Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

On a different note, I've just had an email from WWE reminding/asking me to restart my Network subscription in time for TLC.

It has Roman as the main image but I thought it was funny that in small text it just has to re-iterate that it's Roman Reigns.

It's a very odd thing to notice now, considering how long they've been doing that. It started about six or seven years ago, possibly longer. The first one I remember was a No Way Out poster that had Vladimir Kozlov's name on it. I don't know why they do it, they usually (always?) remove the name for the DVD cover.

summerslam.jpg

Hell_in_a_Cell_(2010).jpg

punkdevil.jpg

It might just be so that if the poster catches someone's eye who doesn't watch wrestling, it'll put a wrestler's name in their heads.

I wonder if it crossed wwe decision makers mind to put the wwe title on Sheamus due to the amount of attention is being put on Ireland with all the Conor McGregor stuff, try and get a slice of that pie so to speak.

I doubt it but wwe are attention whore's and like to get in before someone else does so to speak.

I wonder if it crossed wwe decision makers mind to put the wwe title on Sheamus due to the amount of attention is being put on Ireland with all the Conor McGregor stuff, try and get a slice of that pie so to speak.

I doubt it but wwe are attention whore's and like to get in before someone else does so to speak.

You would think that Sheamus is going to end up getting another push the middle of next year with him being in TMNT 2.

• Paid Members

Hes a top UFC fighter

I expected his push to be mid next year too, hopefully he isnt on top til then

WWE aren't going to push someone because they are the same nationality as some UFC bloke.
I dunno, they've been pushing Americans for years.

Hes a top UFC fighter

WWE aren't going to push someone because they are the same nationality as some UFC bloke.

What makes you so sure?  WWE are desperate to cash-in on any pop culture trend, and at the moment Conor McGregor is arguably MMA's biggest draw - a large part of his persona is that he's Irish, and I'd be surprised if Sheamus' current push isn't slightly related to McGregor's popularity.

Edited by Slapnut

• Paid Members

Hes a top UFC fighter

What makes you so sure?  WWE are desperate to cash-in on any pop culture trend, and at the moment Conor McGregor is arguably MMA's biggest draw - a large part of his persona is that he's Irish, and I'd be surprised if Sheamus' current push isn't slightly related to McGregor's popularity.

Not to mention McGregor is now a legit celebrity and most likely a near-household name in Ireland. He's been on Conan O'Brien's show in the US, and he's been on the Late Late Show in Ireland. From a personal perspective, I've met a LOT of Irish people who've never watched one second of MMA who are either now fans of the guy, or at least know about him. And he's probably the only MMA fighter in history whose weigh-in has outsold actual fight events.

This isn't to say that that's why WWE have put the belt on Sheamus, of course. They've not demonstrated such foresight in some time. Nevertheless, with possibly the biggest-selling UFC event since UFC100 coming up in the next week, it wouldn't be a stupid thing to have an Irishman holding the belt.

• Paid Members

In fairness to Slapnut, I've heard the likes of Meltzer say that one of the many reasons they decided to do the hilariously fumbled Divas Revolution is due to the sudden rise of Ronda Rousey as a legit mainstream personality. While I don't expect the same with Sheamus/McGregor, seeing as they've continually overpush Sheamus for years, it isn't impossible that they're looking at what's working and jumping on anything.

I think it's more a case of Rousey proving women can draw while the performance centre has produced female stars that the audience cares about. It works in NXT because in that environment wrestlers are built up and fans are given a reason to care, however on the main show fans are lazily told to care about something with no actual reason for doing so

• Paid Members

I think it's more a case of Rousey proving women can draw while the performance centre has produced female stars that the audience cares about. It works in NXT because in that environment wrestlers are built up and fans are given a reason to care, however on the main show fans are lazily told to care about something with no actual reason for doing so

In fairness, that's a perfectly reaosnable connection to make. Realising that you are undervaluing your female talent because women are drawing in a similar field makes sense. I'm not sure pushing an Irishman because one of the stars of UFC happens to be Irish makes any sense at all. I'd not be surprised if WWE thought it though. Making sense isn't what they're about.

Sheamus winning the title got fuck all mention in the media here in Ireland bar the odd tiny side column in a shitty tabloid, doubt it got any attention in the states at all.

McGregor and the UFC are operating on a whole different mainstream level to Sheamus and WWE these days.

Edited by DCW