The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

bispko11.gif

n697yd.jpg

UFC-100-LesnerVsMir.gif

UFC 100 three years ago today, as well as Arturo Gatti's death on the same day. Time flies.

Has Bisping woke up yet? He didn't seem with it in this interview the other night;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3M9ikWCOC0

Saying Anderson's knee was illegal and then said he didn't see the replay so can't comment? Eh? Why did he comment then?

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

i remember UFC 100 quite vividly, i was in London on the night of the show and wasn't home until late on the Sunday so i spent the Sunday walking around London praying that i didn't hear anything, i was paranoid :laugh:

The Hendo knockout remains the most brutal knockout in the UFC history IMO, that shot on the ground is just insane.

• Paid Members
Korean Zombie is pushing for the Aldo fight still. I really hope they give him it. Would kinda suck for Erik Koch after he was named as next in line but they need to capitalise on an Aldo vs Zombie fight while it's there I think.

Zombie is not only more popular than Koch, he's more deserving of the title shot aswell. While Koch is coming off a razor close decision to Jonathan Brookins and wins over decent lower card fighters like Assuncao and Rivera, Jung is 3-0 in the UFC with three spectacular finishes and has blown everyone away in all three fights. First the history making first ever Twister in UFC history, then a shock 7 second KO and then a FOTY candidate. And unlike Koch, he's done it against top level 145ers like Hominick and Poirier.

Jung's really caught on, he's probably the most popular FW they have, and Aldo vs Zombie could be the biggest 145lbs fight to date in MMA history. I think promoted right, it would surpass Aldo vs Faber. They'd be nuts not to make that fight next imo.

yeh, it seems like they've put themselves in an awkward spot with the whole 145lb title situation. There's gotta be nobody outside of Koch's team and friends and family that would rather see a Aldo/Koch fight than a Aldo/Zombie fight. The UFC have said Koch still gets the shot though :(

Korean Zombie is pushing for the Aldo fight still. I really hope they give him it. Would kinda suck for Erik Koch after he was named as next in line but they need to capitalise on an Aldo vs Zombie fight while it's there I think.

Zombie is not only more popular than Koch, he's more deserving of the title shot aswell. While Koch is coming off a razor close decision to Jonathan Brookins and wins over decent lower card fighters like Assuncao and Rivera, Jung is 3-0 in the UFC with three spectacular finishes and has blown everyone away in all three fights. First the history making first ever Twister in UFC history, then a shock 7 second KO and then a FOTY candidate. And unlike Koch, he's done it against top level 145ers like Hominick and Poirier.

Jung's really caught on, he's probably the most popular FW they have, and Aldo vs Zombie could be the biggest 145lbs fight to date in MMA history. I think promoted right, it would surpass Aldo vs Faber. They'd be nuts not to make that fight next imo.

I want Aldo/Jung for those reasons. Jung's earned it. It's the biggest fight possible in the UFC Featherweight division.

RE: UFC 100. One of the best UFC shows of all time with the Akiyama/Belcher opener, Dan Henderson's X rated KO of Michael Bisping is still amazing three years on, St. Pierre dominating Alvez and Lesnar's beating on Mir. Shame Fitch went on last ; ).

I loved UFC 100, in many ways that was my height of being a MMA fan. The only time I have enjoyed MMA as much was the build between Anderson vs Chael last week.

100 was a very good show, not the best but that did not matter. The atmosphere and story going in made the Main Event a massive spectacle, the second Brock Lesnar punched that door on Countdown (the best preview show they have ever done btw) it was money in the bank. 1.6 million buys! Pac Man and Floyd usually do not draw near that, only PPV that has sold more is Oscar vs Floyd in recent memory.

While Brock would later show heart against Carwin, I still think the controlled and ruthless way Lesnar destroyed Mir is his best performance, he made Mir look normal and broke him in a way JDS would do 2 years later, it was not some savage knockout like Carwin would do to Mir, it was a fucking domination like JDS did.

Brock even took a good punch of Mir, he did not run away he simply shrugged it of by taking down Mir and mauling him further leading to the stoppage. People forget how much Brock was rated at this point, I believe this Brock was a different beast to the post-illness Brock.

GSP beat Alves, in at the time was seen as a very dangerous fight, the Hendo KO gets played on forums daily by MMA fans worldwide and Jon Jones continued his way up the ladder to greatness.

It was a great time to be a UFC fan for sure.

• Paid Members
Brock even took a good punch of Mir, he did not run away he simply shrugged it of by taking down Mir and mauling him further leading to the stoppage. People forget how much Brock was rated at this point, I believe this Brock was a different beast to the post-illness Brock.

By far Brocks finest hour, he was a beast that night. It's unfortunate that the injury came about because we probably got robbed of the chance to know just how good Brock was. He's never said the injury harmed his performances post-op but people will always speculate.

• Paid Members

Yeah Brock's never used it as an excuse which is admirable. But it must've hindered him. He was on his death bed, lost a bunch of weight and had to have bits of his insides taken out just to keep him alive. Think about that. If Brock was a milkman (Ha) that would fuck with him, but an MMA fighter? When they take bits out of you for you to just live, then you can't be the same or train the same just months or a year later. Not a chance.

I think any version of Brock would've lost to Cain but I still think UFC 100 Brock would've beat Reem, or at least got one takedown. It's like his explosiveness was gone post surgery, and that was a huge part of Brock's game.

Another memory of UFC 100 was Mark Coleman's feelgood win over Stephan Bonnar. I love Bonnar but it was great to see Coleman get that final shining moment on a massive stage.

Oh and Jim Miller and Mac Danzig had a cracking, bloody fight on the prelims which I literally never see mentioned. Check it out if you've got the DVD lying about.

• Paid Members

Rob Sinclair vs Andre Winner is confirmed for BAMMA 10 in September

BAMMA10_large.jpg

Have only seen Sinclair once I think, but it was an excellent fight with Paul Sass a couple of years ago. Could be good. Anyone here going to this?

• Paid Members

Nice, hope you have a good time.

I thought Tellys was in some bother for drug dealing or something? Dawn raids and all sorts. What's happened with that then, anyone know? Hope he's back on track now, he never seemed the type to get mixed up in that type of thing.

Oh and Martin Stapleton is on that card aswell. Always liked him on TUF 9. I posted the video of him calling Rob Browning "a little tit" in another thread the other day funnily enough. He stopped fighting for a bit because he was busy in the military, but he's back now and won his first fight back recently. Hope he does well.

Archived