Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

X-Pac has a decent interview up on the MLW.com site. He tells a story where (as a practical joke) Rick Steiner walked into the dressing room with a gun (filled with blanks) and shot him. X-Pac said in the split seconds between the gun pointing at him and the impact he lay there thinking he'd been shot with real bullets. They talk about Dynamite Kid, but those Steiners are fucking headcases. Imagine that?

The other week I watched a clip of Lance Storm give his thoughts on Scotty. He starts by telling a shocking story of some form of leaving ritual prank the Brothers Steiner played on the trainer that was leaving WCW. Lance said the guy ended up covered in duct tape and with a Sharpie pen in the last place you want a Sharpie pen.

• Paid Members

Two of the worst/funniest stories I've heard was that in the early 90s the Steiners hated Diamond Dallas Page, so Scott would hold DDP down on a table and Rick would stick a pencil up his arse. Another one was that Oscar from Men on a Mission (who nobody liked) told Rick that he was sitting in his chair so the Steiners took him in the toilet and duct taped him upside down so his face was in the urinal and the wrestlers pissed on him for the rest of the night.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
Any good ones from the past? Could just see Tony Helsinki vs Josef Zagreb at Croydon.

Well, if you told me I was going to see a three way between Katarina Berlin, Jamie Washington and Angel Ottawa, I'd assume they'd made a sequel to Girl Fever.

And of course The Liverpool Lads would have been Robbie London & Ian London.

I really, really enjoy Dean Ambrose's character. But, I can't help but think that he's gone too far with the quirky edges of his character. Not for me, personally, but I can imagine the old farts sitting around deciding who to anoint next and thinking 'yeah, that Ambrose is good but a bit too wacky for the big time...'.

Also, Wiki says he's 27. I know the internet, in particular Wikipedia, is known for getting ages/birthdays wrong but jesus, that seems MILES out. He looks way, way....WAY older than that.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

I really, really enjoy Dean Ambrose's character. But, I can't help but think that he's gone too far with the quirky edges of his character. Not for me, personally, but I can imagine the old farts sitting around deciding who to anoint next and thinking 'yeah, that Ambrose is good but a bit too wacky for the big time...'.

Also, Wiki says he's 27. I know the internet, in particular Wikipedia, is known for getting ages/birthdays wrong but jesus, that seems MILES out. He looks way, way....WAY older than that.

I could do without the particularly wacky selling as well, though I know some people really dig it.

I wouldn't have had him pegged at much older than 30. He looks alright for his age, but he will have to make a decision on his hairline sooner rather than later. That big sweaty lock that was stuck to his fod during the 'John Cena problem' promo nearly put me off my dinner.

He's got pretty much everything though. There's no reason he can't be a big main event star in the realtively near future, and I'd say he has more cross over potential than anyone they've had for a long time. In fact I struggle to think of anyone I'd expect to be more comfortable on a talk show since The Rock, which is obviously praise indeed. Punk is probably the best guy they have for that now. Whenever I see the Miz on Sky Sports News or whatever I get the impression he has to have a little panicky cry to himself once he's off camera.

I don't necessarily think he has 'crossover' potential, as he's very pro-wrestler in his delivery and projection, but I think he could be a great ambassador for the industry. He is very at ease in front of a camera, and very comfortable in his own skin. He's very 'Punk' in that way.

For me BOTH Ambrose and Reigns are future stars. There hasn't been anyone who's come along that has that kind of star quality in years. Ambrose is glorious and is one of those guys that adds little touches - the way he pounded the mat in frustration after getting dropped by Kofi Kingston or the maniacal grin that lit up his face when he realised Ryback was no-selling his chops - just spontaneous little things that too few blokes do. I don't think the 'wackiness' is much of problem because 1. he's not that wacky. 2. he's bloody good at it. Watching him being presented as a near equal to the Undertaker on smackdown warmed my heart. I just love the fucker. He's all my favourite bits about wrestling in one droopy, dreamy package. Future world champ at least.

Reigns looks godlike. They should keep him in black. When he was wearing a pair of little pants on FCW he didn't really stand out as much. I love that Superfly gone sinister chop/thrust thing he does. He's a good talker too even though his cool, calm style isn't best suited for the Shield promos. I'm looking forward to a feud with Sheamus.

Watching him being presented as a near equal to the Undertaker on smackdown warmed my heart. I just love the fucker. He's all my favourite bits about wrestling in one droopy, dreamy package. Future world champ at least.

I loved seeing him in there with Taker too, considering that in the last few years Undertaker has been reserved for the absolute established stars of WWE it's a real testament not only to Ambrose but the cracking job WWE have done with The Shield. I hope Smackdown was the start of a run towards a World title for Ambrose, as much as I like Ziggler, I don't see any great feuds coming out of his reign so transitioning the belt on to Orton or Sheamus for an Ambrose win the in the summer would do me.

Reigns should be the slow burner, when he was walking through the crowd at Wrestlemania he outshined the three former World champs on the opposing team in terms of aurau and making me take notice.

Edited by thesimonbegz

What's all this fuss about Bruno Sammartino?

It's the worst case of hype in wrestling since a large number of the British wrestlers and trainees giving limitless praise to Johnny Saint.