The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members

Marvellous news Keith, you obviously impressed them. I've always pushed temp work as a good way of getting a chance to show what people can actually do as opposed to what's written on a CV.

Always worked in predominantly female offices. You get treated very well by them if you play it nice.

Happened to a friend just this month where the employer is forever telling them how valued and important they were, but can't give them anymore money even though to recruit someone to do the same work to the same standard would cost more.  Hell, the recruitment costs, disruption, and training alone would cover the first two years.

They got a new job, then all of a sudden the money could be found to entice them to stay.  They politely declined the offer as the time when it would have made a difference had passed.

Just had a similar thing myself, took a new year contract with the school i'm in but there was no mention of a pay rise which is very odd. Found out they have a little pay freeze on all academic staff at the moment and the only way round it is to do some very expensive and arduous courses. However my manager has given me for resigning 6 days holiday which I didn't get to use last time as people kept leaving us short on teachers. Normally they don't roll them over here as Asia is pretty fucking tight on any staff benefits but as recognition of me working my arse off theyre going to give them to me, not sure how on the sly from further up the company it is but was pretty chuffed to have an extra week off.

• Paid Members

Right! After missing the first few days due to having food poisoning, I finally start the Policy and Parliamentary Affairs job today. Excited!

If anyone is looking for white collar recruitment agencies to sign up for, can't recommend Frankley Recruitment enough. They have been an oasis of competence in a desert of useless shysters.

• Paid Members

If you know my history at my current employer, you know they've been extremely accommodating to me. I started in June and soon after took a week off sick. Then in August, I gave my notice to quit and go to Asia for six weeks. Rather than accept that, my MD offered me a six week sabbatical. I returned for two days following my trip and was then off for 8 days sick. Worked one full week and then told my boss I couldn't balance a full time degree and a full time job so he has now offered me part-time work where I'd work two days a week and let him know on an ad-hoc basis if I'd be available for more days.

This is what happens when you're an excellent salesperson. Directors don't want you to leave, no matter what, as long as you're closing. I don't know why I was cursed to be talented at this bullshit and not something much more enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, at least getting the true feedback as to why not getting jobs.. Preston's Call Centre Talent Pool is so small and inbred (most people have worked most places so know everyone else by proxy). Trans it is. Nowt to do with capability.. Just another obstacle to over come.  

Next up more job applications..

Well, at least getting the true feedback as to why not getting jobs.. Preston's Call Centre Talent Pool is so small and inbred (most people have worked most places so know everyone else by proxy). Trans it is. Nowt to do with capability.. Just another obstacle to over come.  

Pat,

That makes it out as if they said "we're not hiring you, because you're trans". I take it that's not what they said?

Also, if that something you mention in your interview/CV ? As surely it doesn't matter really? (I personally wouldn't think it does.)

Pat,

That makes it out as if they said "we're not hiring you, because you're trans". I take it that's not what they said?

Also, if that something you mention in your interview/CV ? As surely it doesn't matter really? (I personally wouldn't think it does.)

The 'official' reason is because although hit all criteria, passed interview that the intake quality was too high as such there are no positions left to offer. Seriously, one of the last feedbacks was 

" Thank you for your application for position X. At this juncture whilst you may have hit all of our criteria for the position X we are unable to offer you the post due to the high calibre of the candidates selected for interview."

Other person who has got a job at place x messages unprompted,  'Did you apply for job x, as they took thie piss out of you and do so on a daily basis because of you being trans',

Cant prove it, so a bit jiggered. Just have to keep plugging away,

Pat,

The 'official' reason is because although hit all criteria, passed interview that the intake quality was too high as such there are no positions left to offer. Seriously, one of the last feedbacks was 

" Thank you for your application for position X. At this juncture whilst you may have hit all of our criteria for the position X we are unable to offer you the post due to the high calibre of the candidates selected for interview."

Other person who has got a job at place x messages unprompted,  'Did you apply for job x, as they took thie piss out of you and do so on a daily basis because of you being trans',

Cant prove it, so a bit jiggered. Just have to keep plugging away,

Hmmm, try and get this person to record one of the upper guys saying something.

But yeah, is it something you mention or even have to mention to them, being trans? I was unaware if its a requirement or not. Thats the funny thing with interviews, you get told "officially" something like 'Sorry there was high influx of...' but very rarely is that the actual reason, as normally its a personal thing that they just dont like you or they personally know somebody whos applying lol.

7 years back I applied for a job and got turned down. The official reason being "people with more experience than you applied and got the job instead", which is fair in my opinion. I applied later in the year again, after a friend got me a foot in the door and they were desperate for staff and for the job. I asked about the last lot on intakes (the first one I applied for) and was told that everybody who had gotten the job had very little to no experience at all, where as I have a degree in this field of work, and have been working in this sector for some years as well. It became apparent that on that day, I wasn't their favourite person, for one reason or another.

• Paid Members

I think it's generally the notion of "bloke in a dress" that still doesn't sit right with people. Women in general suffer worse in interviews.

When I applied for the position of PE teacher in an all-girls school they were polite and just said I wasn't suitably qualified.

When I went back in a wig and high heels they told me to fuck off or they'd call the police.

The blatant sexism was astounding.

Hmmm, try and get this person to record one of the upper guys saying something.

But yeah, is it something you mention or even have to mention to them, being trans? I was unaware if its a requirement or not. Thats the funny thing with interviews, you get told "officially" something like 'Sorry there was high influx of...' but very rarely is that the actual reason, as normally its a personal thing that they just dont like you or they personally know somebody whos applying lol.

7 years back I applied for a job and got turned down. The official reason being "people with more experience than you applied and got the job instead", which is fair in my opinion. I applied later in the year again, after a friend got me a foot in the door and they were desperate for staff and for the job. I asked about the last lot on intakes (the first one I applied for) and was told that everybody who had gotten the job had very little to no experience at all, where as I have a degree in this field of work, and have been working in this sector for some years as well. It became apparent that on that day, I wasn't their favourite person, for one reason or another.

It's not really worth it, it's just frustrating, because the feedback I do get is usually great. 

Went for a 40k ish job with the football league and placed 3rd out of 90 candidates in their interviews after the selection process. The interview guy did a massively detailed feedback about the good, the not so good and whatever. It was really only the lack of more experience in PR stuff as opposed to doing it as bits and bats as other jobs, where I had got the experience and could demonstrate it. The one who did get the position had more direct experience in it and they wanted to rely on that, which is fair enough. 

I'm fully aware about 'on the day stuff' and being a good egg, the feedback where it has got past 'your good but it's not right' is unanimously, good interview, good this, good that, however we've given it to some one else. One of the last interview feedback's given was if there were two jobs you'd have one, I cant give you any feedback aside from that we preferred the other candidate as we wanted to expand our knowledge from people who have worked elsewhere at the same level in different industries (bit Borg like).  So yeah kinda a case of what else can I do?

The official reason being "people with more experience than you applied and got the job instead", which is fair in my opinion.

It's the classic excuse. I'd prefer being told that I was overqualified or they didn't think I'd stick around, but they're probably not as easy to justify should something come of it.

I'd prefer that to be honest.

Pat, could it be beyond the realm of possibility that you just don't interview well and lack communication skills they require? Given your posts on here I wouldn't rule that out.

I've looked at that Keith, and have  answers for pretty much every question whether competency or other style of interviews that all follow STAR or other methods and have been told they are some of the best examples interviewers have seen. It's like fishing around in the dark for a non-existent reason for not getting employment.

As per the response to Mr. E, where I have had interview feedback it's been in depth and good. I think as Surf says below it's the whole, people see 'man in a dress' thing and cant over look it. even though hit their criteria. No one wants to hire a trans person who would or could upset the apple cart as it were by putting noses out of joint and so on. I mean look at all the 'non existent' HR stuff they would have to change. However, it's short sighted 

I think it's generally the notion of "bloke in a dress" that still doesn't sit right with people. Women in general suffer worse in interviews.

Pat, I worked at the Council with a trans guy. Maybe pub sec with all their "equality and diversity" criteria might be the route to go mate?

Got out of the NHS about 2 years ago because it's so backwards thinking/ There is a  complete lack of communication between departments of the same trust and a work ethos that comes straight out of the 1970's. Everyone is set in their ways and basically in situ until someone dies or retires. Progression is nigh on impossible and I've tried in with Council and DWP but though hitting criteria not getting past interview.

I've taken feedback and changed and altered it where it needs doing. I've done Strengthsfinder 2.0 and some other interview and strategy stuff, covered business balls and other websites and job thingies. 

I just dont really know where to go next...