Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I was just going through the On Topic Gold section, and went through the 'Chris Benoit Dead' thread again. Still remember it very clearly 7 years later. Probably the most surreal new story that just kept on changing from bad to worse that I have ever read. Some of the tributes in the thread were very moving. It's just an unbelievable thread.

• Paid Members
Why wouldn't it be real?

Just seems an odd choice for an 'Only Connect' puzzle in what I assume is The Guardian or another broadsheet?

Not so much because it's wrestling, more because they've gone with 'Tough Enough' and 'NXT'? Neither of which are one word. I'm not exactly familiar with the Only Connect format (although I should be, Vicky Coren is gorgeous) so perhaps you can have brand names/names/phrases etc.

EDIT: Rewatching the NXT Arrival show on the network, and only just realised they're using the new WWE logo on the turnbuckles. I really like it. That logo's been needing an update for a decade.

It's from the Radio Times. They're a little looser on the rules so you sometimes get phrases rather than words.

• Paid Members
Bubba/Bulforforly Ray has been in TNA longer than he was in either ECW or WWF/E. In fact, he's nearly been there as long as both those runs put together.

I've noticed that Angle will hit the same "milestone" this year. I still think of Kurt as a WWE guy just trying TNA out. Weird how the brain works.

These things always boggle my mind. For some reason, last night I ended up pondering that Santino Marella will have been on TV for seven years next month, longer than, (for some reason, the example that popped into my head) Barry Darsow was with the company, as Smash & Repo Man combined.

• Paid Members

Vince was a notable newcomers in the Forbes list of Billionaires of 2014. Its obviously been a good year for him.

Vince McMahon

Net worth: $1.2 billion

Source of wealth: WWE

A third generation wrestling promoter, McMahon grew up in a trailer park in North Carolina and joined his father's small wrestling company in 1972. Purchased the business 10 years later, then transformed the World Wrestling Federation from a regional operation into an international phenomenon. WWE went public in 1999 and today its programs are broadcast in nearly 150 countries and more than 30 languages.

Maybe he can buy Newcastle now? *insert Alan Pardew joke*

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

You know when people moan about how there's no dream matches left? I really think that's because people have no imagination when it comes to dream matches and they always go for similar guys rather than opposites. Case in point, if it were possible I'd much rather see Punk wrestle Hogan than Austin. I think Rock vs Rey would have been a cracker. Nash vs Bryan would be more interesting than Bryan vs Angle. I think when people talk about dream matches there's a tendency to apply too much of an ewr, the best matches are similar guys facing each other kind of mentality. Undertaker vs Sting is all well and good but wouldn't Screaming Norman have been a fun opponent for The Phenom? Wouldn't Sting probably have a great match with Mark Henry?

Dream match is different from good match. Smiley v Taker might have had a "good" match, but no bugger would have bought a ticket to see it.

Surely a dream match is something that loads of fans would want to see? Otherwise, you can't really criticise other people for not thinking of Taker versus Big Wiggle as a dream match. It's just your dream match.

On the subject of dream pairings, I wonder if we'll ever see the Shield interact with the nWo in any way.

If they haven't split up by then seeing the Shield bump into Hall, Nash and X-Pac backstage at Mania would be great. Especially if one or all of the Wolfpac have gone in the HOF the night before. A tense stand off or even a bit of a pull apart after Ambrose mockingly does the Hall fingers would make me piss jizz.

You know when people moan about how there's no dream matches left? I really think that's because people have no imagination when it comes to dream matches

Undertaker vs Sting is all well and good but wouldn't Screaming Norman have been a fun opponent for The Phenom?

That's nothing to do with a lack of imagination. There's a pretty good reason why nobody is spending their spare time thinking about stuff like this.