Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Been clearing out the spare room today and unexpectedly stumbled upon my old Tagged Classic DVD of Survivor Series 1989. Hadn't seen the show since I was a kid but I remembered loving it back then so stuck it on for old time's sake.

Anyway, top to bottom it's really good but I loved the shit out of the Roddy's Rowdies vs Rude's Brood match in particular. Just a really enjoyable match. Even the Bushwhackers couldn't drag it down. Once it came down to Piper and Snuka vs Rude and Perfect it got even better. Top stuff from Perfect and Superfly on the closing stretch as well.

As a kid it was the match on the show I was least arsed with. On this viewing I thought it stole the show.

Edit - the pre-match Mean Gene interview with the Warrior, Anvil and Rockers team is fucking mental as well. All four completely off their tits on god knows what cocktail of drugs. There wasn't one of them with a pupil in their eyes.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

particularly the first Rock/Cena match. It captured the weird Adulthood vs Childhood Catcher in the Rye vibe that ran through that feud,

Off topic but I've only ever read four proper books, of mice and men, catcher in the rye, clockwork orange and the bell jar.

The only one I didn't enjoy was catcher. Just didn't do anything for me at all.

Bell jar was amazing fyi, just phenomenal, and orange was marvellous.

Oh god I hope not! He gets the ladies screaming with his current look, which in my book always gets you a spot on the card. Works perfect with his gimmick as well. Really couldn't picture him with short hair. 

I remember feeling very strongly about it when Test done that. Venis got away with it because he was just settling into old hand role anyway but Test just traded looking cool for looking like a generic meathead. 

That pic is awful though. 

• Paid Members

Saw Warrior's WCW debut in full last night on a July '98 episode of Nitro, i expected it to be horrendous but it was actually pretty good. He waffled on and it didn't make much sense in terms of direction (it was the Warrior after all) but I liked it, he even got a couple of laughs out of me (especially the "who are you? his barber?" quip at The Disciple).

Wrestling sounded like Puddle Of Mudd, we all played Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3 and Sky One was full of dark fantasy heroines.

No we all didn't, and I certainly didn't watch them. I was playing Championship Manager and watching Teachers. I hated Puddle of Mudd too.
A far superior cultural consumption. From 10-13 or so that was it for us, though!

And yeah the THPS soundtracks were vastly superior - apart from that annoying one about washing your ass - I was just chucking it in to the mix at the time.

Or else you get funkayyy! Love some Del The Funkee Homosapien, though I weren't keen on that either.

• Paid Members

The Final Four Match with Taker/Vader/Bret/Austin is the fucking business isn't it. WWF never did those multi-man chaotic brawls quite like that. Vader looks a mess in it with his eye all over the shop, he seems to forget wrestling is fake and goes ape shit with mental strikes. His best WWF match by far. What a match.

The Final Four Match with Taker/Vader/Bret/Austin is the fucking business isn't it. WWF never did those multi-man chaotic brawls quite like that. Vader looks a mess in it with his eye all over the shop, he seems to forget wrestling is fake and goes ape shit with mental strikes. His best WWF match by far. What a match.

Lister was there, right? Absolute killer match, agreed. All things considered, they did an awesome job with title scene in that period.

I love this so much, especially with the mad but logical 'over the top rope = elimination' stip.

Do we think this was Vader's finest hour in a WWF ring? I wasn't a fan of the Summerslam 96 main event and him Vaderbombing Moonsoon was pretty uncomfortable to watch. His match with 'Taker at Canadian Stampede is the only other thing I remember enjoying from that run, although I should mention I've never seen the 96 Rumble when he debuted...

Watched it tonight after listening to the latest New Gen podcast! Vader's best WWE outing without question for me. The pre match 'Taker promo never fails to destroy me. "I've got my edge back... not all of it, but I'm getting there!".

Edited by Gay as FOOK