Butch And D-Mal's James Bond Learning Tree Thread

Devon Malcolm

I'm not sure modern audiences are smart enough to understand that Bond is just Bond. Everything has to be cannon now. They'll feel like they have to explain why the lead actor has changed. Really they'd be better off just changing the actor and just not referencing whether he's the old Bond or not because well either get all that endless baggage or we'll have another origin story and it'll end up like the Spiderman franchise. 

Charlie Brooker once had a group of wankers reviewing Skyfall and they complained about Bond looking at his hurt hand because it's "too obvious." Those are the kind of people who'll get all confused if the new actor doesn't have an origin story. 

I actually quite like the new ones for the most part (I'm pretending that Blofeld didn't happen like they'll surely eventually do). They're basically fan fiction shot like heritage movies. Plus it's interesting that we've gone from preposterous movies where a posh British white bloke could travel about and save the world with British engineering to more serious and 'grounded' (at times) movies about that idea. 

• Paid Members

Bond films are now chasing their own tail. There was a time, for a long time, when they were the influence. Now they've been overtaken by those they inspired and are trying to catch up with them themselves. This Bond backstory arc will not help. It's so fucking boring now,

6 minutes ago, Vamp said:

I'm not sure modern audiences are smart enough to understand that Bond is just Bond. Everything has to be cannon now.

Whilst I don't really agree, it does fit in with my "Marvel have ruined cinema" narrative so I'm going to go along with this.

• 4 months later...
  • Paid Members

Front of the Star today is bitching about them trying to make Bond less rapey and make the female characters into actual characters as opposed to just bits of arm candy.