Indy wank from the late 90s/early 2000s.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Me and Butch have regularly talked about this in chat, dating back to the Monday Night Wars of 2010 (the better MNW's), and I've been meaning to do a thread for ages, but keep forgetting. I imagine most of us are either around the same age or were into wrestling around the same time over a decade ago. I bet we all saw the same names knocking about in PWI, WOW Magazine or Power Slam, or generally around the internet. What promotions and what names did you always see or even follow? Honestly, some of these magazines made some indy darling (and by that I mean blokes in motor cross outfits) seem like Austin x 10. WOW even said Homeless Jimmy was similar to Mick Foley? Homeless Jimmy!! Anyway, here's a few names I remember.

Note: most of my raving is done from the eyes of someone who never actually saw them wrestle until I was crushed by how shit they were compared to their reviews in the mags.

Christopher Daniels:

07.jpg

No better place to start that Mr. Late 90s himself. I remember hearing he was a mix between Raven and Chris Jericho on the internet when I was at school. So much so I once e-mailed him from the school library asking him when he was going to join the WWF (I'm ashamed to say). Daniels turned up on the second UCW show, wrestling Jody Fleisch and got raves from Rob Butcher, who was never wrong about anything. Of course, Chris Daniels turned up in every single promotion from ROH to 3PW to XWF to the FWA to 1PW to TNA, but he'll always be the super worker with the blonde hair, who I was incredibly disappointed with when I actually saw him wrestle. The definition of overrated. He still smells of late 90s school gym shows in Watford to me. And always will.

Scoot Andrews!

01.jpg

I always saw his name about. Always. He ticked all the boxes of what a Independent wrestler was supposed to be in the late 90s. His name was in every magazine under all of the "on the road" based sections. He'd turn up on Metal and Jakked every few months, doing jobs to the real stars. I think he retired around the time ROH started up. Either he retired or his stock fell. He was a good size name.

Reckless Youth:

2.jpg

The original Bryan Danielson/Samoa Joe/Davey Richards. This bloke was all over the magazines as the King of the Indies. He pre-dated Christopher Daniels. That's how much of a name on the Indy's he was. He was always in the top 10 wrestlers of the month in PWI as well. He seemed to just disappear when ROH and TNA was around. You'd have thought he'd have been the first name on the team sheet when they started up.

The Dirt Bike Kid:

BagOfShite.jpg

YES! Dirt Bike wasn't only the UK's answer to the Chris Benoit, he was also our Paul Heyman. A man who could not only work against someone from a proper promotion like ECW, but he could also put proper wrestlers on the shows he promoted. Dirt Bike was the original Alex Shane of BritWres. There was articles and interviews about him in WOW and Power Slam. He worked Michinoku Pro Wrestling and ECW. Although he ended up leaving Michinoku Pro early after a good pasting by Great Sasuke, and stories of him getting dressed in a bog in the ECW arena because the wrestlers couldn't stand him have always been floating about. Idolized Tom Billington as well. When asked his opinion on Dirt Bike, Dynamite Kid simply said "bag of shite". He wasn't wrong either.

The Messiah:

05.jpg

Everyone used to say "The Next Tommy Dreamer" like that was something we were all waiting with bated breath for. The man's career history makes me piss my sides laughing. Wrestled for the worst wrestling promotion of all time, XPW, and was one of the invaders who turned up at an ECW PPV to cause a scene. Not unlike messers. JBL, Kurt Angle, Christian and the WWE roster who showed up at One Night Stand looking for a scrap, Messiah and his mates left in a bad way also. Messiah was the unlucky fucker who took a pasting for Sal E. Graziano after the XPW lot got dragged from the arena by the ECW lads. That was a good day, compared XPW's version of the Montreal Screwjob. The story goes, Messiah shagged Rob Black's wife, so Rob Black wanted Messiah's cock in a pickle jaw. The thugs who attacked him must have been as inept as Bebop and Rocksteady, because they came back with his thumb. "Well its good, but it has no bellend" Rob Black replied. If it wasnt for his lack of thumb, Messiah probably couldnt have been picked out of a line by his own Mam and Dad. He was typically Indy generic. Black t-shirt and tracky bottoms was to 2001, what kickpads and trucks is in 2012. Bag O' Shite.

Anyone think of anymore?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

The Ballard Brothers used to get a fair bit of column space in WOW.

04.jpg

I think they may well have ended up in developmental or something at some point. I know they were in UPW forever.

I used to see the names Knuckles Nelson and Jimmy Cicero in Apter mags all the time, and I wasn't too impressed when I saw them on Shotgun Challenge. Ditto for Chris Daniels. I preferred Flash Flanagan.

There was The Cheetah Master in ECWA who used to get a lot written about him (and ECWA alot about it), but I never really saw either.

• Moderators

He was Dory Funk Jr's pet project, if I remember correctly. Has he ever done any work of note other here, what with being a Brit and all? What came of Shooter Schultz and The Hardkore Kid? They were touted a lot back in the day.

Anyway, Mike Modest (or Tim Vine with a fivehead) was probably one of the CAN'T MISS indy prospects ofd the late 90s/very early 2000s until everyone realised he was 5'3 with a weird shape.

l.jpg

Vic Grimes.

I remember him getting rave reviews for a Falls Count Anywhere match with Erin O Grady [Crash Holly] in APW that, apparently, resulted in both of them getting signed to WWF.

I remember a dive that he did from the garage doors of APWs home venue had the magazines touting him as the next Mick Foley.

Sadly, he was pretty crap with anyone other than O Grady and only made one appearance for WWF on Shotgun as 'Key' dressed all in white and looking like a fat Mordecai.

His career highlight will be that ridiculously insane bump he took from the scaffolding, courtesy of New Jack, in XPW.

• Paid Members
Does anybody actually know what happened to Dirt Bike Kid? He seems to be the type of guy that would be working for a haulage company now. Christopher Daniels was a guy that was featured in WOW constantly, they bummed him to bits.

Christopher Daniels was the subject of one of the most moronic things I ever heard anyone said, worse than all the times I've had some teenage twatbag suggest that everyone in WWE that has ever been in RoH needs to form a stable immediately, and take all of the titles, and the time that Jericho was doing his Save_Us bit, and people suggested that it might be the Age of the Fall.

I have heard it suggested that Christopher Daniels... was the Higher Power.

• Paid Members
Vic Grimes.

I remember him getting rave reviews for a Falls Count Anywhere match with Erin O Grady [Crash Holly] in APW that, apparently, resulted in both of them getting signed to WWF.

I remember a dive that he did from the garage doors of APWs home venue had the magazines touting him as the next Mick Foley.

Sadly, he was pretty crap with anyone other than O Grady and only made one appearance for WWF on Shotgun as 'Key' dressed all in white and looking like a fat Mordecai.

His career highlight will be that ridiculously insane bump he took from the scaffolding, courtesy of New Jack, in XPW.

I'll always remember him as the fat useless fuck who sat on New Jacks head on PPV.

Was he really touted as something worth while? I just find that so hard to believe because he was such a massive turd in so, so many ways.

• Paid Members

Reckless Youth was the one that came to mind instantly for me. He did get a swing in ROH under his real name, Tom Carter, but he was too bland even for them. In his late 90s peak on magazine coverage, I assumed he'd do well in the WWF one day. But then, I felt the same about Scott Vick and Joe E Legend.

The Backseat Boys were meant to be the next big thing in tag team wrestling, but actually they were crap. The only thing impressive was some of their fairly-quick double team sequences, but they were usually sloppy akin to the Machine Guns after four or five pints. The T-Gimmick looked quite good on a small opponent, but "T-Gimmick" is a fucking heinous name.

If you want to go back even further, Crash The Terminator was always milked like crazy in the mid-nineties indy scene as having the build of someone like Adam Bomb but the high-flying skills of the 1-2-3 Kid and a healthy dose of technical skill too. Then he showed up in WcW as Hugh Morrus, and it was all revealed to be utter bollocks.

Reckless Youth:

2.jpg

The original Bryan Danielson/Samoa Joe/Davey Richards. This bloke was all over the magazines as the King of the Indies. He pre-dated Christopher Daniels. That's how much of a name on the Indy's he was. He was always in the top 10 wrestlers of the month in PWI as well. He seemed to just disappear when ROH and TNA was around. You'd have thought he'd have been the first name on the team sheet when they started up.

He was signed to WWF for a bit on 2000 I think. I seem to remember buying a video of Memphis Championship Wrestling, or something, and he had some [admittedly quite good] matches with K-Kwik [R-Truth] and William Regal.

Archived