The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

Did anyone see any of Barnett's tweets from a couple of weeks ago during the fighter's convention? Brilliant. I'll have to try and dig the list out as it wasn't just him either. A few of them were at it. He has some personality that man!!!

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Silky Kisser's personal favorite fighter James McSweeney has been tapped to fight Babalu at the next One FC show...

that card's stacking up nicely, they need to get some kind of US TV deal sorted! can't be dealing with these shitty stream rips.

• Paid Members

Alan Belcher tweet hinting at his next fight

My next fight will be the biggest of my career! I may be taking a trip down south, very south. #UFC #belcher4champ

Rumours are that he might be fighting Belfort on the UFC 153 Brazil card. Hell of a fight if it happens.

And Rampage is already looking in fantastic shape;

rampageh.png

And bear in mind, the Teixeira fight is still a few months off yet. Rampage is usually a bit of a bloater this far out from fights. I know it doesn't really mean a lot but it at least shows he's really taking this seriously. I think the way the Bader fight played out might have lit a fire under Rampage's arse.

An in shape Rampage vs Glover Teixeira will be proper fireworks. If Rampage wins, I bet he'll end up staying. Even after all the talk.

• Paid Members
Silky Kisser's personal favorite fighter James McSweeney has been tapped to fight Babalu at the next One FC show...

that card's stacking up nicely, they need to get some kind of US TV deal sorted! can't be dealing with these shitty stream rips.

Checking Wikipedia just now, I was saddened to see McSweeney has gone on a bit of a winning streak recently. Sad news indeed. Hopefully Babalu can put an end to that and McSweeney can go back to brightening up my days whenever I hear about him losing. What a bell end.

• Paid Members
Alan Belcher tweet hinting at his next fight

My next fight will be the biggest of my career! I may be taking a trip down south, very south. #UFC #belcher4champ

Rumours are that he might be fighting Belfort on the UFC 153 Brazil card. Hell of a fight if it happens.

MMAJunkie's now reporting that Belfort and Belcher have both agreed to this. Can't wait for that one. It will be on the Brazil card in Oct aswell.

• Paid Members

no need to really bang this in the Strikeforce thread, but Pat Healy will get the next crack at Gilbert Melendez' 155lb title. Happy it's happening because Healy by far the most deserving guy in the division and it feels like the promotion did it's hardest to stop Healy getting the shot...but he kept winning :) Should be a scrappy classic.

Yet another injury!

Ben Rothwell is out of the fight against Travis Browne next week at UFC on Fox 4. Devin Cole (former Strikeforce) has been offered the fight on short notice but as of yet Browne hasn't accepted the change.

Edit: Didn't notice the thread for the event, oops.

Dana White has confirmed that Daniel Cormier's last fight in Strikeforce will be against....Frank Mir! It will be co-main event of the Melendez/Healy show on 29th Sept.

Yep, you read that right. Mir will be going to Strikeforce for this one fight only after which both guys will go to/back to the UFC. Honestly didn't expect that!

• Paid Members

Jesus, has Frank pissed someone off or something?

I know Cormier's still relatively new to MMA but he's already shown he can go with the big boys. Anyone on the fence about him should have been convinced of that after seeing his performance against Barnett.

This is a terrible style matchup for Mir imo. Mir's BJJ will likely not come into play, Cormier's too good a wrestler for Mir to take down. And standing, I don't see Mir standing up to DC's power too long.

I know it always seems like I'm counting Mir out, truth be told I'd pick him over most of the division. But big power punchers who can stop Mir's takedowns have always been his kryptonite. Especially a guy like Cormier who also has a gastank that will allow him to push the pace.

JDS, Cain, Cormier. Them are guys I just don't see Mir coping with, ever. And I'd have Reem and Werdum to fuck him up aswell. I think Mir beats the Kongo level guys all day but will always falter stepping up from there.

Cormier by KO for me.

Damn it, the fight has been moved already. It won't be on the Melendez/Healy card anymore, now Cormier/Mir will be the headliner on its own Oct/Nov show.

Shame, because 29th Sept could've been one of the best days in recent MMA (still could tbh). UFC Nottingham on the night, followed a couple of hours by the Melendez/Healy Strikeforce show.

• Paid Members
Dana White has confirmed that Daniel Cormier's last fight in Strikeforce will be against....Frank Mir! It will be co-main event of the Melendez/Healy show on 29th Sept.

Yep, you read that right. Mir will be going to Strikeforce for this one fight only after which both guys will go to/back to the UFC. Honestly didn't expect that!

Wow, I'm absolutely gobsmacked by that. It does make sense he is facing a UFC top(ish) level guy rather than say Tim Sylvia. It would have been a loss loss fight for Cormier. If he beats him it's completely expected and does nothing for him coming into the UFC. If he loses he is fucked for good and loses all value coming to the UFC. With Mir it's not quite win/win, but it's pretty much near enough.

Jesus, has Frank pissed someone off or something?

His performance against JDS was really lackluster IMO. Yeah, JDS had a great performance, but Mir seemed to half ass his end of it, going for one sloppy takedown then deciding to kickbox with the best striker in the division. It's a pity we can't leave Mir in Strikeforce, he's always been touted to a level far above what he actually is.

Still, Mir has name value, and will look good on Cormier's resume next to Barnett.

Archived