Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

I was just thinking it looks like they've dropped Lawler from PPVs. Since they moved him over to SD it looks like he's been kicked to the curb. I find it hilarious that he's trying his best to be the heel commentator that everyone once loved but he is fucking shite these days.  But then again JBL is such an annoying twat too.

• Paid Members

Jim Cornette telling stories is fantastic. Jim Cornette talking about anything else is shite.

Nail on the head.

Also, why on earth would he tone it down? He has fuck all else going for him these days and some idiots keep paying to rant.

I do agree though, 80% of the time he's boring as fuck and full of shite.

Typical shoot interviews should be banned if that wrestler has already done one.

Only exception would be specific stuff, such as the time line stuff. More gimmick shoots would be better.

• Paid Members

I was just thinking it looks like they've dropped Lawler from PPVs. Since they moved him over to SD it looks like he's been kicked to the curb. I find it hilarious that he's trying his best to be the heel commentator that everyone once loved but he is fucking shite these days.  But then again JBL is such an annoying twat too.

Is there a horrid part of moving him to a taped show to avoid him having medical issues on a live show again?

Is anybody familiar with Jos LeDuc? I’ve known the name for years but it wasn’t until a few weeks ago that I stumbled across some of his interviews and started to see what he was all about. I was instantly captivated and have since been through everything I can find of his on the streaming sites. Only a limited amount of footage seems to have been uploaded, but from the promos, angles and matches, it’s more than enough for me to say with certainty that he was pretty great!

For anyone not familiar with him, he was a wild and rugged Canadian lumberjack strongman who exuded an incredible aura of legitimacy, menace and unpredictability. He had a great look with those eyes giving psychotic facial expressions to rival Waylon Mercy. He was entirely convincing on the mic with fantastic promos, and his ring work befitted the character perfectly. The strongman feats he regularly done for TV skits didn’t hurt in establishing his credentials and aura either, and in “The Canadian Freight Train” he also had one of the best and apt monikers around. And yet for all that scariness, it appears that he had a few decent babyface runs which he managed to pull off without watering down the character too much.

It’s a shame he doesn’t seem to be very relevant today because I’d say he’s essential viewing for any fans of wild and unhinged brawling characters. He’ll probably be best remembered for slicing himself up with an axe on live morning TV and that act would encapsulate his character pretty well, but there was obviously so much more to him than the controversial shock stuff.

They just don’t make them like that any more, and I need to see loads more of him. You should check him out if you can – just don’t call him crazy....

• Moderators

Yes! From what I've seen I've really enjoyed. In fact it was him who threw Lawler onto a table like a piece of paper breaking Lawler's leg leading to an awesome moment when he came back. And, of course, taking the "blood oat (sic)" that you mentioned.

Yes! From what I've seen I've really enjoyed. In fact it was him who threw Lawler onto a table like a piece of paper breaking Lawler's leg leading to an awesome moment when he came back. And, of course, taking the "blood oat (sic)" that you mentioned.

An absolutely spectacular visual and looked hurty as hell. And the best part of two decades before ECW invented all that sorta stuff! 

His feuds with Lawler seem to be his most high profile in Memphis and is what I'm most keen to see more of, but I've got a suspicion that not a lot of it is out there on tape. That's the frustrating thing with some Territories which i'm finding out with Smoky Mountain in particular at the moment as I try to go through it from week to week. The TV shows are great for what they are, but ultimately the weekly TV was made for the locals. Their main purpose was to promote the arena/coliseum shows where the great in-ring stuff happens, and not much of that tended to be shown on TV. It's how it had to be and obviously it was never made for fans halfway across the world watching it retrospectively, but you can't help but think of the insane amount of great stuff that's no doubt been lost to time despite being taped (or at least being on shows where some taping was going on).

I used to always have that disappointment with '90s/early '00s lucha libre when maybe 2 or 3 matches aired from 10-11 taped per week, but looking back to pre-90s US regional promotions, I imagine the the same will apply. Fortunately in LeDuc's case, at least his promos will survive!

Edited by Reznor

• Moderators

You're probably best asking over on ProWrestlingOnly about stuff like that as regards what's out there. Some people on there seemingly know every bit of wrestling which is available on tape. I know I've found out there was more available than I expected.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

http://kernelmag.dailydot.com/is a longform writing site which does themed "issues" each week. They've just done one on wrestling with all sorts of interesting offbeat stuff including a piece on ICW business (in which I'm quoted), the copyright issues with Botchamania, and a look back at the days of the Rajah site.

• Paid Members

I know I'm very late to the party, but I think that Wrestlemania was the first time I'd ever heard Sacha Banks' theme song as I only catch snippets of shows here and there these days. 

Wow! That's a pretty belting tune to be fair.