The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just because something is "fucking ridiculous" doesn't mean that Dana wouldn't do it. Look at Gerald Harris. Won 3 pretty decent fights, got on ESPN for his slam on Dave Branch and got cut for losing one shitty fight.

Gerald Harris wasn't a bona fide top five fighter, and he wasn't competing at the level Fitch is.

I certainly hope that White doesn't cut him, and I really don't think he will. Fitch, even after a loss, is still a good name for a younger guy such as Silva to test himself against.

• Paid Members

That's out the blue.

Usually I'd side with the old school guy but I'm firmly on Team Riddle here. Sod Randleman. Cro Cop KO and Fedorplex aside, always found him massively boring to watch personally. In his what, 5 year career? Riddle's been more fun to watch in his few fights than Randleman ever was. Fuck, Riddle was more entertaining at the last press conference than Randleman is in the cage.

I remember thinking Riddle a bit of a knob on TUF but he's grown on me over the years. Seems a good guy to me and like I said, never a dull moment.

All pointless though because I doubt Randleman will ever be back in the UFC anyway.

I know this isnt MMA news as such, but probably noteworthy to some, courtesy of Bloody Elbow...

Kickboxing superstar Badr Hari is in more trouble with the law. After getting arrested for an alleged assault at a popular Amsterdam music event, he has been charged with 'attempted manslaughter'. Inside Kickboxing has the news:

Badr Hari is facing a possible attempted manslaughter charge following an appearance in front of an Amsterdam magistrate today.

He is alleged to have taken part in an assault on a reveller at a rave in Amsterdam Arena earlier this month, before going on holiday with his girlfriend Estelle Gullit, estranged wife of the Dutch footballing icon Ruud Gullit.

Having returned from holiday this week Hari handed himself in to police Wednesday night and was arrested on doing so. He has been detained in custody since then and today his remand was extended by the magistrates, who gave police permission to hold him for two weeks.

According to the complainant, Hari was one of three men that assaulted him at the event and was the one that stomped on his ankle, which snapped it in half.

Hari just pleaded guilty to punching the guy in the Amsterdam Arena one time. He's still facing charges on one other fight last year.

• Paid Members

Helwani interview with Jorge Guimaraes (manager of Anderson Silva, Lyoto Machida etc)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...;v=BJ4zTAvtkck#!

Talks about a bunch of stuff. Subject of Anderson's next opponent comes up and he said Anderson might sit out the rest of 2012. He said they were asked to fight Weidman but they turned it down.

Mentioned GSP (catchweight) and Rashad (185) as possible opponents but they won't happen this year most likely. Diaz came up as well but that's a long way off as well with the suspension and him coming off a loss etc.

I'm split on this. In one way I'd love to see him fight Weidman, just because I'm intrigued after Weidman's last fight to see what he can do against Anderson. But I've got to admit, I totally get where Black House are coming from. Anderson's nearing the end of his career, I can see why he wants to fight names and super fights at this point. Would be a shame if Anderson vs GSP never happens, but I really don't think GSP is keen on the idea.

He also said Nog is ready and they're trying to get him on the Brazil card in October. Hope he's not rushing again. Seems quick considering he just pulled out of the Kongo fight not long ago.

• Paid Members

For me, the only fight that makes sense for Silva now is Rashad Evans at 185. GSP is too small for Silva and Jones is far too big. Rashad could comfortably make 185 IMO and even then looks a little smaller than Silva. It would be classed in the super fight bracket that Silva is craving.

• Paid Members
Espn have signed a deal for the ufc running until august next year. Abit disapointed i wanted sky to get it.the ufc needs

Sky to grow here.

I'm not sure I agree, I only think coverage on a freeview channel would grow it in popularity going forward.

It needs to be free-to-air for a time to get brand new eyes on it. If Sky got it, they would either stick it on SSports 3/4 and only current fans would search it out, or put most of it on Box Office which I think would decrease it in popularity over the long run.

Weren't the viewing figs for TUF when it was on sky pretty crappy (worse then on ESPN)? That was broadcast on Sky Sports 1 wasn't it? Sky seems to value it less then ESPN do at the current time.

Will be interesting to see how BAMMA does on Channel 5 in September.

I find it a little ridiculous that a champion can turn down fights.

Yes he is in the twilight of his career, and the strongest contender for greatest of all time, but he is a current champion and in a sport, it should be the champions responsibility to compete against whoever the matchmakers decide is the top contender.

I was chatting about it on facebook last night and compared it to this, Imagine if Swansea got to the FA Cup final, beat a few decent teams but when it came to the final, whichever Manchester team is dominant that season decides they dont want to play Swansea as it "wouldn't make much money" or its "not a big match" and instead decide to take on Arsenal, even though Arsenal were knocked out of the competition. Champions should not have the option of turning down a fight. If you hold that belt you are supposed to be the best in the division, by turning down fights you dont answer that question.

If he really wants to cherry pick his fights, go ahead but hand in the belt and let people who actually want to prove their worth compete for the title.

• Paid Members
Will be interesting to see how BAMMA does on Channel 5 in September.

Yeah, I hope they do well. To be honest, I'd have liked UFC to get on 5 properly. PPVs live on 5, maybe prelims live on 5* or 5USA or whatever. TUF and Countdowns on one of them as well.

I'm not sure what the numbers would be like, I imagine the late night live Baseball and Ice Hockey on 5 didn't pull in massive viewing figures at 2 and 3 in the morning a few years back. But it would certainly do better than it has on ESPN being on free TV on a channel everyone with a TV license gets, plus they could advertise to a wider audience.

UFC Europe cards would probably do well. UK, Sweden, Germany cards would be on at 8 or 9pm. Tyson Fury's fights have done pretty well on there I think, sure one of them did very high ratings.

One thing I don't think the UFC does well is getting publicity over here. They promote to the MMA fans, like us and that's it. We're already going to watch though. When David Haye's got a fight coming up he's everywhere. I've seen him on everything from that late night Adrian Chiles thing (Sunday Night Live or something?) to Paul O'Grady's show for fuck's sake. It gets his name out there. Obviously the purple rinse brigade that makes up O'Grady's audience aren't about to tune in for the fights but it's reaching a bigger number and range of eyes as opposed to just advertising to the same people who are going to watch regardless. They don't need to sell their cards to me anymore, I'm sold. They will only grow over here if they get their shit out to more people. It's not rocket science but they've made pretty much no effort to promote themselves outside the usual MMA media outlets.

For UFC 138 they had Rashad Evans pissing about in Tescos signing DVDs. That was it. No Countdown, no TV appearances from fighters, nothing. And then they blame ESPN for stunting their growth over here. ESPN haven't been great but the UFC could do a lot more I reckon. If they wanted to, but I think they're more bothered about other places now. We're like a rough looking ex who they throw a bone to every now and then but the UFC has upgraded to a hot Brazilian girlfriend.

• Paid Members
We're like a rough looking ex who they throw a bone to every now and then but the UFC has upgraded to a hot Brazilian girlfriend.

:laugh:

Agree with everything you said in that post, I think the promotion and positioning of TNA on challenge TV has grown the fanbase for them no end, and really think UFC would benefit from doing the same for a year or two, before going to Sky.

MMA isn't covered on Talksport much, if at all, is it? A 1 hour show on there might pull some ratings on a normaly quiet night (much like wrestling did, but would fit more with the station). I have heard Gareth A Davis on there a handfull of times, but its mostly for boxing.

Out of interest, anyone know if the new ESPN deal includes any of the Prelims? Looking at the schedules for next events it doesn't appear so, but fingers crossed.

• Paid Members
I find it a little ridiculous that a champion can turn down fights.

Yes he is in the twilight of his career, and the strongest contender for greatest of all time, but he is a current champion and in a sport, it should be the champions responsibility to compete against whoever the matchmakers decide is the top contender.

I was chatting about it on facebook last night and compared it to this, Imagine if Swansea got to the FA Cup final, beat a few decent teams but when it came to the final, whichever Manchester team is dominant that season decides they dont want to play Swansea as it "wouldn't make much money" or its "not a big match" and instead decide to take on Arsenal, even though Arsenal were knocked out of the competition. Champions should not have the option of turning down a fight. If you hold that belt you are supposed to be the best in the division, by turning down fights you dont answer that question.

If he really wants to cherry pick his fights, go ahead but hand in the belt and let people who actually want to prove their worth compete for the title.

I do agree in principle, but the main problem is is that whether we like it or not Silva doesn't have much time left. The question is, is there a TRUE number 1 contender now in the middleweight division? I personally would say no. Weidman is the only person who can lay claim to that and for me needs one more fight before being classed as the true number 1 contender.

If an outstanding candidate was around I would have said I agree. But right now the division is in limbo.

I seriously doubt that Silva will be turning down anyone that the UFC deems worthy of facing him for the title. Sure, both him and his team may make noises about not believing the guy in question is worthy (like they did with Chael Sonnen), but at the end of the day I believe he'll fight whoever the UFC decide he has to fight.

He could give up the belt, but this would only lead to whoever holds it next being treated as the MMA equivalent of Tommy Gunn in Rocky V, and none of us want that, do we? ;)

Archived