Jimmy Saville

jimufctna24

Opinion  

258 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
On that note is anyone even speaking out for Savile? I know he was a recluse and never married and given his age i'd imagine siblings would be dead so it would only really leave nieces and nephews and possibly the people who were high up in his charity organisations.

A nurse rang in to This Morning on Friday to say that the others would call him a dirty old man for his love of younger (but legal) ladies, but she never heard anyone mention any specific incidents regarding children or forcing himself on anyone. The two guests who claimed to be victims pretty much called her a liar.

• Paid Members

Man, this whole thing gets sleazier and sleazier, and not just in regard to Savile. I get that it's pretty likely he was a nonce, but this new necrophilia report just reeks of "quick, he's been outed, now let's pile as much shit on before we cut him loose, it'll take the focus off anyone else".

Not saying there's no chance at all that he committed necrophilia, but right now I'm just left with the nagging suspicion that it's the media pulling smokescreen duty to prevent even more fall-out concerning living personalities. After a year of all the shit concerning phone-hacking and now Hillsborough, I'm betting another massive scandal blown wide open is the last thing the British media establishment wants right now.

Carbomb, the way I see it is the Media has had this for years and now they're finally able to print everything on him. As I said earlier the Necro angle has been around for ages, infact this was what I assumed would come about him. I did a bit of work experience for a paper when I was younger, and they often spoke about him living near the morgue and what he would get up to. That seemed to be idle office chat, but certainly a number of people have often rumoured that to be going on.

Carbomb, the way I see it is the Media has had this for years and now they're finally able to print everything on him. As I said earlier the Necro angle has been around for ages, infact this was what I assumed would come about him. I did a bit of work experience for a paper when I was younger, and they often spoke about him living near the morgue and what he would get up to. That seemed to be idle office chat, but certainly a number of people have often rumoured that to be going on.

Jerry Sadowitz calls him a necrophile on that 1987 album clip that's being posted about so it's definitely nothing new.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewVb_juouBI

Not saying there's no chance at all that he committed necrophilia, but right now I'm just left with the nagging suspicion that it's the media pulling smokescreen duty to prevent even more fall-out concerning living personalities. After a year of all the shit concerning phone-hacking and now Hillsborough, I'm betting another massive scandal blown wide open is the last thing the British media establishment wants right now.

Exactly this. I think the assumed burden of proof for the media has fallen off a cliff over the last week or so, from the need for apparently very compelling evidence to establish him as a probable nonce at the outset, to the stage where any old allegation or rumour is presented as irrefutable fact, irrespective of the source. It's sensationalist reporting at its worst.

My take on it is that there certainly seems to be compelling evidence that he was probably an abuser, but that a great deal of what's currently being reported is most likely fantasist bollocks. Part of the motivation for that will be commercial; part of it will be based on agendas (witness the pronounced attacks on the BBC and the NHS). I also agree that there's a large degree of scapegoating in it, in that the more sensationalist the stories they bring out on Savile, the more they can paint him as a kind of folk devil or pantomime villain, an exceptional case which prevents the need to look any deeper and out living celebrities who still have power and influence to abuse.

• Paid Members

They are now saying that Dave Lee Travis touched a couple of young girls "inappropiately" too, according to the BBC.

Why hasn't Pete Townsend been mentioned in all this? I see he was on Andrew Marr on Sunday morning. Was this carry-on talked about?

Man, this whole thing gets sleazier and sleazier, and not just in regard to Savile. I get that it's pretty likely he was a nonce, but this new necrophilia report just reeks of "quick, he's been outed, now let's pile as much shit on before we cut him loose, it'll take the focus off anyone else".

Why exactly would the media as a whole want to protect living personalities? I understand why you might think one particular organisation might have an agenda to protect somebody and thus themselves but it doesnt make sense to think that the media as a whole would want to keep things quiet when they are all too happy to dish any dirt they possibly can. Newspapers would do anything to start shifting copies again, I dont see how hiding stories will do that.

He can't be that bad. From what I heard if he ever saw a wounded little girl he was quick to rub some Savilleon.

Really unfunny, so now the usual celeb joke rule is in effect.

Trust diamond_dust to ruin it for everyone.

Archived