The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Haha, you know what they're going for with that. Cormier's contractually obligated to fight once more on Showtime so they're feeding him Timmy the Gimme and then they'll bring him into the UFC.

Probably be a one and done deal for Tim. I'd be very, very, very fucking shocked if Cormier doesn't mop the floor with him within a round. Fair play to Sylvia though, his campaigning worked, he's got another chance on the big stage which is good going for a guy who was getting sparked by an old Ray Mercer in 9 seconds not too long ago. Just a shame his one shot is coming against a beast like Daniel Cormier.

Is this event worth going to ?

My mate has a spare ticket and its not far to travel but Paul Kelly is the only guy I know off on it tbh.

I'd go to that. Especially if it was close and I had a free ticket and a mate to go with. Could be good. Paul Kelly's usually in exciting fights and Martin Stapleton from Team UK on TUF 9 was a guy I liked on the show so I'd be interested in his fight. Give it a bash.

Sherman "The Tank" Pendergarst has passed away from cancer, he once fought in the UFC, losing to Hardonk at UFC 65, he was a Militech fighter.

Just seen this on Junkie. Sad news. I didn't even hear that he had cancer. RIP.

• Paid Members

Hope this isn't considered live chat..

Just thought I'd remind anyone who's about that Bellator 72 is streaming free on spike.com right now. I'll just say, the fights have been top drawer so far. Main card starts at 1am.

http://www.spike.com/shows/bellator-fighti...mpionships/live

Baker vs Amoussou WW tournament final, Zaromskis/Spiritwolf 3, Paul Daley's Bellator debut and the two LHW semi finals all still to come. Should be a really fun bunch of fights.

anyone know where the cheapest place to get MMA gear would be? My mate runs a club, and after a session with the boys with no no groin or mouth guards I dont think ill be going back till I get them! Wouldnt mind getting some shorts either, any help would be greatly appreciated.

anyone know where the cheapest place to get MMA gear would be? My mate runs a club, and after a session with the boys with no no groin or mouth guards I dont think ill be going back till I get them! Wouldnt mind getting some shorts either, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest the MMA In Training thread for chat on this (Previously the grapple thread)

http://ukff.com/index.php?showtopic=130553&st=30

But Powerstar on ebay sold me a groin guard which has worked great. Mouth guard id try shock doctor its the entry level gum shield.

shock-doctor-mouthguard-single.jpg

As for the rest of your gear, boxing gloves, shin guards, grappling gloves, hand wraps, head guard. I would suggest if so borrowing some feel what suits you but ill throw in a few suggestions

Boxing Gloves - Reebok are top notch 14oz ones, other wise if you have the money try Hayabusa, Twins, Sandee, Kings

Shin Guards - Depends what style you want. You can pick up some decent RDX ones for cheap (

Daniel Cromier will face Big Timmeh Tim Sylvia at the Sept 29th Strikeforce event!

I hope Timmeh wins, just for the shock factor. I'm just picturing Dana's reaction of "Fuck!"

I hope Brian Ebersole vs George Sotiropoulos is Ebersole's LW debut, maybe on the Australia show next March* or something?

*assuming based on the past few years, I've heard Brisbane may get the TUF Finale in December. Having said that, I'm sure the TUF house is actually in Sydney for the Smashes.

• Paid Members

Jimi Manuwa vs Kyle Kingsbury completes the UFC Nottingham card. Here's the full lineup;

Stefan Struve vs Stipe Miocic

Dan Hardy vs Amir Sadollah

Matt Wiman vs Paul Sass

Brad Pickett vs Yves Jabouin

John Hathaway vs John Maguire

Akira Corassani vs Andy Ogle

Fabio Maldonado vs Jorgen Kruth

Duane Ludwig vs Che Mills

Pascal Krauss vs Gunnar Nelson

Brad Tavares vs Tom Watson

Kyle Kingsbury vs Jimi Manuwa

Jason Young vs Robbie Peralta

They usually do a 6 fight main card on FUEL and the top 6 listed there look the likely main carders I reckon. I've got to say, that looks like a quality night of fights on paper. Especially for a FUEL show. I can't see any of them fights not being decent at least. And a bunch of them could be absolute corkers.

• Paid Members

i think there's something about the Tim/Dana situation that we don't know about. It's kind of like the Matt Lindland/Frank Shamrock situation where Dana simply isn't willing to let it go.

• Paid Members

bit more on the passing of Pendergarst:

Heavyweight Sherman Pendergarst lost his battle with cancer Friday at Genesis Medical Center in Davenport, Iowa, the fighter's longtime trainer and friend Pat Miletich told ESPN.com.

Pendergarst, 45, was not among the most-skilled mixed martial artists. But he was second to none when it came to being respected by his peers and fans.

"I really hate it when people (who) care for everyone are afflicted with suffering," Miletich said. "He was such a gentle soul."

Pendergarst last competed on Feb. 18 against Bruce Nelson. The light heavyweight bout was declared a no-contest when Pendergarst landed an illegal strike.

He fought once in UFC, losing by first-round knockout to heavyweight Antoni Hardonk in November 2006.

In his lone Bellator appearance on May 1, 2009, Pendergarst suffered a first-round TKO to Joey Beltran.

Pendergarst had a professional record of 11-18 with one no-contest.

Pendergarst was diagnosed with colon cancer more than a year ago, but he refused to retire despite repeated insistence from Miletich and others at Miletich Fighting Systems in Bettendorf, Iowa, to do so.

"I can confirm that he had cancer for his last fight," Miletich said. "I was (angry) when I found out that he had already fought.

"I stopped training him after learning that he had been diagnosed with cancer. I wanted him to quit fighting."

His final bout took place in Fargo, N.D., while he was being treated for cancer. Pendergarst failed to inform the North Dakota Commission for Combative Sports of his physical condition.

His prefight blood work did not reveal evidence of cancer.

"It was just HIV, Hepatitis B and C," commission representative Linda Gregoryk told ESPN.com of what it tested for. "And they all came back negative. That was all that was on that blood test. So there we wouldn't have known (about his cancer). "On our medical form, we asked him several questions, there are 10 or so, and one of them is, 'Do you have a serious condition?' And, of course, everything he said was no, no. no. So we didn't catch anything there."

If Pendergarst had revealed his physical ailment he would not have been allowed to compete on the card.

"Certainly we would not have allowed him to fight," commission spokeswoman Mary Feist told ESPN.com in a statement. "And if he'd insisted that he was going to fight, he would have had to have passed a really strenuous doctor's test saying that a doctor would approve him to fight. "No doctor that I know of would have allowed him to fight."

ESPN.com left a message with CFX owner Brock Larson, whom the commission has listed as the promoter of the Feb. 18 event. But no one from the promotion has responded.

"The one thing that was cool about Sherm is that he spent a lot of time helping the young guys," Miletich said. "He was always advising them, helping line them up with fights."

Sherman-Pendergarst-Ring-of-Fire-31.jpg

always sad when you hear of an MMA fighter passing :( always a guy who's name i'd recognise pop up on cards. The last time i saw him compete was against Houston Alexander at an Adrenaline show...he also fought in the infamous YAMMA tournament. Never a world-beater but he mixed with really good fighters for his whole career.

RIP.

• Paid Members
Dana White blog - UFC 148 Backstage stuff.

Bollocking Forrest Griffin and Tito Ortiz making excuses.

You forgot a link:

Here

Are the UFC now sponsored by Qantas?

I still can't find THAT shirt.

• Paid Members
Daniel Cromier will face Big Timmeh Tim Sylvia at the Sept 29th Strikeforce event!

I'd love to see it happen.

This one-off Strikeforce fight they have to fill is an awkward thing. I would think the UFC want Cormier now, because any kind of blip in the next fight is gonna kill a potential title shot for Cormier...they can realistically bring him straight in and do a massive Champion vs. Champion fight (saving of course that Velasquez isn't champ).

Sylvia fits the billing though, former champ, good record to see Cormier go in and through the big guy around would boost Cormier's stock even further. However, if Timmeh goes in and pulls off the upset, what then? Does the UFC sign Sylvia? do they shun him spoiling plans? It's an interesting little set up.

Plus, although Sylvia is seen as a joke in some circles he's not an easy fight for anyone, if he comes in in shape he's a handful. Sylvia hasn't been in great shape really since the Fedor fight but this fight would surely motivate him to get there. I mentioned it before but if you go through Sylvia's record he's only ever been soundly beaten once (Randy). In that i mean dominated throughout a fight, 5 of his losses come in under a minute (and people won't let him hear the end of it) and his other loss being to Big Nog in a fight he was winning until he got caught. Point is, if Sylvia is allowed to settle into a rythym he wins, he's one of the best examples of a fighter in MMA that uses his natural physical gifts to his advantage...and at 36 it's probably his last chance to really have a run at it.

I think he deserves a fucking crack...

Archived