Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

Was thinking yesterday, apropos of nothing - I wonder how much all of our perspectives on wrestling will change when Dave Meltzer is no longer doing his thing. I don't see a natural replacement with the dedication, work ethic, and ability to get to the bottom of a situation like Big Dave has.

I wonder just because the knowledge of the current landscape, future plans, etc, is usually traceable back to Meltzer. Without that, I wonder how we'll view things. More excitement because we won't "know" what's going to happen so much? Bit more in the dark with less gossip going around, do we become less cynical?

Maybe all much of a muchness, as a lot of our perspectives might be common sense mixed in with viewing experiences over the years, but just wonder if there will be a noticable shift. Food for thought, at least.

• Moderators

I imagine the news we get is definitely going to be more fractured because Meltzer has built relationships with his sources over a long time, and built a reputation that makes people willing to trust and confide in him. The WO name carries, weight but not as much as his name, specifically.

Also, I guess it'll be harder to know what news is legit and what's bullshit once he's gone.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

I'm sure I watched an interview with Meltz where he said he plans/reckons he can keep on going for another 20 years, which is pretty bloody outstanding

• Paid Members

It's impressive that Meltzer still has an inside track after thirty years. Many sources must have come and gone but he either makes new ones or his sources are still around somehow. Might be the case that his sources die off before he does.

• Paid Members

It's impressive that Meltzer still has an inside track after thirty years. Many sources must have come and gone but he either makes new ones or his sources are still around somehow. Might be the case that his sources die off before he does.

Given the type of roster WWE currently has, full of workrate and former Indy guys who've obviously grew up as fans, I would imagine he has more sources than ever.

• Paid Members

Given the type of roster WWE currently has, full of workrate and former Indy guys who've obviously grew up as fans, I would imagine he has more sources than ever.

Yeah, you might be right. Imagine half of them were WO subscribers now I think about it.

That July 9th, 2001 episode of Raw compared to a typical episode of Raw today...bloody hell. A major double-cross in the first segment; a fairly surprising tag title switch in the second match; third, an Intercontinental title bout; Austin, Angle and Vince somehow getting through those skits without laughing; "Yippie-kay-yay, Mother Hubbard!"; the first-ever WCW v WWF match where Angle takes on Booker T for the WCW Title; the debut/return of Rob Van Dam and Tommy Dreamer to Raw; that ECW shocker with Jim Ross trying his damndest to explain what the hell is going on; Vince and Shane backstage throwing aside the entire company-wide storyline, just like that, to work together to finish ECW before they even get started; WWF teaming with WCW for the first time ever against ECW in the main event...and, ahem, *that* revelation at the end. Oh well. There's no way the fans in attendance were going to be sitting on their hands during that show.

Edited by Mr.Showtime

• Paid Members

Meltzer's influence is not what it was. Especially in the twitter world, where news become a thing before Meltzer even reports on it. He's still the top man, but its not like it was a decade ago when his opinion was THE opinion. ROH's early DVD business was pretty much built on Meltzer's reviews of their shows. A world without Dave Meltzer doesn't sound as strange as it would have been a ten years ago. The business is filled with stooges and people who collect their own action figures who want to put themselves over. There are people on twitter with sources in the WWE and NXT these days.

• Paid Members

It's probably keller, no? I mean, he's got to be growing in stature with Austin having him on all the time. I'd be keen to know what the twos subscription numbers are like.

I too can see Bix doing more and more as time passes. Seems to be quality.

• Paid Members

Meltzer is 57 this year, Keller's going to be 45. So while Keller could probably take over for a while, Meltzer needs to find somebody younger for the long term. Bix is a good shout, although I'm not I want to read about Hogan & Gawker every week :)

Can't see a thread for the New Japan Wrestle Kingdom but the commentary, good god. Matt Striker winds me up more than anybody in Wrestling I reckon, what a smarmy, try hard twat he really is. Why does he acknowledge the fact that he gets a bad rap in certain quarters online, why do it, just call the action in the ring and stop trying so damn hard. I actually switched to Japanese commentary for the second half of the show. Annoying little fucker.