The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

New judging rules, courtesy of F4WOnline:

The Association of Boxing Commissioners is having its annual meetings currently in Clearwater, FL. The biggest thing: they have had meetings to agree on minor changes in the judging criteria of MMA fights.

Here were the following changes:

1) Effective defense has been removed as a criteria. Only offensive moves are to be used in scoring fights. This should end any debate or talks when people ask if defending a takedown should be scored as a positive, or blocking a submission, or avoiding strikes. The new ruling is that effective defense only helps you in that it keeps you alive to do offense, but only offensive moves are the ones to be scored.

2) Striking and grappling are of equal weight. Before, the old criteria listed striking first and grappling second. Now they are equal with the idea that they are weighed based on how much of the fight is standing and on the ground.

3) The term 'damage' as a criteria has been replaced by the term effective damage.

4) Heavier strikes with impact should get more weight that just the number of strikes landed, most notably strikes that cause an opponent to obviously react, stagger, cut or bruiser, be in pain, as well as cumulative impact of strikes.

5) Grappling moves scored are takedowns, reversals and submissions, passing to dominant positions, use of active and threatening moves from the bottom, close submissions can't more than just attempted submissions and submissions that lead to people being tired are also weighed significantly.

6) Effective aggression is moving forward scoring with legal techniques, as well as attacking with strikes or submissions on the ground from either the top or bottom position.

7) Cage and ring control is dictating the pace, place and position

8) The current scoring system (ten point must) remains in place

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been looking forward to hearing who would be representing Team UK on the upcoming season of TUF however still can't find any word on confirmed participants. I have however managed to find out some of the UK guys who were definately taking part at the trials. Not sure if this had been discussed before but it was news to me and thought it may be of interest to some on here.

Ashleigh Grimshaw, Michael Pastou, Wendle Lewis, Bola Omoyele, Luke Newman, Colin Fletcher, Uche Ihiekwe, Richie Downes, Carl Noon, Rob Sinclair, Leon Edwards, Jack Mason all confirmed as having been present at the trials.

Source

• Paid Members

Ross Pearson is coaching Team UK mate. G-Sot is coaching the Aussies.

Some great names for Team UK there. Ashleigh Grimshaw is the one I'm most familiar with, been impressed with him for a while now. Colin 'Freakshow' Fletcher is good aswell and a bit of a flamboyant character with it.

I thought Rob Sinclair was fighting Andre Winner at BAMMA 10?

Those guys were only at the trials, no idea who actually made it in for Team UK.

Sinclair was announced for BAMMA 10 after the trials so I'm assuming he didn't get in which is weird as I would say he's one of the better UK fighters not already with the UFC.

• Paid Members

Ive always thought the trial process was unfait though, dont they have a couple of mins grappling, a couple of mins striking then an interview?

Im sure some guys go through on reputation but theres probably dozens of UFC worthy fighters that didnt get by that trial over the years

Ive always thought the trial process was unfait though, dont they have a couple of mins grappling, a couple of mins striking then an interview?

Im sure some guys go through on reputation but theres probably dozens of UFC worthy fighters that didnt get by that trial over the years

Yeah it is and when they get to the interview stage the TV execs get a big say in who go's through. Hence why you quite often hear of some top guys getting cut at the final stage as they are deemed not to have a good enough personality for the show.

Also the grappling is luck of the draw who you are paired with, if you are a striker who ends up with some great wrestler, you could just end up on your back for the whole 2 minutes not being able to do anything.

• Paid Members

Belfort on his next possible opponent

"(Chris) Weidman, or the winner of the Cuban vs. (Tim) Boetsch. I'm waiting for my confirmation on the Rio card, see who's gonna be my opponent. Nobody send me anything yet. I believe I'll get an answer on that next week. Mu

• Paid Members
Some decent names in the mix. Really looking forward to this.

Wonder if Jim Wallhead applies? Hes disappeared the last year.

Just read on Cage Warriors that Wallhead is set to compete in September's 170lb Bellator tournament. He's matched with Lyman Good in the first round which could be an excellent fight.

"Fuck Chael"

well i guess the seeds are sewn for a possible fight at 205lb. If Rampage does hang around after the Glover fight (which i think will depend entirely on how the fight plays out) and Chael does goto 205 what's the bets the UFC tries to put this thing together?

LOVING Chael Sonnen's reply:

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson had some harsh comments toward Chael Sonnen following Sonnen's UFC 148 loss to Anderson Silva. The comments he made to MMA Elite were in part a response to some of the comments Sonnen has levied his way in the past, but it once again brought about more from "The American Gangster."

Sonnen served as a guest analyst on Tuesday's new edition of "UFC Tonight" program, and in typical Sonnen fashion he addressed what Jackson said about him.

"Rampage has one fight left in the UFC and he isn't fighting me," Sonnen said. "I give you that answer because I am sitting here wearing my fancy suit, with an ear piece on and I have been branded an analyst on the number one UFC show on TV today."

He wouldn't stop there, however, as he had a more scathing, "non-analyst" take on the situation as well.

"But if you had asked me outside, in my kingdom and I was wearing my sponsor's shirt, I would have told him that he should stick to violating female reporters," Sonnen said. "He should stick to making box office disasters and driving the wrong way on the freeway ramped up on Mountain Dew, because he's not on my level. But, you didn't ask me outside, you asked me inside. So let's keep this professional, I don't want to get that message out there."

Credit: mmatorch.com

• Paid Members

Rampage hasn't got shit for Chael in a trash talking war, he should leave that alone. All he's got are the tired old bad breath lines he was using against Wand back in Pride and later against Rashad. Chael will win that battle every time.

Can't see an actual fight between them ever happening though. But at this stage I'd probably pick Chael to win that aswell.

In other news, Igor Pokrajac vs Vinny Magalhaes is rumoured for UFC 152 in Toronto. Interesting styles clash there.

Archived