Butch And D-Mal's James Bond Learning Tree Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

A-Ha and Duran Duran. Fuck me, that's a supergroup if I ever saw one.

I DJed at a wedding where the groom was a fan of Duran Duran and the bride was a fan of A-ha, so I'd play them back to back, and try to get a connection. So I obviously played A View To A Kill and The Living Daylights, and the other time I played Hungry Like The Wolf followed by Cry Wolf. Got them marking out. 

Garbage and Lulu? 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Paid Members

I've been rewatching all of these with No Time To Die coming next year, only got Skyfall and Spectre left. I actually enjoy the vast majority of them, with the exception of Goldeneye and Die Another Day which are both fucking boring, and Quantum of Solace which is just a mess. No idea why some of the later Moore efforts get such a bad rep.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I've been rewatching all of these with No Time To Die coming next year, only got Skyfall and Spectre left. I actually enjoy the vast majority of them, with the exception of Goldeneye and Die Another Day which are both fucking boring, and Quantum of Solace which is just a mess. No idea why some of the later Moore efforts get such a bad rep.

Those last few Brosnan films are pretty terrible. I only remembered that I'd seen Quantum of Solace halfway through the second viewing of it. Roger Moore was my favourite Bond,probably because his were the movies that were on TV the most during my youth. I keep meaning to pick up the Timothy Dalton ones because they're great movies. Such a pallette cleanser after the Hollywood excesses of Sir Roger's tenure. They felt a lot more grounded. It's a shame he didn't do more.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

He's held together with wallpaper paste in A View to a Kill.

Aye, he was just a stop-gap for Pierce Brosnan and Roger Moore knew it too, which is why he half-arsed it physically and with the acting. Roger Moore (RIP) knew he was just a stand-in for Brosnan as old Pierce couldn't get out of "Remington Steele" contract. Even Timothy Dalton knew Brosnan was coming. "Octopussy" was shit too. Probably worse than "View to a Kill".

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Octopussy is great fun. The circus section alone is way more entertaining than anything Brosnan did (outside of Tomorrow Never Dies which I love).

Yeah, @bAzTNM#1 has pushed this lie about Octopussy for years. The pre-credits scene is one of the greatest in Bond history. It's great entertainment, which is what Bond films should be.

• 4 weeks later...