Indy wank from the late 90s/early 2000s.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Moderators

I wonder what the deal with April Hunter was anyway, being featured so heavily in the shitty magazines of the time, for years, despite being a complete nobody who hadn't done anything. I wonder if there were fans who never got to actually watch wrestling so got all their context from magazines, and thought April Hunter and Dazzling Donovan Morgan were the biggest stars in the world.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember I bought PWI's 100 greatest finishers of 1998 or something to that effect and was absolutely blown away by the description and picture (maybe?) of Mike Quackenbush's FAMOUS finisher the Quackensmash. I would love to be that excited about anything nowadays.

• Paid Members
I wonder what the deal with April Hunter was anyway, being featured so heavily in the shitty magazines of the time, for years, despite being a complete nobody who hadn't done anything. I wonder if there were fans who never got to actually watch wrestling so got all their context from magazines, and thought April Hunter and Dazzling Donovan Morgan were the biggest stars in the world.

I think it was CM Punk, who exposed that one years ago. She called him a mark or something, and he said in an interview that she pays indy promoters and editors to feature her heavily in the pages of the magazines. Probably why she fell off the face of the earth a few years ago when the work dried up. I mean, you dont hear her name anywhere anymore. Just an odd looking thing.

Also, Slyke Wagner Brown, beat her half to death. So a lot of indy promoters probably black balled her for being of the wrong end of domestic abuse. Some promoters are like that.

Was Hardkore Kid, Aaron Aguilera or someone else? I remember the name but that's it, bar I think he was a UPW guy.

Like Snitsky mentioned above, Hardcore Kid and Aaron Aguilera are the same guy.

Glad that the old memory isn't fading too much!

I actually started my post before any of the replies had appeared re the Hardkore Kid, but sadly my super slow mobile isn't the greatest when it comes to posting quick replies on forums.

• Moderators

I think it was CM Punk, who exposed that one years ago. She called him a mark or something, and he said in an interview that she pays indy promoters and editors to feature her heavily in the pages of the magazines. Probably why she fell off the face of the earth a few years ago when the work dried up. I mean, you dont hear her name anywhere anymore. Just an odd looking thing.

I much prefer that notion to the idea that she was wanking off Bill Apter's willy for press.

• Paid Members
I've actually seen Wagner Brown live, at the JAPW 10th Anniversary Show - he looked like a bag of wank, and was actually just a ringside cheerleader for The BLCKout.

To be fair we saw about half the workers on the US indy scene on that show...

• Paid Members
I've actually seen Wagner Brown live, at the JAPW 10th Anniversary Show - he looked like a bag of wank, and was actually just a ringside cheerleader for The BLCKout.

1. B-Boy vs. Sal Rinauro vs. Seth Delay vs. Joker vs. Matt "M-Dogg20" Cross

2. Devon Storm vs. Danny Demanto

3. Crime Time vs. Dirty Rotten Scoundrelz

4. Eddie Kingston vs. Drake Younger

5. Frankie Kazarian vs. AJ Styles

6. Jay Lethal & Azrieal vs. Ruckus & Sabian of BLKOUT

7. Archadia vs. Grim Reefer (Ladder match)

8. Homicide vs. Low Ki

That doesn't sum up how many other people were hanging around - shit, that's not even everyone that was on the show. Where is Bandido Jr.? What about the Christopher Street Connection?

Also, Slyke Wagner Brown, beat her half to death. So a lot of indy promoters probably black balled her for being of the wrong end of domestic abuse. Some promoters are like that.

She stopped wrestling full time about 3 years ago due to a bad back injury but began working a few dates after then to help pay for an operation for her mother, who apparently is/was very unwell.

Yeah, apparently Brown beat her up quite badly and that led to their divorce. She still worked a lot after that though, as did Slyk.

• Paid Members

I came across the line-up for the 2001 King of the Indies tournament the other day. It's an amazing mix of future WWE/TNA names, a couple of "Oh I remember..." and a couple of "Who the fuck?"s:

American Dragon

Samoa Joe

Low Ki

Bison Smith

Tony Jones

AJ Styles

Spanky

Donovan Morgan

Doug Williams

Adam Pierce

Scoot Andrews

Frankie Kazarian

Super Dragon

Jardi Frantz

Vincenzo Massaro

Christopher Daniels

Still find it weird that this is what people think of as "indy" though. To me that still conjures up early-mid nineties indy shows where you'd get one match with the likes of Reckless Youth doing flips and dives, but you'd also get a battle royale, a match with a local DJ/the promoters son, a womans match with Malia Hosaka, and some combination of King Kong Bundy/Demolition Ax/Jimmy Snuka on top.

Closest I ever came to that was an NWA Jersey show I went to in 2000 that had 911 v Derek Domino, King Kong Bundy vs Salvatore Sincere, a woman from a Japanese indy group vs Nicole Bass, Dave Misterio Jr v Donnie B in the "workrate match" and a main event of Crowbar vs Big Dick Dudley in a ladder match.

Worst indy memory? Reckless Youth being repackaged as "The Technician" Tom Carter. He was obviously thinking:

dean-malenko.jpg

Everyone else was thinking:

14-bryant.jpg

• Paid Members

Tony Jones! A mate of mine ran a Tony Jones tribute website when we were at school. Beyond the Mat just came out and our mate was well into a bit of Big Tone. Tony Jones even christened it the "Official Tony Jones Fansite". I'll never forget the name "geocities.com/shootertonyjones. They were in constant contact for months. This lad and Tony Jones even did a spot of tape trading. One afternoon, we went to the library to have a go on the comps, and one of my mates went on "another.com". And the username and password was the same one as the Tony Jones webmaster. So he had a look around his emails. Me and Mickfan (who was there as well) was doing the old "thats shocking that mate, no need to be looking through his e-mails". Even though, we were quite intrigued ourselves. Anyway, to be a complete bastard, the lad who hacked into his email account sent Tony Jones an e-mail through the account he just hacked saying "This is Lee's Mam. I'm contacting you to ask why you are trying to sell my 15 year old son video tapes?" etc. etc.

Tony never got in contact with this lad again, and the geocities site was never updated anymore. It was one of those things pals do which the naturals go "fucking harsh that" and admire it as the same time.

• Paid Members

1. B-Boy vs. Sal Rinauro vs. Seth Delay vs. Joker vs. Matt "M-Dogg20" Cross

2. Devon Storm vs. Danny Demanto

3. Crime Time vs. Dirty Rotten Scoundrelz

4. Eddie Kingston vs. Drake Younger

5. Frankie Kazarian vs. AJ Styles

6. Jay Lethal & Azrieal vs. Ruckus & Sabian of BLKOUT

7. Archadia vs. Grim Reefer (Ladder match)

8. Homicide vs. Low Ki

That doesn't sum up how many other people were hanging around - shit, that's not even everyone that was on the show. Where is Bandido Jr.? What about the Christopher Street Connection?

From the JAPW site the full card was apparently:

October 27, 2007

Archived