ups, Chris Jericho, Jinder Mahal, Shinsuke Nakamura, Joey Ryan, potential Mania matches and future top WWE stars and everything in between. Get out the mince pies and mulled wine, kick back, and have a Merry Christmas...https://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/download/364ya5/SCG_Radio_127_-_The_2017_Christmas_Show.mp3

• Paid Members
On 21/12/2017 at 12:54 AM, Supremo said:

Would anyone have an episode recommendation for someone who hasn't listened to Prichard's podcast?

I've never really listened to podcasts before- until the past couple of weeks. I've blitzed through so many episodes of Something To Wrestle. Just listen to any of them- I really enjoyed the WrestleMania IX just for Conrad and Bruce arguing over the decision to put the belt in Hogan and the reasoning behind it ('HE DIDN'T EVEN GO ON THE FUCKING TOUR TO EUROPE'). I was initially really put off by the 3 hour length, but to be honest they fly by. I am hesitant about the recent FIVE HOUR episodes though.

Seen a lot of people on here say they're a little put off by Conrad. I really enjoy him, I love it when he groans and winces when Bruce gets all crude. I don't think I'd enjoy the show as much if it wasn't for him.

I also really liked the Survivor Series 2002, WrestleMania 7 and Jake Roberts episodes. I've listened to about 8 so far, I'll probably get through the rest by the end of January at this rate.

• Paid Members

Listening to the WrestleMania IX episode, I was surprised to learn that Vince was considering bringing in Dustin Rhodes and putting him in with Hogan as the main event for WM IX. I can't picture that at all and I'd never heard that rumour before until Bruce confirmed it. 

@Supremo I'd also highly recommend the Brian Pillman episode, fascinating. The Mr Perfect episode is great as well, loved the stories of them shooting those vignettes before his debut. The Rick Rude one as well. Fuck, pretty much any of the ones covering big names from the 80s is a safe bet. 

The Cornette one is worth a go as well. As tiresome as I find Cornette these days he's such a weird character that it made him one of the more interesting subjects for the podcast. And the bit about George the Rat fucking creased me. 

• Paid Members
On 24/12/2017 at 5:21 PM, Liam O'Rourke said:

So, to make up for you beautiful people for our lighter schedule of late, we have a double bill of SCG Radio for you this Christmas Eve...

Firstly, a show with me talking to Matt Holt about my book on Brian Pillman, 'Crazy Like A Fox - The Definitive Chronicle of Brian Pillman 20 Years Later', quizzing me on all things to do with the conception, construction and execution of the book, the major lessons learned along the way, key insights into why the book turned out the way it did, and delving into the mindset and mentality of Pillman, one of professional wrestling's most captivating stories. A fireside chat talking about the book Dave Meltzer has dubbed "the best biography of a wrestler ever done": https://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/download/vhghc6/SCG_Radio_126_-_Crazy_Like_A_Fox.mp3

FYI dude, ordered two copies, one of which came today. Pillman was one of my best mate's favourites so that's his birthday present sorted, the other's mine, obvs. Going to get stuck in on my journey to WK, can't wait!

• Members

How excited I was for Brutus Beefcake on Steve Austin. Big letdown. Saving everything for the book of course. Not a lot to say for it. In contrast the Gallows and Anderson episodes were predictably side splitting. Gallows is very possibly the best wrestling storyteller there's ever been. That's me all caught up on Austin for now. Anyone tried Raven's? I feel like it could go very much one way or the other.

He was pushed in to adding more wrestling content, I think Jericho had a word with him about it. The episodes I've listened to have been good enough, he's an engaging fella and I dig some of his silly humour but I've enough to listen to already so I only catch the odd show.

On 12/21/2017 at 12:09 AM, Kamaras-Tash said:

I've always wanted to listen to more Pritchard podcasts but the length of them puts me off, a 5 hour hour podcast who the fuck has got time for that. Just listened to the SCG Pillman podcast on Liams new book, sounds like this is a must buy I wasnt sold on it originally as Pillman was never one of my faves although I was intrigued by the loose cannon stuff back then but it sounds fantastic.

Presumably the same people who somehow manage to read books, go to the cinema etc. I don't understand why people complain about podcasts being too long. You don't have to listen to them in one chunk. Why complain about too much content? It's an odd thing to bitch about. Case in point is the Lapsed Fan podcast - now, they really do talk a lot, but I loved their take on the Montreal thing. I thought I'd heard everything there was to know about it, but by talking about it for so long they hit upon how the fallout of it all affected the Hart family. I'd never really considered that before. What Vince did, rightly or wrongly, really fucked that family up. Like I say, interesting stuff. 

Edited by Rascall Flatts
spelling

1 hour ago, Rascall Flatts said:

Presumably the same people who somehow manage to read books, go to the cinema etc. I don't understand why people complain about podcasts being too long. You don't have to listen to them in one chunk. Why complain about too much content? It's an odd thing to bitch about. Case in point is the Lapsed Fan podcast - now, they really do talk a lot, but I loved their take on the Montreal thing. I thought I'd heard everything there was to know about it, but by talking about it for so long they hit upon how the fallout of it all affected the Hart family. I'd never really considered that before. What Vince did, rightly or wrongly, really fucked that family up. Like I say, interesting stuff. 

There's a problem when the content feels like content for contents sake, a few of the longer podcasts try to talk about every little detail regardless of them being interesting or not. One thing Conrad does recently is go on about every single win/loss on house shows as if they really matter "Has Edge fallen out of favour with the top brass? because he lost on two house shows in Buttfuck, Kentucky.".

The only thing that annoys me about "Something to Wrestle with..." is Conrad asking about money. Who gives a shit how much they get paid, really? Other than that, Priichard can be a dick when he slags off Melzer. It's a very 80s mindset: "He wasn't there! He doesn't have a clue!" Well, actually, Meltzer has devoted his whole life to wrestling journalism and it's not like he's talking out of his bumhole It's the only thing that annoys me about Bruce, who is otherwise a great story teller. 

Hi everyone, I have just started to listen to a couple of podcasts as I've never listened to any before and I'm kinda intrigued to listen to talk is rich but it seems iTunes start at number 28?? and I was wondering if ( A ) its worth listening to from the very first episode and ( B ) if it is how do I go about gaining access to that first episode / podcast 

Many thanks in advance for all your help 

Kindest regards

On 29/12/2017 at 5:40 PM, air_raid said:

FYI dude, ordered two copies, one of which came today. Pillman was one of my best mate's favourites so that's his birthday present sorted, the other's mine, obvs. Going to get stuck in on my journey to WK, can't wait!

Raid, you're the man, thank you B-) But I will continue to be jealous of you going to the Dome this year...