The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

But if we're throwing about potential great 185 fights, then Nick Diaz vs Wanderlei Silva gets my vote. Would be a crazy fight for however long it went.

That would make for an interesting bout, even if Wanderlei would likely lose. Putting Diaz in against Sonnen will maybe give us a decent buildup with amusing fake wrestling-style bullshit, but the fight would simply consist of Sonnen repeatedly taking Diaz down and holding him there. Wrestlers have been the Diaz brothers kryptonite for years.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Oh for fucks sake Supremo, thanks for that. Never at any point did I ever consider the possibility of a Sonnen/Diaz fight. Now, the thought of that build up and fight basically fills me with uncontrollable excitement. Its only going to lead to disappointment.

Yeah, I'm almost annoyed with myself for coming up with the idea yesterday because it's going to be so disappointing if we never get to see it. Even if Joe Silva booked it there'd be every chance Nick would fuck it up somehow by self destructing again. Still; at a time when they're struggling to come up with main events, that's a fight that could definitely headline a show without it needing to involve a championship. It's the perfect pairing.

Awesome avatar by the way.

• Paid Members

I also loved Aldo vs Hominick. It was a great fight, much more competitive than most expected. Hominick gained a lot of fans even in losing that one. The crowd was awesome, Hominick's 'Coming Home' entrance (before every fucker started using it) was a goosebump moment, the cricket ball-sized lump, Hominick surviving to make a bit of a comeback. Going in pretty much everyone expected a slaughter within 2 rounds but we got a fucking epic.

Hominick's downfall since has been strange. I really think Shawn Tompkins' death has affected his game. Tompkins was training him since he was a teenager I think so it's all he's known, must have fucked him up. As big a Korean Zombie fan as I am there's no reason he should be KOing Hominick in 7 seconds.

The Aldo vs Hominick fight was the last time Tompkins cornered him before he died. In hindsight it would have been a great story if Hominick had won the title that night. Tompkins getting to see Hominick finally win the title before he died would have been nice.

Yeah Hominick has really taken a tumble since Tompkins passed away. It's a shame because he is a great fighter but just can't seem to put things together on fight night. There is no way he should of lost to Yagin and I think his confidence has been shot now.

• Paid Members

In response to The Natural's post, here's my top 10 UFC fights...

1. Dan Henderson vs Shogun Rua (UFC 139)

2. Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard 2 (UFC 125)

3. Chuck Liddell vs Wanderlei Silva (UFC 79)

4. Anderson Silva vs Chael Sonnen 1 (UFC 117)

5. Roger Huerta vs Clay Guida (TUF 6 Finale)

6. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs Randy Couture (UFC 102)

7. Tyson Griffin vs Clay Guida (UFC 72)

8. Chan Sung Jung vs Dustin Poirier (UFC on FUEL 3)

9. Diego Sanchez vs Clay Guida (TUF 9 Finale)

10. Forrest Griffin vs Stephan Bonnar 1 (TUF 1 Finale)

Really hard to narrow down to 10. These were all ones I barely left off...

Henderson vs Guida (UFC on FOX 1)

Hughes vs Trigg 2 (UFC 52)

Sanchez vs Parisyan (Fight Night 6)

Aldo vs Hominick (UFC 129)

Quarry vs Credeur (Fight Night 19)

Couture vs Rizzo 1 (UFC 31)

Sanchez vs Kampmann (UFC on Versus 3)

Leben vs Akiyama (UFC 116)

Edgar vs Griffin (UFC 67)

Actually, Bendo/Clay probably should be top 10 over Griffin/Bonnar. All the above are the dog's bollox.

• Paid Members

- Shinya Aoki

- Bibiano Fernandes vs. Gustavo Falciroli

- Andrei Arlovski vs. Soa Palelei

- Jens Pulver vs. Eric Kelly

- Gregor Gracie vs. Nicholas Mann

- Renato Sobral vs. James McSweeney

- Eduard Folayang vs. Felipe Enomoto

- Rolles Gracie vs. Tony Bonello

- Igor Gracie vs. Jung Hwan Cha

- Phil Baroni vs. Rodrigo Ribeiro

- Kevin Belingon vs. Soo Chul Kim

- Mitch Chilson vs. Shannon Wiratchai

- Honorio Banario vs. Andrew Benibe

the current One FC card for August 31st, that thing is looking great. I'm really hoping they get some kind of TV deal going in America. I'm gonna have to make a point watching the stream.

• Paid Members

I'll have another go. Top 10 post-UFC 101 I'll go with

1. Dan Henderson vs Shogun Rua (UFC 139)

2. Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard 2 (UFC 125)

3. Anderson Silva vs Chael Sonnen 1 (UFC 117)

4. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs Randy Couture (UFC 102)

5. Chan Sung Jung vs Dustin Poirier (UFC on FUEL 3)

6. Ben Henderson vs Clay Guida (UFC on FOX 1)

7. Nate Quarry vs Tim Credeur (Fight Night 19)

8. Jose Aldo vs Mark Hominick (UFC 129)

9. Diego Sanchez vs Martin Kampmann (UFC on Versus 3)

10. Chris Leben vs Yoshihiro Akiyama (UFC 116)

Honourable mentions to

Edgar vs Maynard 3 (UFC 136)

Condit vs Ellenberger (Fight Night 19)

Diaz vs Penn (UFC 137)

Cruz vs Faber 2 (UFC 132)

Kampmann vs Condit (Fight Night 18)

Edgar vs Henderson (UFC 144)

Lesnar vs Carwin (UFC 116)

Sotiropoulos vs Stevenson (UFC 110)

Diaz vs Cerrone (UFC 141)

And Anderson's ridiculous displays of badassery in the Griffin and Belfort fights. But they weren't really 'great fights' more 'fucking amazing moments'.

• Paid Members

OneFC card looks good. Hope Arlovski and Pulver pick up wins. Hopefully Babalu submits McSweeney as well. And Bibiano Fernandes is always worth watching. Wish he had come to terms with the UFC.

Have they said who Aoki's fighting or is it a TBA job?

• Paid Members

it's TBA at the moment.

Ive never really put together a list of my favorite fights, i might have a crack at it. Wand's is pretty f'n awesome though, nice shout on Quarry/Credeur, that's a forgotten classic.

• Paid Members

Ah right. Wonder who they'll match him with. Wouldn't mind something like Aoki vs Tyson Griffin actually.

Oh and incase anyone missed it, Eddie Alvarez is having the last fight on his Bellator contract in October. Nothing's confirmed but I think he'll be off to Zuffaland after that (if he wins obviously). Him sitting front row with Dana at a UFC recently, then he wasn't included in the Bellator video game. It's pretty telling imo.

If he loses this fight though fuck knows what happens then. Probably re-sign with Bellator or try OneFC for a Aoki rubber match maybe.

I hope he ends up with Zuffa. He's done about as much as he can everywhere else now. And fights with Melendez, Edgar, Bendo, Diaz, Cerrone, Pettis etc interest me way more than anything he could do elsewhere. A Chandler rematch is the only non Zuffa fight I would love to see. But I'd much rather see him have a bash at the big leagues. I don't think he'd beat the top 3 but I doubt he'd do a Lombard. Would be some great fights regardless.

• Paid Members

yeh, he needs to be in the UFC. I'd love to see him go through the tournament again in Bellator but the UFC is where the big fights are for him.

Wonder if the UFC has any interest in nabbing any of the other Bellator champs when they end up out of contract?, i'd love to see Eduardo Dantas or Pat Curran move over.

Archived