Indy wank from the late 90s/early 2000s.

IANdrewDiceClay

Less from the mags back in the day, more from the internet back in the day. I remember hearing a lot of false promise about the following:

Franky The Mobster. Not bad on the mic, actually quite good, awful in the ring. It was rumoured he landed a WWE trial at some point a few years back.

2826344012_small_1.jpg

B-Boy. As far as I know still going? A LOT of hype, never seemed to really live up to it.

b%20boy.jpg

Hook Bomberry. Sure i heard the chant before i saw the wrestler. "HookBomberryHookBomberryHookBomberryHook. HookBomberryHookBomberryHookBomberryHook."

bomberry.jpg

2 Tuff Tony. Who? Yeah. Early days of IWA-MS i think.

4-20c.jpg

Everyone must remember Nick Gage.

nick.jpg

Whatever happened to Nate Hatred? He really was a bag o' shite.

nate_hatred.jpg

As was Wifebeater.

Wifebeater.jpg

Top Gun Talwar seemed to be the name of everyone's lips for about 3 months then seemingly vanished.

02.jpg

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Spyder Nate Webb

03.jpg

Saw him in the WWA in Glasgow, 2002 possibly. Fairly sure that was his biggest gig and don't recall that much from him afterwards, aside from coming out to Teenage Dirtbag in IWA-MS.

Nate Webb! I absolutely loved this guy, one of my favourites. He had such a charm about him that really made you give him your support. Funny on commentary too and I LOVED that entrance. Just great fun to watch all round. I've not really seen him win all that much though he did go to the finals in the 2002 KOTDM.

• Paid Members
Spyder Nate Webb

03.jpg

Saw him in the WWA in Glasgow, 2002 possibly. Fairly sure that was his biggest gig and don't recall that much from him afterwards, aside from coming out to Teenage Dirtbag in IWA-MS.

Nate Webb! I absolutely loved this guy, one of my favourites. He had such a charm about him that really made you give him your support. Funny on commentary too and I LOVED that entrance. Just great fun to watch all round. I've not really seen him win all that much though he did go to the finals in the 2002 KOTDM.

It's all good till the wrestling commences.

He was Dory Funk Jr's pet project, if I remember correctly. Has he ever done any work of note other here, what with being a Brit and all? What came of Shooter Schultz and The Hardkore Kid? They were touted a lot back in the day.

Anyway, Mike Modest (or Tim Vine with a fivehead) was probably one of the CAN'T MISS indy prospects ofd the late 90s/very early 2000s until everyone realised he was 5'3 with a weird shape.

l.jpg

Always remember Schaivone going wild about a match on Nitro with Modest and Daniels saying "these kids were the future of WCW" before Scott Steiner came out and 'broke there ankles' with the weakest looking pipe offence I've ever seen. I thought Modest came across as a bighead on Beyond the Mat and thought too much of himself. Was never going to make it.

Tony Jones! A mate of mine ran a Tony Jones tribute website when we were at school. Beyond the Mat just came out and our mate was well into a bit of Big Tone. Tony Jones even christened it the "Official Tony Jones Fansite". I'll never forget the name "geocities.com/shootertonyjones. They were in constant contact for months. This lad and Tony Jones even did a spot of tape trading. One afternoon, we went to the library to have a go on the comps, and one of my mates went on "another.com". And the username and password was the same one as the Tony Jones webmaster. So he had a look around his emails. Me and Mickfan (who was there as well) was doing the old "thats shocking that mate, no need to be looking through his e-mails". Even though, we were quite intrigued ourselves. Anyway, to be a complete bastard, the lad who hacked into his email account sent Tony Jones an e-mail through the account he just hacked saying "This is Lee's Mam. I'm contacting you to ask why you are trying to sell my 15 year old son video tapes?" etc. etc.

Tony never got in contact with this lad again, and the geocities site was never updated anymore. It was one of those things pals do which the naturals go "fucking harsh that" and admire it as the same time.

Yes! Tony Jones. What a fansite that was. That website probably learnt me alot about modern wrestlers. I remember me and The BarbarIAN would be like "Fuckin' Samoa Joe?!" looking at this chubby lad with frosted tips and a shitty vest, he looked a shadow of himself nowadays. Also learned of Spanky and we wondered why you had to have a dipshit name to be on the US indy scene.

BRAKUS

Powerslam wrote alot about him around 1997, hailed him as the next big thing etc, I remember a few promo's aired on Raw talking about coming after Jeff Jarrett then Bret Hart.

Only saw one match of his from ECW against Taz I think, great body but was awful the Rob Terry of the late 90's.

Always remember Brakus knocking about at the Hart House on Wrestling with Shadows. Looked like he'd just walked in, raked through the cupboards and sat with the family at the table helping himself to there scran without being questioned.

Remember RAW magazine running a piece on OVW. Levithan (the future Batista) and Randy Orton were featured heavily and the 'third man' was this goliath...

1f27c3cf5erussmccullough.jpg

Russ McCullough. Bet he's well pissed off watching how the Animal and the Viper's career's progressed.

Mulling over ECWA's Super 8 Tournament's Wiki brings up some names...

Ace Darling

Lance Diamond

Christian York

Trent Acid

Matt Stryker

Donovan Morgan

Frankie Kazarian

Paul London

and Maryland Championship Wrestling (and the Shane Shamrock Memorial Cup) brings up some memorable names..

Adam Flash

Orlando Jordan

Briscoe Brothers

Remember writing to WWE's website around 2001 to use Brickwall Bradley as Jericho's new bodyguard.

• Awards Moderator

It's not indy as such, but anyone who used to read the Ross Report on WWF.com in the early 2000s will remember him regularly hyping up the likes of Brock Lesnar, Shelton Benjamin and Prototype as being absolutely phenomenal megastars of the future for years before they debuted. I think I was a big fan of each of them before I even knew what they looked like, and Once they each turned up on TV, I remember thinking 'finally! Took them long enough to call him up' followed by 'he looks nothing like I'd imagined'...

Everyone must remember Nick Gage.

nick.jpg

Whatever happened to Nate Hatred? He really was a bag o' shite.

nate_hatred.jpg

As was Wifebeater.

Wifebeater.jpg

I remember seeing pictures of the CZW guys in around 2000 or so and thought there might be something there, if for no other reason Nate Hatred, Zandig, Justice Pain and the Wifebeater all had the bodies of a WWF wrestler. I couldn't quite understand why none of them ever made it to a WWF tryout. When the Wrestling Channel started I figured it out.

• Paid Members
Most of them have been named, but I also remember "Hurricane" John Walters as well. Good look, but very indy, and I always thought "Walters" was a rather un-cool surname to have - always had connotations of "Walter the Softy" from the Beano.

Anyone know what he's doing now?

He's the current champion, top heel and leader of the top heel group in Lucha Libre USA Masked Warriors (the U.S. lucha promotion that was broadcasted on MTV 2 & MTV 3 and is now pretty much a touring promotion). He goes by RJ Brewer in LLUSA.

He popped up in 4FW in Swindon a couple of months ago as well. He was... a later 90s indy guy.

Walters also beat Doug Williams for the ROH Pure title in 2004, losing it to Jay Lethal in 2005.

He's done more than one spell in this country. I think he may have wrestled in IPW:UK (it was obviously memorable!) and Big Benny HG rated him vs Martin Kirby in GPW highly.

He appeared on a Triple X show around the same time he worked the IPW show too.

Was just about to mention him - Ron h2o Waterman or something like that? used to do mma.

On the Daniels thing, i had read alot of reports on him and seen a few pics and thought he looked shite. But then i seen him wrestle down the Skydome in Coventry in October 2000 and he had one of the best matches i have ever seen live, it was against Shina Otharni or however you spell and pronounce it. I was convinced he was going to make it big.

UCW International Tag Team Semi-Finals:

1)Total Destruction - (LX Blade & Phil Barker) mananged by S.K. Jones vs. The

All-Knighters

2) Drew MacDonald & Mike Roberts vs. Paul Tyrell & Paul Sloane

3) Winners of Match 1 vs. Winners of Match 2

UCW International Singles Tournament:

1) "The Shining Light" Stevie Knight vs. "The Heartstopper" Kerry Cabrero

2) "British Beef" Danny Royal vs. Michael Kovac

3) Shinjiro Ohtani vs. "The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels

4) Jody Flash vs. Jonny Storm

5) Match 1 Winner vs. Match 2 Winner

6) Match 3 Winner vs. Match 4 Winner

7) Match 5 Winner vs. Match 6 Winner

Plus "The Anarchist" Doug Williams will throw down a special challenge...

infact theres the card line up

Archived