The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

I'd go to that. Especially if it was close and I had a free ticket and a mate to go with. Could be good. Paul Kelly's usually in exciting fights and Martin Stapleton from Team UK on TUF 9 was a guy I liked on the show so I'd be interested in his fight. Give it a bash.

Sadly not free tickets, he wants me to cover the ticket cost. Which is

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ian McCall has pulled out of the Fox 4 fight next week. That's got to be a record since it was only made a few days ago!

I'm currently in LA and heading to this next week. I'm looking forward to it more than UFC 150 the following week

Edit: Looks like he's been replaced by Ulysses Gomes (?)

ESPN voiceover guy when introducing UFC 149, he said "This is ESPN, home of the UFC for another year".

The other bit about UFC wanting tons of money is just word of mouth, based off when they tried to flog the early UFC on FUEL/FX cards that ESPN never picked up.

Ian McCall has pulled out of the Fox 4 fight next week. That's got to be a record since it was only made a few days ago!

Edit: Looks like he's been replaced by Ulysses Gomes (?)

Gomez had been putting his name forward to fight Jussier Da Silva if the UFC wanted, so nice to see him get a call up. After the Da Silva signing, the next two Flyweights I was expecting them to sign were Ulysses Gomez and Darrell Montague, looks like it's one down...

Bisping has been told if he beats Stann hes next in line. It'll be interesting to see if Bisping can handle Stanns power.

Interesting. Junkie are reporting that Dana say's nothing is determined about Silva's next opponent yet, though at the moment Weidman would be favourite. It will be a joke if Bisping gets the shot off the back of one win. Then again, I'm half expecting Faber to get Cody McKenzie next, and then another crack at Aldo.

Bisping has been told if he beats Stann hes next in line. It'll be interesting to see if Bisping can handle Stanns power.

Interesting. Junkie are reporting that Dana say's nothing is determined about Silva's next opponent yet, though at the moment Weidman would be favourite. It will be a joke if Bisping gets the shot off the back of one win. Then again, I'm half expecting Faber to get Cody McKenzie next, and then another crack at Aldo.

Bisping said its only verbal nothing set in stone, but he must win big against Stann. I don't know how he's going to do that unless he's going to wrestle against Stann

• Paid Members

Vince just told you to go fuck yourselves:

McMahon on UFC as competition: "We're in show business, they are a sport. Their ratings are abysmal. They are in the pay-per-view business, and they do reasonably well there. We just set a record for WrestleMania. We had 1.3 million buys for this year's WrestleMania, and our pay-per-view numbers for our shows have been up 30 percent since then. So, we are looking pretty good."

• Paid Members

Most of them do, yeah. Its just Vince being Vince, though. Meltzer wrote this about it.

"We're up 30% on PPV" can be translated that a bunch of unknown guys from Brazil plus Rich Franklin beat Brock Lesnar who we paid millions for by 36,000, and then two weeks later they did another 1 million.

TV ratings are abysmal, and guess what, who got the $100 million a year TV contract for 24 one hour episodes of a reality show and 14-16 live shows and who is producing 208 hours a year of first-run programming getting much bigger ratings and somehow taking in less money. Whose company is worth $1.25 billion and whose is worth less than half that?

Being in the sports business instead of the entertainment business seems to have its advantages.

• Paid Members

Been listening to this, Joe Rogan podcast with Josh Barnett

Fucking great stuff, both really interesting and funny to listen to. It's not just MMA talk either, these two just chat shit non stop for two hours about everything from crap fashion to dodgy fast food to gory horror movies, all sorts.

Barnett's the man. "Vaginas - they ruin lives" :laugh:

edit...

Barnett quote on women with chest tattoos;

"You have tits. You have the greatest tattoo ever created for your chest. Big tits, little tits whatever. You got tits. You don't need to put ink on top of the tits. Leave the tits alone".

Haha, I love that.

Archived