Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Disagree, one of my mates almost killed my brother doing a reverse rana when we were kids. He didn't do the reverse bit on purpose it was just a poorly executed version of the regular move, but it happened.

I saw a reverse frankensteiner on Lucha Underground the otherday and it looked sensational. If it looks cool, I have no problem with logic.

What's gone wrong in your lives that you're looking for realism in professional wrestling? :)

Agree with both of these. My gripe with the steel cage door opening is that it goes against the whole idea of having a steel cage match in the first place. You have both guys spend 10/15 minutes trying to climb over the top and then they suddenly decide to just open the door. Never understood it.

The whip always looks duff when the whipper sends the opponent off then stands where he is while the opponent bounces off the ropes (perfectly on his side despite supposedly being "out of control") and runs ten feet back to him just to get hit. Much better when the whipper follows the guy for a few steps as if trying to catch him off guard.

Like most things like this, it's not what you do but how you do it.

Edited by CavemanLynn

My gripe with the steel cage door opening is that it goes against the whole idea of having a steel cage match in the first place. You have both guys spend 10/15 minutes trying to climb over the top and then they suddenly decide to just open the door. Never understood it.

Cage match rules are pretty stupid and inconsistent at the best of times though. Winning by running away and escaping goes against the whole concept and reason for throwing two guys in cage. It's essentially a cowardly, weaselly act, only apt for heels. They should always have the option of pins/submissions imo and that's what the babyfaces should be going for.

The slingshot catapult's such a classic move, an absolute staple of american wrestling that should never be consigned to history. The Mexican variant minus the turnbuckle bump with the recipient (most notably Fuerza Guerrera) just flying halfway across the ring, is great also.

• Paid Members

I always loved the psychology of the Bret vs Owen cage match. Probably why it was given 5 stars, even though Meltzer hates the escape rule with a passion. From the opening bell both of them wanted out of the cage, because they wanted to win. It wasnt where they were beating each other for a good 20 minutes and then went "get me out of this cage". They were diving across the ring to get out the door. I remember watching that when I was 9 with my Dad and brother and never forgetting the reaction we had. It was so different and made so much sense that they wanted out of the door as soon as possible.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Like with film, fiction and so on, it's not so much about how "realistic" each element is, but whether the universe of the fiction is consistent.   Irish whips always work, so they are consistent.  A DDT hurts the one guy more than the other, in the same way every time.

That's why the cage thing is so screwy - often cage matches make no sense even within the logic of wrestling!  

Cage match rules are pretty stupid and inconsistent at the best of times though. Winning by running away and escaping goes against the whole concept and reason for throwing two guys in cage. It's essentially a cowardly, weaselly act, only apt for heels. They should always have the option of pins/submissions imo and that's what the babyfaces should be going for.

That's true, but there's also the "two men enter, one man leaves" thing. In a grudge match, the babyface should want to decimate his hated enemy and leave the cage victorious, rather than trying to outclimb him.

I saw a reverse frankensteiner on Lucha Underground the otherday and it looked sensational. If it looks cool, I have no problem with logic.

What's gone wrong in your lives that you're looking for realism in professional wrestling? :)

Agree with both of these. My gripe with the steel cage door opening is that it goes against the whole idea of having a steel cage match in the first place. You have both guys spend 10/15 minutes trying to climb over the top and then they suddenly decide to just open the door. Never understood it.

Surely the the fact that one of the competitors (the quickest one) wouldn't just leg it out over the top should worry you more?