The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members

I've been viewing apartments today and put in an offer on one for the new job. I'm less than a month away now, most people on the project start next week, and I'm alarmingly laid back about it all.

The best bit, assuming I get the one I'm after, is I'll have a cellar. My old house just had a coal shed, I'm stepping up lads.

Edit: Every job I've got has been off the Reed site. I tried loads of sites but it was always there I got something.

Your a sharp bloke John, you will score something quick.

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

The best bit, assuming I get the one in after, is I'll have a cellar. My old house just had a coal shed, I'm stepping up lads.

Nice one Tommy. At this rate, you'll be able to get a house with a proper bedroom in a few years time.

• Paid Members

I dunno. A cellar is just inciting murderous thoughts I reckon.

I'm hoping to go to Austria after here, you know what one of them did with the cellar.

The best bit, assuming I get the one in after, is I'll have a cellar. My old house just had a coal shed, I'm stepping up lads.

Nice one Tommy. At this rate, you'll be able to get a house with a proper bedroom in a few years time.

As a child we had an outside toilet, but my parents worked hard and saved and eventually we could afford a house. Edited by Tommy!

I put a half hearted CV on Indeed yesterday, just as a sort of place holder. Got an offer for an interview from it today! Not interested in the job due to pay and location but was a nice surprise. Had a good chat with the woman and have potentially sold one of my training courses I'm running as a second job.

• Paid Members

I dunno. A cellar is just inciting murderous thoughts I reckon.

I'm hoping to go to Austria after here, you know what one of them did with the cellar.

Well I can't fault you for taking on a project, but reign the urges in Tommy, for God's sake. 

• Paid Members

Firstly, a massive thank you to all of you who responded re my redundancy dilemma recently, I may not have responded but certainly took on board all of your kind words and advice.

I have a related question if anyone has any knowledge, experience or expertise in this area...

So it was formally confirmed today.  However, my nose has been put somewhat out of joint by the way it's being handled. 

In a nutshell...

- My role is being outsourced to an external company

- external company has no place in its structure for me (can absorb my role in other areas of the business)

- Will be made at risk of redundancy on April 1st which is the date services transfer across.

So, as a result, as I understand it, i'll only qualify for redundancy (even though ive been told there will be no role for me) if I stay around long enough to be transferred into the role that will not exist, and then i'll have to wait for them to prepare and conduct a 30 day consultation meaning im potentially employed in a job that dosent exist, doing god knows what, until it's made a formality.

Now normally, id expect, we have no role for you, you're being made redundant, but that isn't what's happening.  Despite knowing they don't need/want me, they are transferring anyway which seems like an almost deliberate attempt to drag it out, knowing i'll likely look to jump ship to avoid the uncertainty and stress, rather than have to pay me out.

Does that sound right? fair? or even legal to anyone with a clue about these things?  I'm sure they'll have done their homework and it's water tight, but I do want to challenge the decision.

A friend of mine had exactly the same thing, and its basically the formalities of: you can either choose voluntary redundancy now OR follow through with the whole transfer thing, because that's the only other step to take.

Completely up to you, In my friends case it worked out due to a mix up in his workplace, and he got to stay on, but it's whatever works out best for yourself/your family.

• Awards Moderator

John, I'm assuming you have a standard redundancy package. You said you haven't had a change of CV in 4 years, so unless you have the most golden of contracts you're due 4 weeks pay. A month's salary essentially.

I would weigh up the value of receiving that sum, including the headaches, effort and extra work involved to fight for it, meanwhile you work in that toxic environment; versus moving on and getting sorted into a new role now.

January is the peak month for jobs so you should be drowning in choice.

I know you want to fight against the evil corporate bastard, but don't let the heart rule the head unless you're confident of an easy win and a decent reward.

• Paid Members

A friend of mine had exactly the same thing, and its basically the formalities of: you can either choose voluntary redundancy now OR follow through with the whole transfer thing, because that's the only other step to take.

Completely up to you, In my friends case it worked out due to a mix up in his workplace, and he got to stay on, but it's whatever works out best for yourself/your family.

That doesn't appear to be the case in this instance though.  I'm not being offered redundancy.  I'm being told I will TUPE transfer, to a job.  Which will then be deleted immediately, and will then have to go through a further consultation about redundancy during which time, it's not clear exactly what I'd be doing since they are saying they wont be continuing the post. 

John, I'm assuming you have a standard redundancy package. You said you haven't had a change of CV in 4 years, so unless you have the most golden of contracts you're due 4 weeks pay. A month's salary essentially.

I would weigh up the value of receiving that sum, including the headaches, effort and extra work involved to fight for it, meanwhile you work in that toxic environment; versus moving on and getting sorted into a new role now.

January is the peak month for jobs so you should be drowning in choice.

I know you want to fight against the evil corporate bastard, but don't let the heart rule the head unless you're confident of an easy win and a decent reward.

Hey mate, oh absolutely.  I know what my entitlement should be, and I've been through this process twice in the same organisation where it was clear that if you did not transfer to the new organisation, you'd be made redundant on X date.  However, this time round, im not being given the option to take redundancy, then being told i'll be made redundant, only after I've transferred.  I just cant understand why it would be done that way for any other reason than to dissuade me from sticking it out.

For example, the transfer happens on 1st April.  So I could interview for a job next week and easily cite a three month notice period should I be successful.  But It isn't a sum that will sustain me for any length of time, so although I feel entitled to it, it's not something I'd be prepared to hold on to at the sake of everything else and wait this whole bullshit scenario to playout.

I'm going to formally challenge the decision and ask for some clear answers as to why it's being done in this way.  A union rep told me that even if I was to transfer over, and then be made redundant, its still my previous employer who'd pay that redundancy, so its no different cost to just make me redundant now?  Just don't understand it at all.

• Awards Moderator

I'm going to formally challenge the decision and ask for some clear answers as to why it's being done in this way.  A union rep told me that even if I was to transfer over, and then be made redundant, its still my previous employer who'd pay that redundancy, so its no different cost to just make me redundant now?  Just don't understand it at all.

New tax year.

That doesn't appear to be the case in this instance though.  I'm not being offered redundancy.  I'm being told I will TUPE transfer, to a job.  Which will then be deleted immediately, and will then have to go through a further consultation about redundancy during which time, it's not clear exactly what I'd be doing since they are saying they wont be continuing the post. 

Oh right, that sucks then. I honestly don't know what to suggest. Are you in a union or anything like that? might be worth consulting a rep regarding if possible.

• Paid Members

Fucking TUPE. My old housing job was transferred under TUPE. When with the council we'd have got a months wage, tax free for each year I'd worked there. The day after TUPE expired we got the redundancy notices, which was one weeks wage per year, sneaky cunts.

Best of luck with it all. You are a pleasent, talented guy, I'm sure something better will come along quickly.