Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Awards Moderator

I'd have to dispute the God point in that article, Backlash 2006 is a definitive counter argument.

Where did this 'make Roman look strong' thing come from? It's been all over WWE Memes the last few times I've been there. Was it the CM Punk podcast? If so, is this part of why the you-know-whats are turning on Reigns? Is it all CM Punk's fault really?

• Paid Members

Faarooq was cutting some excellent promos in 1997. Especially early 97. He's a proper motor mouth. Amazing they didnt see anything big in him at the time. If someone came alone with his verbal skills in 2015, they'd be pushed to the moon. Just watching an episode of Raw and Ron Simmons is just killing it talking about Ahmed Johnson being an Uncle Tom. He'd have been a good bet for that Final Four match instead of Vader. He was doing better in the form guide looking at these shows. He seemed to only ever feud with Ahmed Johnson, though. Even when he feuded with the Undertaker, Ahmed Johnson wasnt far behind. In fact the Faarooq vs Taker feud was mostly about Paul Bearer teasing Kane's debut, and not Simmons.

RAW in 1997 is really good I'm finding. It holds up really well. Some of it is just hilarious to watch, because of the lack of self awareness. Its the same watching WCW as well. The LOD actually said this "unlike Randy Savage and Hulk Hogan, we dont live on our past accomplishments." They said this before a match with the Godwinns, where they really looked horrid. The LOD were totally on their last legs here. It was only a month later the WWF realised it and had the Outlaws totally destroy them.

Speaking of which. I tell you what, Road Dogg absolutely took his opportunity. Its amazing seeing him just jobbed through 1997, looking like a crap comedy jobber and a week after he was put with Billy Gunn it was like he said "fuck it". He went from Jesse Jammes the shitty singer to the Road Dogg we knew and loved instantly. He's just amazing on the microphone. Laughing away at all their heelish antics. Oddly on their debut on Raw he pointed at JR and said "you're a freak", he pointed at Vince and said "you're a freak" and then pointed at Lawler and said "and you're a faggot". Totally dont know why he said it! It was so out of the blue. He then said "I will work for you, though" which amused Lawler greatly.

I cant believe some of the stuff I'm seeing. It didnt seem to bad at the time, because naivity of youth and getting caught up in the changes of the WWF, but I've seen Goldust with a billiard ball in his mouth, Shawn Michaels in his boxer shorts slapping his cock and balls in the ring, Jerry Lawler say the words "flaming fag" and "queer", Brian Pillman doing those videos with Terri Runnels which weren't even Carry On Camping levels of wink-wink. They were so fucking vile, its amazing they got away with it. There was all kinds of racist stuff wrote on the walls of the Nations locker room. At least in 1998, the tranny stuff had a bit of a smile to it. This is just pure vulgar. They really went for it in 1997.

Another thing, Ken Shamrock called Rick Rude an "old man", to which Rude grinned through the cheers at the comment. You could tell it got to him, because those wrestlers really dont like their age brought into it. Michaels got the mic, and said "you'll be lucky if this old man doesn't knock you on your ass." It was the first thing Michaels said in retaliation to Shamrock's promo, so Shawn must have known Rick didn't like that one. Its funny how Rude was brought into the WWF actually. He came in as "he's the hardest man ever, if you pay him some money he'll sort your problems out for you." They really played up his super hard man act in real life, which wasn't how he was portrayed at all in his late 80s run in the WWF.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

ECW did the same for Rude, with top heel and reigning heavyweight champ Shane Douglas having to act shit-scared of Ravishing Rick, despite him being retired for years at the time, not all that long before Rude resurfaced in the WWF. Which in turn was not all that long before he managed to appear on telly for ECW, the WWF and WCW all within a couple of days of each other.

• Paid Members

Following on from Ian's comments on 1997, I'm working my way through 96 on the network at the moment and some of the homophobic snipes surrounding Goldust's run are quite shocking. Its not like its the 1970's, we're talking about the mid 90's here. Not sure what the WWF was thinking really.

A lad with a massive 'Gaydust' sign at 1996's Rumble and no-one doing anything about it and another 'faggot' chant during the same show. A few weeks later he tells Piper he wants to "Blow on his Bagpipe", snogging Ahmed Johnson when he was knocked out and trying to ravish Paul Bearer at ringside.

Goldust's character was basically a menaced, gay, sexual deviant but to be fair he had red hot heat.

Its amazing his character made such an about turn later on really.  

Mind you, that's what's so fun about watching 1996-98 WWF, the show was nowhere near as sterilized and polished as it is now. There's been a few episodes where they've spliced in dodgy and poor quality camcorder footage from house shows to advance story lines, and another of Davey Boy Smith in tight shorts attacking HBK on a Kuwaiti beach (I'm not making this up). Kevin Dunn would have a fit nowadays. 

Edit: Its also quite surreal hearing Vince McMahon telling off Lawler on commentary for not concentrating on the in-ring action when that's exactly what he wants his commentators to do these days.

Edited by garynysmon

96 was WWF planting the seeds for what became the Attitude era. I had no idea what 'propositioned' meant when Shawn Michaels did it to Diana Smith, my dad had to explain in an awkward fashion. You also had Diesel flipping the bird at the Rumble, all the Goldust stuff and the HBK/Diesel match at IYH as well as the Undertaker/Mankind feud culminating with the boiler room brawl brought a more hardcore element to things