The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

Wonder if the UFC has any interest in nabbing any of the other Bellator champs when they end up out of contract?, i'd love to see Eduardo Dantas or Pat Curran move over.

Let's hope they fare better than Lombard did if they get signed.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I know this isnt MMA news as such, but probably noteworthy to some, courtesy of Bloody Elbow...

Kickboxing superstar Badr Hari is in more trouble with the law. After getting arrested for an alleged assault at a popular Amsterdam music event, he has been charged with 'attempted manslaughter'. Inside Kickboxing has the news:

Badr Hari is facing a possible attempted manslaughter charge following an appearance in front of an Amsterdam magistrate today.

He is alleged to have taken part in an assault on a reveller at a rave in Amsterdam Arena earlier this month, before going on holiday with his girlfriend Estelle Gullit, estranged wife of the Dutch footballing icon Ruud Gullit.

Having returned from holiday this week Hari handed himself in to police Wednesday night and was arrested on doing so. He has been detained in custody since then and today his remand was extended by the magistrates, who gave police permission to hold him for two weeks.

According to the complainant, Hari was one of three men that assaulted him at the event and was the one that stomped on his ankle, which snapped it in half.

- Shinya Aoki

- Bibiano Fernandes vs. Gustavo Falciroli

- Andrei Arlovski vs. Soa Palelei

- Jens Pulver vs. Eric Kelly

- Gregor Gracie vs. Nicholas Mann

- Renato Sobral vs. James McSweeney

- Eduard Folayang vs. Felipe Enomoto

- Rolles Gracie vs. Tony Bonello

- Igor Gracie vs. Jung Hwan Cha

- Phil Baroni vs. Rodrigo Ribeiro

- Kevin Belingon vs. Soo Chul Kim

- Mitch Chilson vs. Shannon Wiratchai

- Honorio Banario vs. Andrew Benibe

the current One FC card for August 31st, that thing is looking great. I'm really hoping they get some kind of TV deal going in America. I'm gonna have to make a point watching the stream.

McSweeney is going to get absolutely destroyed there, he's went to Australia and fought four bums to bring his record back into the winning column (at 10-9) however he shouldnt allow himself to believe that means he can actually fight.

• Paid Members

Yeah Babalu shouldn't have much trouble there. Outside of McSweeney landing some bomb he's pretty much fucked. Babalu has him beat massively in BJJ and wrestling.

Shocking stuff with Badr Hari. Always liked watching him fight but he's always been a total cockhead. Shame because he's a really talented fighter but he's clearly a fucking idiot.

• Paid Members

oh Hari is clearly somewhat of an arse, it's always been part of his appeal though, he's got that Mike Tyson bad-boy thing going on and it's legit. He's a man you do not want to mess with.

Does anyone know why he knocked his boxing career attempt on the head to return to kickboxing?

• Paid Members
Can't be doing searching for the Bellator thread whilst I'm on my phone, but Junkie reports that for the last fight on his contract, Eddie Alvarez will face Patricky Pitbull at Bellator 76.

Fuck me, that's a great fight. Can't wait for that. Never even considered Pitbull as an opponent for Alvarez.

Jussier "Formiga" da Silva vs John Dodson in a Flyweight fight set for the UFC on FX 5, that's a great fight and I could see Dodson getting a title shot if he wins, it might be a little early for Jussier from a marketing standpoint.

• Paid Members
Can't be doing searching for the Bellator thread whilst I'm on my phone, but Junkie reports that for the last fight on his contract, Eddie Alvarez will face Patricky Pitbull at Bellator 76.

Fuck me, that's a great fight. Can't wait for that. Never even considered Pitbull as an opponent for Alvarez.

yeh, great fight. I'm glad Bellator are making the most of Eddie's last fight. They could easily have put him with a one-off fighter or a lower name but they are putting in one of their top guys. Gonna be a good one.

Then i wanna see Patricky/Woodard II.

Jussier "Formiga" da Silva vs John Dodson in a Flyweight fight set for the UFC on FX 5, that's a great fight and I could see Dodson getting a title shot if he wins, it might be a little early for Jussier from a marketing standpoint.

Yeah, fantastic stuff. Dodson has been a beast thus far and the talent pool at flyweight is still small (no pun intended), so he would definitely deserve a shot with a win here.

• Paid Members

Look what's scheduled for DVD release on 13th Aug...

91JbeClgH9L._AA1500_.jpg

I'll be picking that up.

Also, Thiago Silva has left ATT and has joined the Blackzilians. And he's rumoured to be fighting Stanislav Nedkov at UFC 153 in Brazil.

Francisco 'Massaranduba' Drinaldo from TUF Brazil is meant to be on that card as well. He fought at 185 on the show and at UFC 147, but he's going back down two weight divisions to 155. He's fought most of his career at Lightweight, fuck knows why he went on TUF as a Middleweight.

• Paid Members

Jon Fitch vs Erick Silva for UFC 153 in Rio, Brazil.

Very interesting fight that. Big step up for Silva, he's looked fantastic so far but it's hard to look good against Fitch. Let alone win. Well, Hendricks did both but how many have just been overwhelmed? If Silva beats Fitch though, it will be huge for him and would put him in the mix with the contenders for me. Maybe one or two big wins away from a title shot. Sounds crazy for how new he is but a win over Fitch and he should get another top 5 guy.

Seems like they're hoping this new beast makes a name off Fitch. I honestly wouldn't be that surprised if they let Fitch go if he loses this fight. I'm not a fan of Fitch but I wouldn't agree with that given his record. But I can see it happening if he loses.

Jon Fitch vs Erick Silva for UFC 153 in Rio, Brazil.

Seems like they're hoping this new beast makes a name off Fitch. I honestly wouldn't be that surprised if they let Fitch go if he loses this fight. I'm not a fan of Fitch but I wouldn't agree with that given his record. But I can see it happening if he loses.

I was going to say no way, especially as I had him winning the Penn fight (and also after how Hardy kept getting chance after chance), but he hasn't finished anyone in over five years (since the Roan Carneiro fight) and out of his 13 UFC wins, 9 have been by decision (and that includes guys such as Brock Larson, Chris Wilson, Kuniyoshi Hironaka and Ben Saunders). It's clear Dana is not a fan of his, and he tends to be far harsher in cutting 'wrestlers' than he is with guys who fight on their feet.

He's harsher with boring fighters imo. Cheal is a non finishing wrestler but Cheal knows he needs the personality and the trash talking.

Fitch has NO upside to him whatsoever.

Archived