The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

To be fair though, Mir was fucked from the get-go against JDS. Just an awful style matchup for him. I think he went in fully up for it but when he failed that takedown (which was actually a pretty good attempt) he realised he would be forced to stand and his arse went. He talked a great game for that fight but I think he knew deep down it was going to be a really tough style for him to beat. I thought he looked a bit worried even on his entrance. He usually looks mega cocky and smug but the swagger wasn't really there that fight.

Man, did I just kind of stick up for Frank Mir?

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I'll take Mir to beat Cormier. I wasn't all that impressed by him against Barnett.

Really? I thought he looked great to be honest. I know Barnett broke his hand but Cormier did aswell. And with only a handful of fights he dominated a top level, well rounded, bigger and much more experienced fighter.

He also answered a couple of questions with that performance. He showed he could go 5 rounds at a high pace. Showed he could take a shot to the chin, Barnett waffled him with some hard shots, a big knee especially as I recall. He showed he has knowledge of good submission defence escaping the leg locks. Didn't crack under pressure. Showed heart to fight through the broken hand.

He looked legit to me. I see it looking like Mir vs Carwin. Cormier is like a better version of Carwin. With better cardio, speed, more fluid striking and better wrestling.

Call me a pessimist, but I'm not rating anyone until they compete in the UFC and win against decent fighters. If Cormier beats Mir, and maybe goes on to win another one or two fights in the company then I'll buy into it.

• Paid Members

I think Barnett is a tougher opponent than Mir to be honest. Barnett could hang with a lot of the UFC division I think. Probably beats everyone outside the top 4 or 5. He's a proven good solid fighter and DC bossed him. That fight did more to convince me than all of Cormier's previous fights combined just because of who he did it to.

I'm not declaring him the next champ or anything but it's hard to deny he's a serious threat.

• Paid Members

According to a few places, the next challenger for the Light Heavyweight title is between Shogun, Machida and Bader. Whoever wins the most impressively, apparently gets the shot. It's a weird situation, more so because Jones has already soundly beaten each of them.

Here

205lbs

That shows how weak 205lbs is with Jones domination. Out of them I would like Machida over Shogun, he had Jones in fits in that first round and in my eyes clearly won it. Add in the rumors that he was ill coming in and King Mo saying that he saw "stuff" in his training camp that hindered his performance, there is at least half a reason to give Machida a rematch. I doubt even as a big fan he would win though.

Shogun would be perfect in the unlikely event Hendo would beat Jones, as that is highly unlikely I would not want to see Jones vs SHogun 2, Shogun is too small and other than a Hendo rematch I think he should drop to 185lbs.

Bader lacks the skills and talent to beat Jones, I see him as a career mid-level guy. The new Matt Hamill, he is the one I would least like to see.

At least they are not rushing Gustafsson, Texeria if he is as good as I think he is may be ready in a year. However, for now 205lbs is mega weak for challengers, the rematch options just reek of "this is the best of a bad situation"

Mir vs Cormier

I like Cormier to win on points, I agree with the above he is a better version of Carwin. But he is smaller and less powerful. I doubt he will blow out Mir who is not a bad boxer. Cormier should be able to beat him handily in the stand up like he did Barnett. The ground game will not come into it, Mir will not be able to takedown Cormier, and Cormier will avoid it due to the submisison threat of Mir.

I think it will look a lot like the Cormier vs Barnett fight.

• Paid Members

Sorry, I only scanned Jim's post where he mentions Hendo. The talk of Shogun/Machida/Bader is post Hendo0- Jones then?

All this talk of rematches for Jon Jones assumes people don't think Henderson's got much of a chance?

Big foot and Barnett aren't decent fighters?

Josh Barnett hasn't fought in the UFC for over ten years, and when he did he got busted for PED's. Silva has fought in the UFC once and got absolutely smashed by Cain Velasquez within four minutes.

As I said, Cormier may be a decent heavyweight, but I'm reserving judgement until he fights some top level, prime UFC heavyweights.

• Paid Members

I'd say both Barnett and Big Foot would be a snug fit for the upper tier of the UFC Heavyweight division. They may not beat guys like Cain or JDS (most people wouldn't), but I'd still say it's unfair to say that they aren't decent fighters. If truth be told, I'd probably pick both of them to beat Frank Mir, too.

I'd say both Barnett and Big Foot would be a snug fit for the upper tier of the UFC Heavyweight division. They may not beat guys like Cain or JDS (most people wouldn't), but I'd still say it's unfair to say that they aren't decent fighters. If truth be told, I'd probably pick both of them to beat Frank Mir, too.

As I said, I'm not saying they aren't decent fighters, I'm just saying that I remain unconvinced until they actually compete against the very best.

Archived