The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

Even if fans do not believe Diaz would have a shot the public I think will still want to pay to see both him and Anderson.

You think so? Unless the public know about his track record in Strikeforce and whatnot they'll see him as the guy who has a 1-1 record in the UFC. He's not looked especially great in either of his fights thus far, so I don't know why anyone would really want to see him fight and lose to Anderson?

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even if fans do not believe Diaz would have a shot the public I think will still want to pay to see both him and Anderson.

You think so? Unless the public know about his track record in Strikeforce and whatnot they'll see him as the guy who has a 1-1 record in the UFC. He's not looked especially great in either of his fights thus far, so I don't know why anyone would really want to see him fight and lose to Anderson?

He did against BJ, a UFC legend. He destroyed him in those last two rounds, only GSP has caused that much damage to him. The Condit fight was close, plus the masses are interested in Diaz.

That Primetime show helped the PPV produce 400k with no name support, it was all of Diaz's back. 400k is quite high for current standards, Edgar and Aldo do not produce numbers that high even when they have support of name fighters like Ramage and Sonnen.

The aftermath has made him more well known than ever, plus like I said Anderson right now is red hot after the Sonnen feud. Maybe 800k was a high estimate from myself, but it would do over 600k maybe 700k if they had a preview show that reached the masses (Meltzer thinks UFC 148 would have done better if the preview show was exposed more). 700k in this climate is very high

Its all talk though, because I really doubt it will happen

Fair enough if you do not want to get into it, but I will say Jon Fitch lost two rounds against BJ and could only get a draw. I consider Fitch to be a top level at 170lbs.

I do agree that BJ should be at 155lbs though, shame it is unlikely to never happen again

• Paid Members
I don't want to get into the BJ thing again, but seriously, he is far too small to even be competing at welterweight. He would get shcooled with guys far less skilled than Diaz at that weight now.

Come on David. You say he hasn't looked good so far in his appearances in the UFC yet he DID look superb against BJ Penn. Now, regardless of your opinion of bj at welterweight, Diaz looked superb. From what you are saying that doesn't count?

From what I am gathering you are being this opinion from a general UFC fan rather than an mma fan? This fan would therefore recognise bj as a legend. Now, I'm not saying I don't agree with you, but to say only his performance against Condit should be judged on his current UFC record is a bit unfair.

Personally I would like to see this touted fight and actually think Diaz stands a better chance ahead of some of current top contenders in the middleweight division. Diaz's chin along with his boxing would enable him to fight in the pocket and his jiu jitsu could give Silva problems. Add to that Diaz's lanky frame I think gives him a realistic chance.

• Paid Members

Nick Diaz is the most fascinating man in the sport. The Countdown specials leading into the Condit fight were absolutely gripping and I'd love to see him against Anderson Silva.

However, there's no way you can justify him getting a title shot coming off a loss, so if he's serious about going for the 185 title then I can think of only one man who should welcome him to the division.

134315308_extra_large.jpg

Diaz vs. Sonnen would be pure money.

Nick Diaz is the most fascinating man in the sport. The Countdown specials leading into the Condit fight were absolutely gripping and I'd love to see him against Anderson Silva.

He may be fascinating, but Silva would destroy him. Don't get me wrong, if it got made I'd watch it, but then I watch every UFC fight pretty much.

• Paid Members

He may be fascinating, but Silva would destroy him.

I know he would. I never said otherwise. I'd still be interested in seeing that fight though. Nick's style would make for a brilliant scrap against Anderson. He wouldn't shit his pants and run away like some have done. In fact, the idiot would probably put his hands down and stick his chin out, only for Silva to demolish him. It'd be amazing.

But like I said previously, there's no way he could ever get a shot coming off a loss, and as such he needs a win or two at 185 first, in which case Chael is the man for the job.

Imagine the Countdown show! And the press conferences! It'd be ace!

Diaz vs. Bisping would also be brilliant.

• Paid Members

Oh for fucks sake Supremo, thanks for that. Never at any point did I ever consider the possibility of a Sonnen/Diaz fight. Now, the thought of that build up and fight basically fills me with uncontrollable excitement. Its only going to lead to disappointment.

Whilst Diaz and Sonnen are fairly chummy, I think it is a possibility. Sonnen is friends with Munoz and Stann and fought them and Diaz does not give a fuck it seems.

I think Sonnen may cool the personal attacks a bit like he did with Stann though.

Diaz vs Sonnen still gets my approval!

If Diaz was to fight a MW I would want him to fight Hector Lombard, despite his last performance he is always up for banging and he has a worse attitude than Nick Diaz. The stare downs would be great and they both aren't nice guys and wouldn't apologise for any trash talk after the fight.

• Paid Members

Love the suggestions for Diaz fights at 185. I don't think Diaz really wants to move up for any real length of time though. They were on about a catchweight but said Diaz would go to 185 for a fight with Anderson. I think if he can't get that fight he'll stay at 170.

And remember, it doesn't have to be a shot at Anderson's title. They can do a 5 round non title catchweight fight if they want. Diaz's side didn't mention titles.

But if we're throwing about potential great 185 fights, then Nick Diaz vs Wanderlei Silva gets my vote. Would be a crazy fight for however long it went.

NIck can't do uch at 170 apat from being busted from being stoned out of his gourd, at 185 all he'd do is get more oif a chance to sit around eating pringles. Any of the guys in the top 5 would destroy him. I don't see him beating Sonnen, Boethsch, Munoz, Bisping or Stann let alone Silva.

• Paid Members

Good list.

If I was to do a my own I'd definitely place Aldo vs. Hominick from UFC 129 in there. A tremendous fight, in the perfect setting, I came out of that fight the biggest Hominick fan in the world. It's a massive shame what a fall from grace he's had since.

Archived